Fishing Forum

Full Version: Come Hell or High Water ... Bear Lake 1-11-04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Finally, after all our efforts to try to launch at Bear Lake, Fish1on and I were able to get out on the pond for some winter fishing. Thanks much to BearLakeFishGuy for giving us pointers to where to launch now that the marina is all froze up. [/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=92445"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=92445[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We launched at about 8:30 into 31.5 degree water and the air was about 12 degrees and lots of famous Bear Lake F O G G G G. Man-O-Man, thank goodness for GPS. Without it, we would have gone in circles big time. As it was following the GPS even felt like we were going in circles. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We headed for the rock pile area. We were jigging with 5 inch tube jigs tipped with cisco. I used pearl white and Fish1on was using shiny blue tint/pearl with sparkles. We didn't start catching fish until about 10:00. By 11:30 the catching was over. I caught one large white fish (biggest I have ever caught) and three nice cuts. Fish1on boated two nice cuts. All the cuts were natives. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Over the day, through the fog, we seen three other boats out there. One was trolling. From what I could tell, the boats jigging were the most successful.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]95% of the time that we were fishing, we were in a thin crust of ice. We were continually using our fire line to cut through the ice to reposition our lures.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We got off the water at about 2:30 and the water was still 31.5 degrees and the air was still 12 degrees.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have to tell any of you contemplating launching out there, it was truly a new experience for me. The road out to the launch site had SUPER deep holes with water. I was quite worried that my boat was going to tip over! Definitely a 4-wheel-drive situation … and keep up the momentum as you go through the deep slush. Once in the water to launch, you have to back out into the water about 50 yards … water well over the truck's axles before it drops off to float a boat. You can tell how far you have to back by looking for the floating volley-ball buoy.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Today's Bear Lake Fishing expedition was truly big fun … even though we didn't boat Mr. Big. Fish1on is one of those kind of guys that is truly enjoyable to fish along side of. Boy, as much as he enjoyed boating nice cuts, I sure would love to be there when he finally lands Mr. BigMack.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The Bear Lake valley fogged in:[/size][/font]

[inline Fog_Valley.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Launching/Loading is interesting:[/size][/font]

[inline High_Water.gif]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Fish1on with a nice cut:[/size][/font]

[inline Fish1on_Cut.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]My white fish:[/size][/font]

[inline Big_White.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Another nice cut:[/size][/font]

[inline Nice_Cut.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Fish1on pointing to the ball buoy:[/size][/font]

[inline Boey.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Great report! Sounds like the lake is close to freezing then. A good cold spell cold do the trick. Maybe you'll be pulling a sled to get cisco![/size][/font]
[signature]
Great report Coot, great report!

Make sure you get the fluid changed in those axels asap after a dunkin like that!
[signature]
Curious how the guy manning the truck is able to get onto the boat?
[signature]
Your the man Old_Coot, thanks for being the second brave soul on our site to try the new launch area. Were you marking any schools of cisco or did you try and fish shallow (34Ft) on the Rock pile? I wonder how the second launch area is that BLFG was talking about? I've launched near that area before and the water drops off a little faster than the area you launched at today does. We are going to try and get over there on friday, so I hope the cisco are there in bigger numbers by then, I guess time will tell. WH2
[signature]
nice report - great pictures!

sm
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Kent ... It's a 2-man job. The truck driver drives back up onto the shore and parks the truck/trailer. The boat driver floats over to the shore in shallow water and picks up the truck driver. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2 ... We were the first to launch at the 150 North street launch. There were no other tire tracks before us. We had actually checked out both launch spots that BLFG suggested by driving right out to them. We chose 150 North launch just because the road out seemed to be less rough ... and even it was darn rough. We did mark many big schools of cisco coming in. But we never snagged any nor did we target any. I think the rock pile will be a productive cisco snagging area next weekend but there will definitely be a battle with ice by then. It will be iffy as to whether or not cisco will be taken from the rock pile due to ice.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We caught our fish all in one spot in about 65 feet of water north of the pile. We moved around a few times but never caught anything else. On our way out the pile, we marked some big fish suspended at 1.75 miles north of the pile but we never did stop to fish it.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]Nice Post Old_Coot: Looks like it was a job to get that boat on the luqid water, but you guys did it: Great pics too, [angelic] Looks like it won't be long before the Bear will freeze over, at these temps. Hopefully we'll get some cisco fishing in before it does. Glad to see that all your hard work was reworded with some cuts, & a white. Way to go!! [Smile] Great Post.[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
Good report and photos! Looks like cold fun on the water. Sounds like ice is coming to the bear. TM
[signature]
Old Coot,

I cannot ever thank you enough for all your efforts and teachings! Your are a great man and wonderful company!!! I cannot get the Smile off my face!! What a great day on the water, I have been dreaming of it for a long time and you made it come true for me. Thank you again. Bye the way you are smiling in one of the pic's too!! LOL

All,

Old Coot summed up our trip perfectly except for a few minor details! I almost talked him out of launching (WHOOPS) and I need to reel in my fish from the depths a little slower. The two cutts that I boated were released safely but one had a little gas to get rid of for a while! I would have boated a few more but I did not want to be the apprentice that out fished his captain and never got invited fishing again?? LOL Attached are a few more pics to share.

What a great day!!!
[signature]
Yeah he's a great guy, and I had a ball with the "Salsa Boys" on our trip in November, everytime I think about that trip[ I get this ear to ear grin I can't wipe off. What a blast!
[signature]