Fishing Forum

Full Version: Monster Lingcod!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fishing for Monster Lingcod and hooked up with a dandy on a Delta Tackle Scampi Tail Glow Jig. We were baiting our hooks with some fish skin which is super tough, stays on like a charm and lasts for hours. Hauling up these huge, great tasting fish is one of the joys of fishing off of Vancouver Island here in British Columbia. It is amazing that you can drive to a fishing destination like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxekMxxj9cg
[signature]
That is huge! Those are great fighters. I caught a few this past year myself. Here is the largest.
[signature]
Nice fish, how big do you think it was? That job must be keeping you busy, we haven't heard much from you since you started your new job.
[signature]
That one looks like about 36 to 38 inches and somewhere around 28lbs. By no means a record fish but always a respectable size on light gear.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]That is huge! Those are great fighters. I caught a few this past year myself. Here is the largest.[/quote]

Thanks. That's a nice ling you got.

[quote wiperhunter2]Nice fish, how big do you think it was? That job must be keeping you busy, we haven't heard much from you since you started your new job.[/quote]

Yeah working a bit more with this job and had some other stuff to do this summer like the brothers wedding and a couple trips to California for some water skiing and a graduation. So fishing has been cut short. Oh well it will be ice fishing season soon.

The fish was 45 inches long and I didn't weigh it till a few days later at home without the gills and no guts she weighed 39 pounds, so I suspect she was closer to 47 to 50 pounds right out of the water
Since there were several fish and another lingcod inside it.

[quote tubeN2]That one looks like about 36 to 38 inches and somewhere around 28lbs. By no means a record fish but always a respectable size on light gear.[/quote]

Haha maybe 25 pounds of fillets! I never said it was a record and that wasn't light gear either.
[signature]
There are places to ice fish there? I guess there must be or you would not have said that other wise, are they closer to where you live? I remember you said it was an hour or two drive to get to the salt water fishing.
[signature]
I see how the extra weight came about. lol. They are vorocious eaters. I pulled up a 35lb ling one time that had a hitchhiker on it. It was another 30lb ling. 2 for the price of one.[cool]
[signature]
When we were pulling them out their guts were full of squid.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]There are places to ice fish there? I guess there must be or you would not have said that other wise, are they closer to where you live? I remember you said it was an hour or two drive to get to the salt water fishing.[/quote]

Yeah I live about 25 minutes from the Ferry Terminal to get across to the island. Can fish the salt right out of the Vancouver area too or out the mouth of the Fraser river, all pretty close to home. I have to drive inland to get to the ice or up to Whistler, about 2 hours away. To me this is a perfect location. We love it!
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]When we were pulling them out their guts were full of squid.[/quote]

It all depends on what they are eating. Some years there is a massive squid float which goes all the way up the coast. Once they hit colder surface water, they will drop in the thermocline and become food for whatever is down there to feed on them.

When I go out to one of my favorite islands, I catch Mackerel or Blue Perch on one rig move that live bait to another rig and drop down deep. Our deep is 20 to 30 fathoms. The Lings are waiting patiently and encounter a struggling bait. WHAM!!! Fish on.

The initial fish that takes your bait may be stuffed with almost anything. Then one latches on to that one. The second one is called a "Hitch Hiker". My best was a 3 Ling pull. That one is called a "Train".

You have to have a crew ready with quick gaffs when you have the Hitch Hiker or the train since only the first one has the hook and the others only hang on out of fear of losing a good meal.

Either way, the stomach contents will blow your mind sometimes.[pirate]
[signature]