Fishing Forum

Full Version: Electric lake report january 4th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well my father in law and i decided to try our luck at electric lake on monday. We arrived at the north end of the lake and snowmobiled down and fished in 20 FOW for two hours had a couple nibbles no takers though ice was over a foot thick. the fish were real finicky! they would only try to bite once and then they were gone. We moved down to the main part of the lake around 1030 fished just off point west of the dam until 1 the ice was almost 10 inches thick there. i was fishing 50 FOW he was at 20 same thing if you didn't hook it the first time it would bite they would be gone and wouldn't come back. i managed to hook this little guy though!

On the north end there seemed to be a hot spring or something where the lake was still open water. just wondering does anyone think fishing would have been better by that open water ??? has anyone had better luck fishing next to these warm springs vs other parts of a lake??
[signature]
Sounds like a good day to me.
[signature]
Isn't that where the mines pump their sump water into the lake? Probably 45+ degree groundwater. In general, trout prefer water that is 57 degrees.
[signature]
That is probably what it is. i think you're right TT600 trout may prefer that temperature but in the winter when the rest of the lake is frozen and water temp is much colder has anyone had success fishing near a warm spring or around that area where the sump water is pumped into electric lake?
[signature]
lol ok the bubble up is where you are seeing the open water. they are pumping water from a spring on the other side of the mountiain. to make up for the water the lake is losing through the mine... and yes most the time fishing is much better around that area becouse there is a lot of Oxygen in the water, it's the moving water that keeps it open not warmer water... seen guy's head up with long poles and catch a lot of fish in the open water... and fishing the ice near there can be great....

i'm thinking your bait was not quit right if you were not getting good hard hit's.. or you were not moving enough.. there are some 5 to 7 lbs tiger.s in there.. seen some nice ones come out this spring... [cool]
[signature]
Thanks you're probably right i usually fish pieces of minnows but i forgot to grab some before i headed up only had wax worms. I tried alot of different presentations they seemed to hit it if i was just holding it still i did have a couple hits on the drop down but i fished small ratfinkies bigger ice jigs paddle bugs bounced a big spoon around for a while with some powerbait on it. maybe it was location. i think my next trip will be to strawberry and try to get away from the crowds.
thanks for the tips on fishing by that bubble up sure would be nice to pull out a good size tiger out of there one day! guess ill have to put some more time on that lake this season.
[signature]