Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming gorge camping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking at taking the family camping for the first time to flaming gorge. I am wondering of some decent camping spots for a tent or two. My oldest is 11 and my youngest is 5 and all of them love to fish, so somewhere close to the water would be nice. I do have a small 14ft aluminum boat that I will be dragging along so being near a launching point would be nice. If any of you could point me in the right direction, it would help me from wandering around looking for a camping spot. Thanks
[signature]
Depending on if you want to be in a campground or dispersed camping you can pull up a lot of info on google.
[signature]
Lucern is good for tent camping. Boat launch right there, small store, etc. Antelope right in the campground makes it fun for kids. Can shore fish as well.

TiteLines
[signature]
Camp right in the back of sheep creek bay, take the dirt road down, can launch a small boat right in the river mouth and fish the bay.
[signature]
sheep creek bay
[signature]
With that small of a boat, you'll want to fish in the Canyon. Some suggested Sheep Creek, which is good, but other options would be Mustang Ridge Campground (near Mustang Launch) and also Cedar Springs or Deer Run Campgrounds (near Cedar Springs Marina). Each of those have good access, some protection from wind, and you should find good fishing for smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, and even kokanee or lake trout if you have the gear.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
There is a KOA in Manila.
[signature]
Lots of good camping at the Gorge but you did not say if you wanted to be in a developed camp ground, with restrooms or if you are ok with primitive camping[:/].
Two areas I would recommend are Anvil draw and Sheep creek.
The Anvil area has a lot of areas to camp along the shore, that also have protective coves. Depending on how far you go away from the boat launch, there is also a restroom there.
Sheep creek does not have as easy of access to a restroom from the launch area if you want to do primitive camping but there are some nice camp grounds there that can only be accessed by a boat, like Hideout canyon and it does have a restroom.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/hi...rkId=70092
Hope this helps.
WH2
[signature]
Ryno's the man down there trust his recommendations, I was going to suggest Mustang as well it's much prettier down on that end of the reservoir... When are you going or have you already returned??? Hope it was good if you went... later J
[signature]
Having a new travel trailer myself I have my eye on the gorge this next year. [Smile] Time to have some fun!
[signature]