Fishing Forum

Full Version: New Trout Going Into Henry's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my buddy came by the shop today and he told me he read an article that there is a new strain of trout going into Henry's that gets to mad sizes. Supposedly about 100,000 are going to be introduced for the first batch. I can't find where he is getting his information. Has anybody heard anything about and where can I find information at? I checked Fish and Game but didn't see anything about it. They are the Gerrard rainbows supposedly. Thanks.
[signature]
Sounds awesome! Perhaps Joni could talk to Damon???
[signature]
I believe I read it in the Standard Journal today. Can't remember for sure. They said new strain and half old. A die will mark the new ones then they will compare size and survival etc.

Windriver
[signature]
It was in the Post Register in Idaho Falls today .
[signature]
It will be a mix of the native cutt and Gerrard (a very fast growing hardy strain) 100,000 3" fingerlings in the fall. And as mentioned a dye to help identify. I wonder how many might be sighted during the ice fishing, this could be interesting. At any rate, it is good news if they can survive making Henry's FULL of big strong Hybrids. Damon is BACK!!!!
[signature]
Can't see where introducing foreign genetics is a very wise thing. It has worked thus far.
[signature]
Aren't they already doing it? Daniels, Chesterfield?
[signature]
Exactly, they've been doing it and it's not working. Kamaloops come from Montana. Kinda like the invasive wolf problem that's coming.
[signature]
Not sure these are exactly Kamloops. I don't know about the wolves. They have been planting Henry's anyway, why not a faster growing fish to fill the demand.
[signature]
I don't fish there, just wonder about the wisdom of genetic modification. Caught great fish there 45 years ago with my grandfather. Fish were awesome then, what happened?
[signature]
Basically just life. The cycles that lakes do go through.
[signature]
The lake has had changes over decades due to the continuous introduction of non-native species.....the only original trout in Henry's Fork were Yellowstone cutthroat. Rainbows were introduced in the late 1800's. People always want something different which messes up the established ecosystems. After that happens it is hard to establish a new equilibrium without constantly throwing more non-natives on top of the ones already stocked.

Gerrard strain Kamloops trout (oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri) are a particular strain native only to Kootneay Lake in British Columbia. The Gerrard strain (named after the river they spawn in) is the only Kamloops strain which has the genetics to grow to extremely large size.

Maybe the lake might be better off with the original species? Just saying.

Brian
[signature]
Don't forget the Brookies. Just giving the people what they want[Wink] Didn't they get those huge Hybrids everyone likes because of Rainbows?
[signature]
Hmm. Does anyone know if they are a sterile strain of gerrard rainbows. I believe they planted a sterile strain of females in American Falls that resulted in some giants.
[signature]
The hybrids are sterile. I know of some people that are catching some big rainbows in American Falls res . I wonder it they are the Females they planted?
[signature]
It is always good to see you Fly. Bike and all.

Idaho

[Smile]
[signature]
I love the cutts and bookies in henrys now but i think that's kind of exciting he Gerard is a outstanding fish that can grow huge. I wonder tho if it will come to the point where they will take over and start to make the fish in the lake now there main food source ?
[signature]
They have been planted in Daniels and Chesterfield for several years and they seem fine.
[signature]
All hybrids and brook trout are sterilized by the F & G now. The hybrids this year will be 100,000 Gerrard/HL cutt cross and 100,000 Hayspur/HL cutt cross, the "normal" hybrids of the past few years. Looks optimistic and hopefully will be good. In years past, the F & G has experimented with the hybrids and brook trout as one year they used a steelhead/cutt cross and in another year they used five different strains of rainbows to cross with the cutts for the hybrids and most were not sterile. Could it be that the second generation hybrids, before all were sterilized, were the ones that lived six years and were the ones that got big? Just a thought????????????

Then in the 1980's they introduced two Canadian strains of brook trout, the Assinicas and Temiscamies, that had a long life span and grew large in their home waters. Not so in Henrys - both strains lasted only two seasons and disappeared.

Hopefully this will be successful and we will be catching 20 pound hybrids in four to five years from now.
[signature]
Thats cool then Would be fantastic if it brought some of the really big fish back the the lake not that they arnt already there they just dont care for anything i offer them
[signature]