Fishing Forum

Full Version: Cut-bait for rainbows and other trout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Always been more of a worm kind of guy or lures for that matter. Talked to a guy the other day at SportsmansWarehouse and he swears by cutbait (suckers) for rainbow trout and other trout species too.

Said he fishes 1x1" chunks of cut sucker on the bottom and the rainbows love it.

I always associated cut-bait with catfishing.... has anyone else done well using cut suckers for rainbows? I've heard of cut sucker on jigs and stuff for tiger trout / lake trout / splake... never heard of dead-sticking it though.
[signature]
Yes.

Switching to cut bait (of various kinds, preferably something in the lake with the target trout) is much more effective than worms in my experience.

I think you got good advise.
[signature]
[quote MasterDaad]Yes.

Switching to cut bait (of various kinds, preferably something in the lake with the target trout) is much more effective than worms in my experience.

I think you got good advise.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Even for rainbows?
[signature]
Big fish eat little fish, laws of nature.

Sure you've heard the saying, "Match the hatch". Ever ice a bow to have it puking up baby perch or bluegill? At Bear Lake tipping jigs with Cisco is commonplace, but sucker meat too. If it works for big lakers and cutts, why not bows?
Place like Strawberry, you can be sure they know what a tasty treat Kokanee fry are, though we can't use game-fish.

The bait and tackle shops will sell us all kinds of artificial options, but comes down to it, fish are opportunistic. And they gotta eat. I mean really - how often do you see earthworms swimming in the bottom/middle of a lake?

A majority of the scents are based on fishy smells. Ok - so there's garlic and anus [crazy] so maybe some trout like their meals well seasoned. No accounting for taste!

Try it, and let us know how you do!

Rainbows : power bait, worm , bubble gum, even cigarette butts. I've seen crazier things work.

I'm sure you could catch them on cut baits...IMHO I'd use chub over sucker[Wink]
[signature]
Suckers eat fish eggs, more of a protect the hatch response. My grandpa always used cutbait and caught lotsa nice big rainbows. Old guys rule.
He always had me sucker fishing when I was a kid.
[signature]
Tipping a tube jig with a chub tail has worked well for me. Sucker tail would be good too, and it doesn't do much to harm the action of the jig while swimming.
[signature]
Hahahahha.....I think you mean anise, not anus![laugh]
Although, any of us who has left a carton of worms in our tackle bag/box probably has fished with anus scented lures and bait!
Don't know about you.....you must fish with some crazy bait[Wink]
[signature]
Yes even for bows.

Chub or Yellow Perch (where legal) are my favorites to use.

Sucker is a good stand-by.

I use worms to tip certain lures (like wedding rings) but jigs for me are almost always cut bait.
[signature]
GMWAHL, I would maybe stick to anus .most baits smell awful. Sorry had to.
[signature]
Last year I was catfishing at Pineview with good sized pieces of mackerel that I brought up from San Diego. Was a weird day, not even one bullhead but I hooked up on a 20" tiger trout and an even better 24" brown!
Maybe I should try cut bait for trout more often, but I'm more of an artificials guy unless I'm catfishin...
[signature]
[quote HD7000]

Last year I was catfishing at Pineview with good sized pieces of mackerel...

[/quote]

Hopefully, "... no larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook.", which is the regulation for Pineview.
[signature]
I know what I said! (on purpose) Always cracks me up to see folks misspell that. Not sure why fish would be attracted to Anise seed, anymore than they would be to garlic, but go figure. Now bubblegum powerbait at community ponds, I get that.

Hey Kent, good pointer on the cutbait size. But one thing I've wondered, from what I've seen at the shores of Newton - is it just cut-FISH-bait? I mean if you're pitching chicken livers, or beef heart, is there a size limit on that too?
From the 2015 guidebook:
Quote:Newton Reservoir, Cache County
• CLOSED to the possession of tiger muskie.
All tiger muskie must be immediately
released.
• Unlawful to use whole fish for bait. Cut [red]baitfish[/red] must not be larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook.
That's all it says about Newton.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
And that's just how I've read it. Seems strange though, limit cutbait FISH, but you can use whatever size of other "meat" baits.

Guess gulp minnows are ok anysize too?