Fishing Forum

Full Version: Marine radios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have a marine radio and I am what channel is what. What is the emergency channel that the state or Feds monitor? What are the other channels used for? Thanks! Up until now I have mainly taken an FRS radio out with me.
[signature]
Marine band is the same as VHF. At Bear Lake the state parks monitors MB 16. 156.800 MHz. They don't monitor any other stations that I am aware of.
[signature]
[url "http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf"]http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf[/url]
[signature]
When I turn mine on, I start off on channel 16, once I contact someone, I usually ask them to move to channel 10 to talk. The State parks monitor channel 16 and if you are just talking and not asking for assistance, they will get on you for using that channel to talk.
[signature]
Monitor 16 and only transmit on it if you need assistance. Hail another vessel on 9. Then switch to 68, 69 , 71 or 78a too converse with them.
[signature]
Thanks for the help.
[signature]
So looking at that link you suggested, any channel listed as noncommercial should be used for intership chatter then? And 16 is the emergency channel.
[signature]
That is correct.
[signature]
I'm not disagreeing with Avery but in my experience that listing he gave a link for is used mainly on ocean boats and while it still applies on any body of water, it is seldom used by most freshwater boat fisherman, in Utah anyway. The exception is channel 16, other than that, I have never heard anyone following that chart. We have used channel 10 for a lot of years and never heard anyone complain but I have noticed that the signal does not carry a great distance beyond the body of water you are on, so that could be the reason.
[signature]
if you have a radio in your boat you should always monitor channel 16, 16 is also the hailing frequency . the reason all boater are supposed to monitor 16 is so if there is a emergency all with range can respond , your closest help when on the water is your fellow boaters. if you are down on another channel you can not here hails.
[signature]
I have a marine radio and also carry an FRS radio as well.
[signature]