Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ice conditions on Utah Lake and Deer Deer Creek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wanted to hit the ice with grandkids tomorrow close to the valley. Thinking of Utah L. or Deer C.
Any report on them would be great.
Has anyone fished the Abyss this season, if so what is the ice like.
Thanks, I want to get fishing on the ice.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Had a report on the Abyss this week. Ice is thick enough...but the water around it is not deep enough to allow fish to move into it. Less than a foot of water all around it. Anglers fishing it found very few fish and nothing of any size.

There is hit and miss fishing inside some of the harbors. Again, skinny water...less than 2 feet deep in most spots. But fish do move in and out...until too many noisy anglers start drilling holes and stomping on the ice over the shallow water.

The big run of white bass off the first spring was over quickly. The fish moved out and are scattered around the lake. Very difficult to find any concentrations. You have to be lucky to find a "fish highway" that the fish move through. Then drill some holes and wait for them to join you.

This is a year of low water and reduced white bass numbers. Too much to expect a barn burner day. But you can sometimes find small groups of perch, crappie or bluegills if you are good...and lucky. Get there early, set up quietly and don't move around a lot on top of the ice.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for update. Can you provide an update of thickness of ice?
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude, I always enjoy your reports. I'm still using some of your lures I got on a visit with you at your house years ago.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry. Meant to include that.

Report from midlake (abyss) was 3 1/2" of good ice. Might be more in protected harbors that froze earlier. And with warming temps this week the edges could get soft...along with weakening ice cover. Always do test holes or carry a spud bar when ice is iffy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote flashyfish2]Thanks TubeDude, I always enjoy your reports. I'm still using some of your lures I got on a visit with you at your house years ago.[/quote]

[#0000FF]What a coincidence! I still use some of the lures I make too. Even caught a fish on one once.

I appreciate your appreciation.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the update.
[signature]
I fished to the left of the island boat ramp near the highway at Deer Creek yesterday. The ice was about six inches thick. Found some browns in 28 ft of water. Caught three and kept two of them. I did venture out to deeper water and marked fish at near 60 ft. I never enticed any at that depth, but I am guessing they could have been bass, walleye or perch. I will hit it again next week with some different presentations for those deep fish and see if I can get an identity of what they are.
[signature]