Fishing Forum

Full Version: Catfish Contest Kick Off?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So when are we going to set up the contest for this summer? Did we want to tweek the rules a bit this go around? I still like scoring the top ten fish from each side to involve more people in the team score.. With open water showing up all over it may not be long and the cats will be on the chew... Sort of looking forward to it, other than I get a bit addicted to it... Anyway just starting to get excited for long poles and strong pulls... Later J
[signature]
I would be interested in doing the contest this year and would love some information.
[signature]
Same here! I would love some information as well!
[signature]
Jeff, you need to contact Coyote spinner, John has been the one doing the contest for years as you know and the last I talked with him, he had agreed to do it again this year. Might be a bit early but it never hurts to talk about the rules.
[signature]
Lil Fish-- You're in! I see you live in Santaquin so I assume you would be on the South team. We need ya. Those northern boys -- a course and hasty bunch, have flogged us for the past three years. We need southern recruits.

We have secured a commitment from TubeDude to fish for the South this year so things are definitely looking up. This should be our year to win it all.

We usually don't get started until April or so but with the mild weather I'll bet everybody will be anxious to get started. My hooks are all sharp and I am ready to go as soon as the ice goes away. It's lookin' like Utah Lake will be ice free this week.

Can tell you the contest is a blast. The real fun is in the back and forth banter and sharing experiences and pictures. Five bucks to enter and you are good to go. Stay tuned cuz I'm sure details of this years contest will be coming soon.

Glad to have you aboard.
BLK
[signature]
Oh man, if TD joins the South, we Northerners are gonna have to step up our game. Pat doesn't care much for tanglin' with the big ones but if they're biting...!

And he knows where the big ones hang out... that's why we'll have our work cut out for us.

We usually start the contest around the first of April and go til October. It's a lengthy contest for sure.
[signature]
Hey it will be great to have you with us. I'm hoping you are still in Cache Valley so you don't have to associate with those nasty rebels down south. Plus I'm sure you want to be part of the winning team, and we will be glad to have Ya. Keep following and we will get with John and get the rules out for this year. Thanks J
[signature]
Haha...I have a giant reel that was my big ticket prize for winning last years contest! I am going to need to mount it to a giant pole and try my best to catch a giant catfish so needless to say I'll probably catch little ones now that I'm equipped for the bigguns[Smile]
I think it's going to be a fun contest this year with a better showing from the south, but we're still gonna tune 'em![Tongue]
[signature]
Hey sorry I'm slow replying I had other things that didn't give me much time to respond. Anyway welcome to the forum and to one of the fun activities. We had a lot of fun with this contest over the last several years. There are some great guys and gals that like to encourage and rib each other as we press for the biggest cats we can find. Keep following the posts and the official rules will come out. Per the state law the contest is limited to like 50 people so you will want to register while spots remain, but in past years there has been room for all that want to participate. We hope to find some local sponsors this year and get some prises that are more than bragging rights, but it's more about fun and comarodity. (Sorry can't spell). Anyway it will be great to have you even if you are part of BLK's posse down south. Later J
[signature]
Hey Curt, I'll get with John and the crew and see if we can start the discussion seems the ice is melting. Hey I just finished my last wiper, when are you going to get started chasing them? Hope we get another good year at the bay I really enjoyed that last year. Later J
[signature]
Hey Mike, yup I'm excited to see what we can do this year. It will be a challenge to stay on top especially with TD helping the posse. I'm recruiting my nephews to give the posse some youth competition. Be interesting to see how Pat changes up his game when he goes for big cats. I'll have my notebook out and try to learn. So you need to teach me how to find some suckers they seem to like that flavor. Later J
[signature]
Oh, I'll be getting a LOAD of suckers for bait in May! If you want some just shout out and I'll save you a bunch.
I think I'm gonna enter my two little girls this year. They are fun fishing companions and somehow my oldest girl seems to out fish me in size and numbers. She will be a force to recon with (especially for me!).
[signature]
Keep me in mind for a little sucker if you don't mind. Always nice to be able to mix things up. I know it's probably way too early to start thinking about catfishing, but it sure seems like spring lately. Catch Ya later. J
[signature]
Where are you drawing the geographic line for north and south?
[signature]
Since they first started planting wipers I have never done well for them until the end of April or the beginning of May. I usually start fishing Willard as soon as ice is off but mainly for walleye and if I catch a wiper thats a plus.
[signature]
I think the boundary is north of Salt Lake or SLC and south on the other side, but John has the official boundary, and he will have to let us know for sure. It's usually Utah Lake and Jordon River verses Bear River system and Willard Bay. At least they have been the major players the last couple years. Hope that will help. Later J
[signature]
Curt walleye works fine, looking more for eats than epic battles. Let me know when you start finding a few. Thanks J
[signature]
I live in Cache Valley now I guess I need to update my info. So I will be fighting against you southern boys. I don't know if you can call me a "blue coat" yet because I haven't lived up here long enough to become a local. I will be fishing up north though so sorry boatloadakids.
[signature]
I hope they are done working on the cutler dam project. Hope it gets back up to normal levels and stays that way!!! Hope the big cats come back!
[signature]
Cutler is filled for now, let's hope it stays that way. Hope you join in on the fun this year. Later J
[signature]