Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hyrum Ice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone been up recently? How thick is the ice now and has the ice started to pull away from the shore?
[signature]
Saturday there was almost 8" of ice and edges were good, but I know that's not a lot of help to you today.... I expect that much ice will still be okay for a little while, but caution is always key this time of season... I usually check the damcam to see if people are still fishing there the day before I go... too much fog to tell today anyway not a great test because people are stupid when it comes to safety on ice but at least it lets you know it will still hold something up... If you need the Hyrum dam cam address, just put do a Google search and it will come right up... Good luck... J
[signature]
As of Tuesday there was still a good 6", and I know there was an ice tent out there this morning. There was some water seeping by the shore, but not horrible. What sucked was the rain that fell Tues night!
[signature]
Fishgiver,

I took one of my kiddos down to Hyrum yesterday about 2pm. We were on the SW corner of the reservoir. The edges are really wet. The water was almost to the top of my boots before I hit good ice. We fished in 12-14 feet of water and the ice was 5.5 - 6". The top .5" was a granular ice (not quite slush) that could easily be kicked up with a boot. The ice below this layer looked clear and solid.

I drove past today (no time to fish [frown]) and the edges looked the same, if not soggier. I'm afraid if we keep the daytime temps in the 40's and the nighttime temps in the high 20's Hyrum might be done for the ice season. Keep your fingers crossed for a cold snap!

We caught three planter rainbows and had a few bites and a few under ice releases. They seemed to prefer shrimp on a chartreuse jig.
[signature]