Fishing Forum

Full Version: PV 9/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took the boat out saturday afternoon to Pineveiw. The water was covered in white boats racing around everywhere !!! defintely one of the busier days i've seen out there. despite the water being churned up and choppy we managed to get on some fish. started off jigging for crappie. used my drift sock to control our speed and we worked depths from 20-40FOW....we managed to jig up a couple dozen crappie using ice jigs and gulp, while holding on for dear life....half dozen yellow bullheads jumped on the night crawler rigs we had set on the bottom as well. we worked the area south of spring cove drifting towards middle inlet beach . crappie maxed out around 8 inches and all were released to get bigger.
moved south towards the damn and found the humminbird lighting up! .....did a controlled drift past the floatillas and bikini's but only managed one bite ( that got off) despite the graph going crazy. im thinkin trout but never fished trout at PV and didnt have the proper gear. wonder how is the trout population in this res??
Anyway, a bit after 6 we put all the light gear away and got geared up to troll for the tigers. pleasure boater traffic lightened up by 630 and we commenced to pulling big baits....about 10 minutes into our troll a rod off the back of the boat goes off ....I feel a few head shakes and yell for the musky net ..turned out being about a 17-18" smallmouth that got foul hooked on a 6" musky lure...aggressive fella...the biggest smallie i have caught in Utah to date. got him released unharmed other than a pierced back......the sun starts dipping lower and lower...the witching hour is upon us.. big hit on a planer board rod .........the planer goes screaming behind the boat , my buddy grabs the rod, i start pullin in the other setups. ( typical mayhem!) ...and after a short fight suddenly hes off!! we'll get him next time........trolled till it was pitch black out there and didnt have any other action Musky weather is coming , be back soon Tigers.
[signature]
Can't wait to see pictures of the follow up!
[signature]
I genuinely pity anyone who can only fish on weekends. Heck, there are enough "unemployed" people in $50,000 ski rigs on Pineview during the week to swamp any small fishing boat.

Not many trout in P'View, but there are some. Your sonar blips could have been them - or carp. It's funny, but whenever I find huge clouds of suspended fish there, I never get bitten, either. I think the poor things are just traumatized by the power squadron.
[signature]
Pineview is always busy. I prefer weekdays up there. Thanks for the report.

Now you said you were slow drifting by the bikinis, you trolling for something else and not using the right bait?[Tongue]
[signature]
haha...cant hurt to look right??!! [Wink] I try to avoid Saturdays in general but with NFL kicking off yesterday I had to brave the crowds .......water temps were around 68 so the power squadron should be shrinkwrapping pretty soon!

RockyRaab.... if those were carp lighting up my fish finder there is a serious population of them!!
I'm going to try jiggin a spoon or tube next time in that area to see if any takers...saw a few different schools of what looked like hundreds of fish stacked from almost top to bottom... they didn't offer at our crappie setups at all and we didnt see any surface activity. there were big schools of carp busting the surface up on the north end of the lake later in the day.
[signature]
[quote Blackellunge]haha...cant hurt to look right??!! [Wink] [/quote]

[Wink]
[signature]
There are some good browns in pineview if you know where to look I hooked this one while fishing for tigers last year
[signature]

[signature]
Trout like 57 degree water. When the lake hits that on the surface you should be in business. Usually I go to Causey,though. No ski boats.
[signature]
Nice trout
[signature]
There are some good browns in PV few years back we were out on the ice and buddy caught a fat brown on a ice fly it was very health fish. I have no doubt that the power squad has changed a lot of feeding habits to night bites in that lake.
[signature]