Fishing Forum

Full Version: Crayfish At Strawberry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if anyone had been after the crayfish at Strawberry and are they active?
[signature]
[quote FishinFool53]I was wondering if anyone had been after the crayfish at Strawberry and are they active?[/quote]

They were very active near us yesterday over on the Soldier Creek side.
[signature]
We were on the soldier creek side on Thursday night and Friday and they were very active. We dropped a few nets over by the rocky island just out by the marina and were able to get a dinners worth out of there. The kids got a kick out of "playing with their food"[Wink]

There was a group at the marina that seemed to be catching a few from the shore as well
[signature]
Just a note, and this is purely a suggestion, but if you want to be conscientious about the crawfishs' mating cycle, it might be a good idea to check any bugs you catch for eggs. At least some should still be bearing a bundle of eggs under their tails at this point in June. Of course crawfish in Strawberry are far from endangered, so if you want to keep every bug and just pick the eggs off later, that's up to you.
[signature]
Yeah around this time it seems crayfish have a lot more eggs.. typically by the end of July I when crayfish won't have eggs..
[signature]
Was at the Strawberry bay marina today. Didn't try to catch any, but could see dozens under the courtesy docks.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]It seems that every trip to either side (Berry/SC) I see plenty o 'dads under the docks. Set traps and come back in an hour and they would be full. Did that a couple of weeks ago on the Berry side but forgot to go back for 5 hours. Some jackhole stole both my traps. Grrrrrrrrrr![/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Planning on taking the grand kids over this weekend to have some fun. As for the female grayfish with eggs I always return them to the water.
[signature]