Fishing Forum

Full Version: Nose-hooking questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to try some drop-shotting as I try to expand my "familiar rigs that I'm comfortable setting up and using effectively" repertoire beyond the split shot, Carolina, and fly/bubble ones I've been using since I started fishing.

I have the stuff for it. My only question is this: I've seen a lot of recommendations on nose-hooking minnows (both real and plastic). Is it just me or does that invite a lot of nibbling on bait without ever getting near the hook? Or do most fish that go after minnows tend to just slurp them down whole?
[signature]
Can't speak for trout or panfish but bass just engulf the whole bait, normally.
[signature]
Yup. The reason why drop-shotting works so well is the unfettered action of the lure/bait. If you put too much hook shank in the bait, it becomes stiff and unnatural looking. You might lose an occasional bait to a little nibbler, but in general, the bigger fish just inhale the thing.

Here's a tip: When drop-shotting, you "jig" the bait bassackwards. In other words, don't jerk upwards first, but DOWNWARDS. You aren't trying to move the weight from the bottom, you're trying to twitch only the bait. Bob the rod tip down an inch or two, not too quickly. You want the bait to wiggle without raising the weight.

And hang on!
[signature]
Most gamefish will eat small bait fish head first. Even when jigging for big laker the fish always attack the head first. When I fish gulp minnows I barely hook them thru the nose, this gives them more action and you would think you would lose some baits to light strikes but they always eat them head first.
[signature]
FishNate, RockyRaab and JasonLaker have given excellent advice and have mirrored my drop-shotting experience. I have never been burned by a nibbler. The opposite has been my experience; they hit the bait so hard that eventually it will tear off of the hook, but the hook is usually soundly embedded in the mouth of the fish. For that reason, you will burn through some baits, but not because the fish are nibbling. Give it a try!
[signature]
Awesome replies all! Looking forward to giving this a shot.

Especially appreciate the advice on jigging down so as to keep the weight anchored. Makes perfect sense, but it hadn't occurred to me.
[signature]
That was kinda my little secret technique. Until now, LOL!

I really like the special Spin Shot hooks, too. Not only do they allow more freedom for the lure and are easier to tie on, but you can use a much lighter test line from the hook to the sinker. If you snag the sinker, the drop line will break, saving the hook and lure.
[signature]
The only time I have trouble with nibblers is when I end up in a school of bluegill or perch. They do on occasion steal your bait. However, there are usually some bigger bass in amongst the panfish, and they always engulf the whole thing.

Sometimes I do fish baits wacky style on a drop shot. A 4" Dinger or Senko can be deadly fished on a drop shot.
[signature]
I want to target bluegills on my next trip (probably skipping class on Thursday, since the weather looks so nice... haha), and I've been reading up, and seen some sites that recommend dropshotting.

I'm catching to eat, so I don't care if it's 20 small ones instead of 5 big ones. For that reason, I'll be using some long shank size 8 gold aberdeen hooks and live bait instead of going with soft plastics. I might play around with dropshotting one rod and just deadsticking another with a regular old bobber and worm.

Anyone ever caught bluegills on dropshot? Like I said, I've seen sites recommending that rig for panfish, but what I understand about them, I would want to avoid nose hooking when targeting them.
[signature]
Before Fishrmn quotes the proclamation - by live bait I hope you mean worms.............
[signature]
Yes, I do haha. I was thinking earthworms or waxies.
[signature]
I sometimes drop shot for gills and perch. I get a small Owner Mosquito hook and a small plastic like this:
[inline smallfry175_3.jpg]
You can also use nymphs and small buggers on a drop shot rig.
[signature]
[quote BHuij]Awesome replies all! Looking forward to giving this a shot.

Especially appreciate the advice on jigging down so as to keep the weight anchored. Makes perfect sense, but it hadn't occurred to me.[/quote]

Haha, I see what you did there!
Great tips all aound. Think nose hooking works best because your actions guides the lure. Good tip from Rocky on bouncing (a little goes a long way). But I'd also suggest don't be afraid to bop that weight once in a while, especially if you have a muddy problem. Stirring up the dirt can draw in the fish. Drop the bait to the bottom, then lift up, maybe even a slight sideways action.

Ever seen a Banjo minnow commercial? No really, good underwater action.

You can have up to three hooks on a line, so you could present multiple offers, sizes. Look like a school.

One other suggestion. Put the DROP on your shot. See it under ice a lot, raise up, the let it all flutter down. Often fish will watch for things that fall into the water and sink. Big trigger.

I'll run a sturdy line, maybe even braid, quick reaction, tight feel to the line, but then a lighter leader to the weight, allow the weight to break off if a snag, as suggested.

Panfish, esp bluegill have smaller mouths, so smaller hooks. Perch are pigs!
I agree with all those tips you added. One other thing to mention is that you can cast them out and drag them back to you to cover water, they aren't just vertical baits. Quite often when I'm in my tube and want to move to another spot, I'll drag a drop shot behind me and sometimes I'll find another group of fish that way.

I always use light braid with a fluoro leader these days. It gives you much greater sensitivity and better hooking ability. It also helps with the line twist problems that can be so problematic with the setup.
[signature]
Great tips on this thread about dropshotting. I use this setup a lot when I'm targeting smallmouth at Jordanelle and will also catch perch and trout this way. I've even dropshotted for trout at the Berry in the softwater and hardwater seasons. One thing that wasn't mentioned is when using the DS rig, there is no need for a hard, eye-crossing hookset as this may dislodge the hook from the fish's mouth. I would just reel up and put pressure on the fish using the tension on the rod, making sure that the line is always tight.

Good luck on the DS rig!
Fantastic recommendations all! Thanks for all the info.

Didn't realize you could have 3 hooks on a line at UL.

Those gills aren't going to know what hit them tomorrow Big Grin
[signature]