Fishing Forum

Full Version: Can anyone ID this fish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was fishing in southwest Florida the other day (specifically pelican bay, just south of Boca Grande, near Cabbage Key and Useppa), and I caught three of these fish. They were probably just under a foot long, had really sharp teeth with no gaps between (like if a human had pointy teeth, rather than like a barracuda with huge gaps), and were brown and spotted. I caught them in about fourteen feet of water on frozen shrimp, by hanging the hook probably four feet above the sea floor. I'm fairly new to fishing so I have no idea what they are, and neither has anyone I've asked yet, so I'd appreciate if someone knew and could tell me. Here are some pictures (not ideal, I know).
Maybe a tiger grouper??!![reply][reply][/reply][/reply]
[signature]
No, I don't think so. They didn't have the stripes, and they had a whole mouthful of teeth, rather than just a few big ones.
[signature]
That's a lizard fish. Not good for much of anything but stealing bait. I have use them as live bait for larger predatory fish with success though. When you start catching those, it's best to pull up and go to a different spot. [Smile]
[signature]
Ah, Yep, that's it. Thank you!
[signature]