Fishing Forum

Full Version: Where to fish for stripers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Going down to Vegas for Utah this weekend and planning on fishing Sunday morning. Think my plan is hitting willow beach since it looks to be calm waters. I'm bringing my inflatable boat with me which I power with Suzuki 2.5hp motor. Typically troll when I fish and reading the fishing reports looks like the stripers are deep in lake mead. Don't have downriggers and plan in just long line trolling. Is fishing by Las Vegas marina in lake mead aby good for stripers? All the reports I've read seems to be the best fishing in lake mead are far up north. Can't really travel that fast with my setup. Thanks in advace.
[signature]
Hi Jiggy, welcome to BFT NV. Willow beach is a good choice because there is some protection from the wind provided by the canyon walls. Mead is wide open so wind can be troublesome for small craft, especially for inflatables.

If you do go to Willow on a Sunday or Monday, remember that you cannot go upstream from the marina in a motorized vessel. Fishing can be tough at Willow but most stripers caught will be of better size than what is found at Mead. Throw swimbaits that imitate shad or trout.

Do you have a fishfinder on the boat?
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. Oh man can go upstream on Sunday and monday? Do you know why that is. Unfortunately I don't have a FF. I'm planning on trolling with some shad crank baits and spoons. Also from what it sounds like I'll need a NV or AZ fishing license to fish there. Planning on getting the AZ license since from what I read it allows for 2 poles with its license while with NV need to get an additional endorsement. AZ license was cheaper as well all in all. Looking at some of the videos it looks like the water is pretty slow moving there am I right? Might paddle upstream a little bit to get some excercise. Typically do you know about how deep the river is as well?
[signature]
The river is closed north of Willow's marina due to the yakers and canoer's, "primitive area", paddle only Sunday-Monday. I'm not fond of the regulation....

I'd say the river averages 40-50' depth in the middle, but or course areas far deeper 60-70', and around 100' right at Monkey Hole. There are many shallow sections, reefs, rocks and also submerged timber.

I don't like trolling diving lures at Willow due to the submerged timber, but have done it by sticking to deeper water. I've hung many lures in the submerged timber, and have a lure retriever to get my lures back.

FWIW, I used to fish Willow almost exclusively, but after the USFWS stopped stocking trout, the fishery there has gone down hill fast, for both trout and stripers. I have been there since the hatchery closure, and have caught some big stripers since then, but it's not anything close to when they were stocking trout.

Good luck and have fun!
[signature]
I guess I didn't answer where you "should" fish.... If I had your rig, I'd launch at Government Wash, or now what's left of Government with the low water. With your inflatable you can put-in pretty much anywhere and Government is pretty protected from the main lake.

You mention the north end of the lake doing well, I haven't seen reports of this and haven't been up there in a couple of months, but you could put-in at Echo Bay and mess around in the coves around Echo. I wouldn't venture far from Echo in a small inflatable as that section of the lake can go from dead calm to 2-3' waves in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't cross the lake in that small boat, as you may get stuck on the AZ side....

Crawdad and Boxcar coves would also be an option for shore launching, but they are more exposed to the main lake.
[signature]
Looked up government wash and that's seem to be a good place to go and it's closer to where I'm staying. Looking at the Google maps of government wash looks like there's a paved road that takes you straight to the lake. No boat ramps but do I just stay on that pave road? Scenery pretty good there too? I've read willow beach is pretty scenic. Thanks for all the info man.. you've been a great help
[signature]
Government Wash has a paved road going to the old high water launch ramp, from that parking lot you would take the dirt road on down lake side. Actually, all the places I mentioned you need to go on a dirt road to access the lake, but Echo does have a functioning concrete ramp.

