Fishing Forum

Full Version: Is this a freshwater drum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last summer I posted a question regarding a fish I saw scuba diving. I signed up to solicit your help in identifying the fish and since I haven’t fished since my youth I never came back after I got the best answer. So I signed up again with a different name since I don’t remember the one I used last summer to follow up on my post.

After giving a description of a fish I saw we came to the conclusion that it was a freshwater drum. My dive buddies don’t believe me when I told them the size of the fish. Well I went back this summer and took a picture.

This is the fish and here are the dimensions of the wooden side wheel of the ship, six meters, according to records of (The Rothesay)

The picture was taken in the St. Lawrence River, west of Prescott, Ontario, Canada.

Is this a freshwater Drum? It’s about one meter long.

If it makes for good fishing, here is the GPS location 44° 42' 0.54" N, 75° 31' 36.3" W

Thank you

I attached the picture below.
[signature]
Nice looking fish, but we don't have anything like that here in New England. Does you DNR give out fishing regulation books with pictures of fish in it?
[signature]
[quote gdn443]Nice looking fish, but we don't have anything like that here in New England. Does you DNR give out fishing regulation books with pictures of fish in it?[/quote]

Sorry, what is a DNR?
[signature]
Division of Natural Resources or fishing guide books or pamphlets, most fish and game departments give them out for free and they show the different fish you can catch in your state.
Welcome to the site MSD, I'm going to move your post to a board where you might be a better response.
WH2
[signature]
Almost looks like a saltwater rockfish called an olive.
[signature]
Yes it is a fresh water drum or sheepshead. Catch a ton of them down here. Super strong fighters..lots of fun.
[signature]
The color seems a little off for a drum but the the distinguished tail fin sure gives it away as a Drum.

Where did you find this species with this coloration?
[signature]