Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jmax, Chick, Bass, CFF #11, 9/26/15, James, that's why they call it fishing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is why they call it fishing and not catching. You would have thought with the last three times I have hit the lake I had 12 lbs, 9 lbs and 11/10 with my best three that I would have been going into yesterday's tournament with a positive outlook. :o I was not too sure. I even told James I sure hoped the bass had not shut down. The day before when I first got out the bass were hitting well. I had a pretty good limit fairly quickly and it was looking good. However you could feel the temperature dropping and the bass were shutting off. Sad The water depth fell, the temp dropped that night and the bass bite in the grass for us died. There was a part of me that knew this would happen but I think I wanted the frog bite to be on so bad I would not except it.<br /><br />We started with a shakey and should have stayed with it. emoMad Then to add insult to stupidity I did not check my line from the last trip and I must of had a bad spot on it. Working a shakey thru some deeper grass I felt it stop. Picked up on it, it felt hung, then slowly it eased off, a sign of a good bass. Reared back, set the hook, only to have the line break on the hook set. emoDoh Should have retied!<br /><br />Couple shorts came into the boat but no keepers. Went to the frog and started to force feed them a frog. Not a good idea. Had one short actually eat the frog but none other. James had one good one come completely out of the water and jump over his frog only not to come back and eat it. We talked about a spinner bait but neither of us ever put one on. emoTskTsk Bad call. Put a couple more shorts in the boat but could not find the bite we needed. In hind sight we should have gone to a spinner bait, trap or chatter bait along the deeper grass.<br /><br />Finally with time running out and only about an hour left to fish we went back to the shakey and tried to salvage our day. Two skinny 15 and a half inch keepers were managed but the third we never saw. I told James with the struggles we had I would bet the weights would be way down. He thought 12 and a half would win it. Turns out he was right. The day belonged to Earl who had stuck to the blade and chatter fishing grass for 12.61 lbs. CONGRATS Earl! However second was only 4 something and our two skinny keepers took third. emoRolleyes Only five boats weighed anything in. Poor tournament for us with poor choices for the conditions.<br /><br />It still beat sitting at the house watching the tube. emoBigSmile Congrats to Leonard on AOY honors. emoWorthy Jmax