Fishing Forum

Full Version: GORGE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heading to the Gorge in the next few days and was wondering how the fishing has been doing. We will be fishing out of Lucerne and trying for anything that wants to bite. I was also going to try for some catfish up by Firehole, has anybody had much luck catching them at the Gorge? You don't hear much about them being caught up there, is it worth the effort?
[signature]
Local info: Whole raw shrimp, at night, near the confluence. Up to 20+ pounds, but regularly 3-5 lbs. Reliable sources, I've seen the evidence.

Bring your rain/snow gear. Haven't seen the sun in days. Forecast is for better by mid-week, but it said that for this weekend a few days ago too. Its been mostly snotty and cold for two weeks.
[signature]
[quote

Bring your rain/snow gear. Haven't seen the sun in days. Forecast is for better by mid-week, but it said that for this weekend a few days ago too. Its been mostly snotty and cold for two weeks.[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be their Monday, If my wife saw this she would stay home.
Hope the Lucerne camp ground is open.
[signature]
If you can give us an update. I will be going over Wednesday. Look forward to seeing your report.
[signature]
[quote Patchydog]If you can give us an update. I will be going over Wednesday. Look forward to seeing your report.[/quote]

I will be there Wed also. Look for my Tracker Boat.

It is a big Lake so it will be hard to find me.
[signature]
kokanee are scattered and really high in the water column you can catch them but cant see them on the finder. Longer lines and down rigger less than 10 feet. I thnk it's going to be a good year for big ones as they are already big.

Lake Trout are scattered around also. The pups have been really easy to catch and it has been much better farther up north, the big ones I can't tell you about since I have not caught one over 12 yet.

We have caught some big Ling 8+ pounds! We caught them jigging and trolling in the middle of the day and a week ago we we fished until 12:30 am on what might have been the last day the wind wasn't nuking and we caught plenty with steady action

Talked to several that have been doing good catching slimbows and they are circling the boat ramps

Sounds like the Gorge[Wink] Now all you need is winter to take a break!
[signature]
Thanks. I'm not going to try real hard for the cats but just see what I can get to bite.
[signature]
Thanks for the info! Might have to break out the planner boards and give them a try. Where were you catching them burbot?
[signature]
For sure tell you guys how I do! Hopefully we run into eachother, I will keep an eye out for your boat. I will be camping at either the Lucerne campground or swim beach. I should be up there the same day as most of you guys.
[signature]
[quote sharksugar101]Thanks for the info! Might have to break out the planner boards and give them a try. Where were you catching them burbot?[/quote]

squaw hollow area
[signature]
Thanks again.
[signature]
Good luck with the wind, I may have to change my plan to take the boat out on Friday if it keeps up.
[signature]
I think once this front passes all will be ok, except for the normal 1:30 - 5:00 o-clock gorge winds.
[signature]
Well its pretty slow going so far. Seems like the only thing I can get to bite is the rainbows in the back of canyons or close to the shore line. I see all them people catching rainbows by the boat docks and want no part of that. Seems like I see the same people leave and then come back to fill their stringer up and keep doing it all day every day. The kokanee are shallow like was mentioned and get one here and there but the lake trout I'm having a hard time finding. I got plenty of time so I will keep at it. It was really nice weather for a couple of days then not so much. Haven't even tried for catfish yet. Think there would be any cats at the mouth of the river in Lucerne bay?
[signature]
I don't think the catfish are worth going after anywhere on the lake. They have not managed for them for a long time. I would keep trolling Kokanee gear between anvil and buckboard somewhere. I have been hearing some nice reports of good sized kokes. They should bite all day when it's cloudy and a little rainy. I hate to have to cross big bend when a storm blows through so be careful.
[signature]
I'll be up Wednesday evening. Fishing through sunday. If you see my boat say hi. I will have my marine radio on.
[signature]
Will do!
[signature]
I will be at the gorge Friday thru Sunday in my red Weldcraft. Say hello if you see us. We are going to start early in Linwood bay and then move over to swim beach area.

You do realize it is derby weekend? There are nearly 400 boats in the derby @ $200 per boat. It will be a crowded lake, so I would avoid it if you are not going to be in the derby.

Last week on a scouting trip we caught one 29 lb. lake trout. One guy caught 12 the day before, one around 40 lbs. He said they all but turned off after the weather turned colder.
[signature]
Do you mind sharing where at you just were fishing?

Ive yet to make it up this year, every time I want to go the weather report scares me away.
[signature]
As my post indicated, we started in Linwood bay and went over to swim beach trolling. Linwood bay is the bay just to the right of the Lucerne marina as you are leaving the marina. Swim beach is around the corner to the left just into the Wyoming side.

My suggestions are to look for depths between 60-85 feet and troll in those troughs or grooves. Hopefully you have a fish finder with weigh point marking capability. As I troll over lake trout laying on the bottom, I mark them on my sonar. This generates a type of pick line that I use to circle back and troll over them again. When trolling slows down, I go back to the marked points and anchor above the lazy lake trout and jig right in their faces...bounce a big white tube jig with about a 1 oz. jig head weight right on the bottom and raise and hold about 6 inches above the bottom and drop it and raise it again about every 10 seconds. This really irritates the lakers and gets them biting. My MinnKota keeps us anchored via GPS, but a conventional anchor will do the same job.

Good luck....Bob
[signature]