Fishing Forum

Full Version: Strawberry Open Water!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[fishin]My oldest son and oldest grandson went with me from Strawberry Marina to Renegade on four wheelers. There is open water at Haws Point and open water completely across access to Renegade where the old dike went across by the little island at the north of horse bay. We did ride around the open water on the east rocky shoreline. It looks like a pressure ridge that opened and melted 20 yards wide.

"FISHING" was spectacular! "Catching" fish was poor! We caught two rainbows and one below slot cutt in 4 1/2 hours. The ice was 18-20 inches where we drilled. The ice at Renegade was a chorus of moans, groans, pops and cracking. When we saw and heard cracks form a couple times past us at 11:30am, I told Jason it was time to leave and get past the open water towards the "Old Dike" area. Strawberry bay seemed more stable. Three or four groups fishing out from the marina. People were running around so I assume fishing was very slow. The ice along the shore is solid and is literally pushed up on the shore line.

Silver_Eagle
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Interesting place for the iceto open up at though.
[signature]
[quote Silver_Eagle][fishin] and open water completely across access to Renegade where the old dike went across by the little island at the north of horse bay. We did ride around the open water on the east rocky shoreline. It looks like a pressure ridge that opened and melted 20 yards wide.
[/quote]

I could be mistaken, but I believe the area described here is usually a trouble area and is often referred to as a "spring". That spot has sent a couple rigs down to Davy Jones locker over the years.

Sounds like a rough day, catching wise. Did you have a finder to tell if there were fish in the area where you were fishing?
[signature]
[Smile]I usually have my finder or aqua view but had neither. I had a feeling there were fish under us but not biting. The bite was so lite we never saw a pole or line move. With out the JawJackers we would have declared "No Bites!"
My fishing instinct tells me the fish are in their late winter February suspended animation mode.

Two weeks ago the open water was small. 30' by 30' feet between the little island and main mountain. We drove around the spring by riding the snowmobiles along the edge of the island. This trip the open water extended all the way East to the peninsula. It is exactly where the old dike crossed to the peninsula to access Rainbow Point. Three geese flew off open water where Indian Creek enters. At Haws Point we rode around the open area by arching north about 100 feet. There were a couple fishermen south of Haws Point by the little island's open water spring.

Silver_Eagle
[signature]