Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lake trout reproductions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been after the elusive 40lb lake trout for a few years now. When I catch this monster fish or one close to it I would like to take a bunch of pics and measurements and release it so someone else can catch it in the future. I have no desire to kill one for a skin mount.

My question to you folks is..... who do the hardcore lake trout guys use for reproductions when they get a monster from the gorge?
[signature]
Outdoorsman1
I'm relatively new to the forum. Usually browsing but not posting. Lol
I've been a taxidermist for many years specializing in fish, both skin and replicas and enjoy doing both.
One misconception involving replicas is that there are fish molds and castings for every species and size imaginable.
Mackinaw/ Lake Trout are very limited to GOOD QUALITY replicas.
Many people calling are disappointed to find out after releasing their trophy of a lifetime that there is nothing close available.
Good news is I have been focused on molding a high quality line of mackinaw that are very detailed and lifelike.
At present I have around 20 finished in the 20 to mid 30 lb range with a couple just slightly over 40.
I'll try and post an attachment of one and if it goes through I can post some more in the future and sizes to go with them for any one interested.
I can always e-mail or text pics and sizes to anyone interested also.
Thanks, John
John Holley's Taxidermy
Mapleton,Utah
801-787-7783
[signature]
Hey hey. Looks like it went through!
Here are a couple more. The first pic is the same fish reversed to show the opposite side is just as good as the front.
Second pic is of both replica (on top at 41 lbs) and two skin mounts on the bottom that are many years old. Hope it's ok with the mods to post these.
Thanks again ,John
[signature]
Those are impressive! Nice looking fish....
[signature]
Nice looking replicas.
[signature]
Outdoorsman1, You thinking early June?[Wink]

Mr. Holley, those look very good! If you've been at it for a while in this area, you've probably done a few for some of my customers over the years/decades. I'd be interested in your basic rate to pass along to my customers as an option.

With all due respect to Mr. Holley, I know of a couple of taxidermists who have access to many more than 20 molds. Further, they have the ability to actually make their own molds and forms for any size or proportions for a lake trout. I've had a few customers have 45+ pound lakers done by him, and the length and girth measurements we quicky took on the boat matched the mounts spot-on. Speaking of spots, they matched too! When you compare the 16"X24" print, or in a few cases the 24"X36" print that was supplied to the taxidermist, the fish is exactly replicated as far as our eyes could tell, holding the print next to the finished fish.

I used to have another taxidermist who could mold the fish from a slightly larger mold, and then finish that cast off down to the exact measurements. He's no longer with us, but I actually watched him do part of that process one time, and it was all to make the cast to the exact specifications for the customer. His shop could have been on the EPA toxic superfund list, but the final mount was perfect.

The best one I know still living and working has told me that if I ever have someone catch a 60- or 70-pounder and bring him the measurements and a couple of good enlarged photos, he can make the mold and replicate it. Not for $10 or $20 an inch either. Try $30 or $40, at last check, probably plus a little extra for the custom mold.

We (they) have the technology and skill to reproduce a fish's proportions, be it a "football" small-head big-bodied fish, "normal" proportioned, or any other shape. Being its an art, some have more ability than others.

And to answer the original question specifically, I've been recommending Jerry Chivers in the Wasatch Front area for a very long time, and haven't had anyone come back to me with disappointment. I assume he is still working. He's done more 30-45 pound replicas for my customers than I can count. Mr. Holley's photos look pretty nice too though! Pay both a personal visit?
[signature]
Contact Jerry Chivers in SLC. Jerry has been doing reproductions for years and has a HUGE inventory of molds from fish that he has done for people. You should be able to Google him or call Rick Kinross at Robertsons Marine to get a phone number !! Some of his work is displayed at Sportsman's Warehouse stores, Lakers and big Rainbows mostly.
I am always thinking the 40lb is coming next trip, however, the odds are tripled when I go with you Jim! June would be great, why dont you tell them to bite my hook![Wink]

I like the idea of enlarging a photo for the artist to compare his work to, I will do that. I would like my replica to be exact or very close to what it naturally looked like. I am sure that Mr Holley as well as Mr Chivers does excellent work and I will reach out to both of them to see what they have. Thank you for the information gentlemen....I appreciate it.
[signature]
I'm interested in your mid-thirty pound range lakers that you already have finished. I caught a 36 pounder at the Gorge last June. What would a replica mount of that size cost?
[signature]
UintaIce,
Thanks for your interest. Sent you a pm
John
[signature]
Outdoorsman 1,
Thanks to you and all the nice replies and pm's I've received from others as well.
Your 40 will come and I would love to put one together for you.

I won't hijack your thread but I hope you'll allow me to respond to
TarponJim as it may answer some of your questions also.

Jim, first let me thank you for your nice remarks.
I didn't find your post insulting in any way and should have possibly presented it a little better.
I have been in the fish taxidermy business for over 40 years and through out that time have also accumulated a collection of over 400 various molds.
I also have the ability to slice and dice various castings to come up with a close representation of a customers fish. I have also created them from scratch.
With that being said, many of my molds and others are outdated and to bring one up to today's standards is very time consuming and costly. Hence my statement of being limited to GOOD QUALITY mackinaw replicas.
Because of that I have decided to take the necessary time and huge expense to start a new updated line of replicas that are far superior and more affordable in the long run.
I think you are actually confirming and substantiating my case by saying it can be done but not at an affordable rate for the majority of customers.
I liken it to someone going into a body and fender shop and asking for them to build a '64 Mustang for them to exact specs from scratch. While it may be done, they had better be prepared for a very pricey quote.
At any rate I appreciate your reply.

Outdoorsman1, I would suggest and recommend that you visit various shops and view their work, prices, time frame etc. and then when that time comes that you catch that trophy you'll already have made your choice. Good luck to you and again thank you all.
John
[signature]
I second the motion with Jerry Chivers. I have a beautiful laker reproduction he did for me. Looks fantastic! I recommended him to my buddy and his looks great too. He literally has hundreds of molds, many species although both of ours were lake trout. Thank you Captain Jim Williams for helping us both into these and many more great Macks!!
[signature]