Willow is scenic, but since won't be able to go up river, you would miss half the good stuff. Still pretty down river and a chance to see some big horn sheep, but it's not as good as up river....
[signature]
If you are really into fishing and not sightseeing go to South cove. I found plenty of stripers shallow and near the ramp. It is a similar drive to Willow (500+) miles. The scenery at Willow is a lot better but NOT on a Sunday and not with 2.5 hp. Do not go to South cove or any other part of Mead if the wind is forecast over 10 mph though.
[signature]
Thanks fellas.. just read the updated fishing report here.

http://www.ndow.org/Fish/Fishing_Report/...rn_Nevada/

Las Vegas wash same place as federal wash? I also looked where south cove was and according to Google it's way down across the lake. Think that's too far for me. Government wash or by Las Vegas marina is probably where I would like to go. Also don't have a net to carch shad. Does Walmart in LV typically sell shad or anchovies as bait. Weather looming real good right now! 61* Sunday with 6mph wind. Can't wait to get down there and get away from this 30* weather!
[signature]
Also do stripers typically go deep around this time? Don't have a fish finder or a downright but I do have dips divers that I can use to get my lures in deeper waters when trolling.
[signature]
You can get anchovies at any walmart. Also, they are generally deeper when it's colder. You may want to get some jig's too. I've had a lot of luck with the P Line spinnow type jig from vegas's basspro. its in the saltwater area for some reason, silver with the blue back is the one that i've had the best luck with. $3 can't go wrong

Just saw these things on youtube recently, but don't have one. syncs to your phone lol.
[url "http://www.sportfishingmag.com/fishing-boats/portable-and-castable-fish-finders"]http://www.sportfishingmag.com/...astable-fish-finders[/url]

If you are set on willow and have heavier gear, get an AC plug or other large swimbait. regular hardbaits in my experience don't work too well there... you may want to check the ac plug website forum too. those guys pretty much fish willow year round for big strippers.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. Think I'm gonna head to government wash since it will be close to where I'm staying and it sounds like it's a protected bay. I'll probably troll for a few hours with divers with shad crank baits and spoons. Then may just drift fish with some anchovies. Don't really care if I catch a fish but I'm at least out fishing in 60* weather instead of the freezing cold! I'll let u guys know how it goes.
[signature]
Regarding comments about going upstream from Willow, has anyone ever tracked fish upstream? Last time I hardly saw any fish on the finder and I went 3 mi.
[signature]
Dang no luck at all.. don't even think I got a bite. Did see some fish jumping and what seemed like striper boils not sure though haven't seen one before.. lol.. trolled around and drifted with anchovies out nothing. Oh well still nice getting out fishing in great weather. One thing I am happy about is I got checked for my license by a ranger! Haven't been checked for a license in what seems like forever. Makes that $30 I paid for 1 day out of state w/2pole endorsement worth it!=)
[signature]
[cool]Those fish that were jumping and boiling were most likely gizzard shad. Though some of the jumpers could also be carp. When you see your first striper boil you won't forget it. Nice to see a whole lot of water coming alive with active fish.
[signature]
Come back July - October for striper boils. Worth it!
[signature]
AZ is 55 for a year. That's what I pay. So I can hit Lees Ferry.
Did the ranger ask about the NV AIS sticker or Lake Mead boat stamp? I have never paid either, but I also have never met a ranger. If you pay all the fees a one day trip to Mead can be very spendy. However the gates at Meadview and Echo are rarely staffed.
[signature]
Fishing was tough this last weekend. Bait was slim pickings.
We found schools of stripers in 140 of water East of Sand Island but they wouldn't bite consistently.

We got around 20 fish.

Whizzle,
Fish are closer to Sand Island than last time.

If you are chasing bait this time of year, look for the diving birds.
They are chasing the Shad.
[signature]
That's what I saw at South Cove. Lots of diving birds. The birds were often in very murky water but I had better luck in somewhat clear water. About three feet visibility. The shad probably keep to dirty water to stay alive.
[signature]
seems like I get checked every winter. haha...have your gear in order people.
[signature]
Pages: 1 2