Fishing Forum

Full Version: Deer Creek report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Almost went down to Utah Lake today. My friend Brad caught a huge white bass down there yesterday. He said the whites were biting pretty good. Also saw a monster silver fish almost caught. They could see it under the ice but never got it up through the hole. Either a big Largemouth or Walleye.
We decided to do Deer Creek. Parked at Rainbow bay. Talked to a guy that says a few Walleye are being caught on spoons and cut bait. Headed north into the fog. Drilled holes here and there and didn't get a bite. Kept going north until we got to where the bank gets steep. Drilled a hole. Auger ran out of gas. Forgot to fill it this morning. Ice is hard, clear, and about 6 to 8".
Brad went to Heber for gas and I watched our stuff and fished. The water was only 12' where my only hole was.Started getting bites and missing fish. Caught a 15" bow.By the time Brad got back, I had missed several fish and broke my 4# line twice.
We drilled holes out to 42' of water, but all the bites came in less than 14'. Bite slowed about 11:30 and picked up again at about 4:00.We caught three big bow's(around 21 ") and two small ones.Missed a bunch. No Perch or walleye.
Best jig was one of Tube Dudes little 1/16 oz. red head, pink body bait bugs with a flashabou tail and a wax worm.
We tried a lot of stuff at different depths, trying to find a toothy fish. Wish the two pole thing was legal up there. We could have kept searching for eye's while catching a trout here and there.
A guy came and fished with us for a while. He had been all over the north end without a bite. He said people were catching a lot of really small trout around island park. Smaller than the smallest one we got.

Sounds like Willard with the wheeler next weekend.

WalleyeBob
[signature]
so what part of utah lake are the whites biting at heard anything about AFBH
[signature]
How much ice is at utah lake? I don't care how fast or slow it is, Its close and I need to fish. Anyway, If there is enough ice at utah lake, maybe there is enough ice at my favorite local pond not far from there?
Anthony
[signature]
Hey aquaman, we fished Lincoln Beach(warm springs). The white bas and Crappie have been on and off for the last couple weeks. One day it's fast and furious for white's with an occasional Crappie, the next day you can't get a bite.

Ice is safe and hard. Most ice I've seen on Utah Lake in ten years. Hope I can watch it break up this year. You just can't imagine the power of ice until you've seen and heard it come off Utah lake when it's thick.

walleyebob
[signature]
Bob, if you drive to the S/W corner of Willard you will see two roads and gates that go over the top of the dike that you can use to get to the ice. I think it would be easier to go around the first gate with your ATV, we were looking at it today when we were fishing there. Be careful if you go on the ice with your ATV because there are some springs out there but you should be able to see them and stay clear of them, the ice is 7 or 8 inches thick. WH2
[signature]
Thanks WH2, I don't know if I'll be able to get a trailer built for my wheeler by the weekend. Need to build one small enough to put on the snowmobile trailer, but big enough to haul two ice shantees and some gear.
Might just come up and do the walking thing. We have a bad habit of staying late, so we don't want to get too far.

walleyebob
[signature]
The deepest part of Willard is with in 200 yds of the west dike so if you want to fish that area you can walk it. We fished the S/W corner first then moved north to the light pole, we never found any water deeper than 13ft. If you fish anywhere that you need to walk down the rocks be very careful, I stepped threw a hole that was covered in snow and fell down the dike, lucky for me, my foot did not go any deeper in the hole, it would be very easy to break a leg. The walleye bite at Willard is as tough as Deer creek but from what I saw yesterday the afternoon is the best time to fish it. WH2
[signature]