Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jmax, Chick, Bass, 7/29/16, James but not for long.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got on the water at HBSP with James. Started to idle out to go to Chester. James's phone rings and he gets a very concerned look on his face. Hangs up and says, "Jim, my dad is heading to the ER, I have to go back and head there too." emoEek Turn around, take James back to the park, say a little prayer for his dad and I am rattled for the rest of the night.<br /><br />Had to fish this one alone now. I was just not myself, I think I kept thinking about James and his dad. Thoughts about loosing my dad a couple years ago started taking over my mind.<br /><br />I will say that considering what I had caught about a week ago I was really looking forward to this one. I thought James and I might win it. What a difference a week makes. emoConfused Went to my first three places and it was the dead sea. I could not even buy a bite. Nothing! Three hours into the tournament and I had managed one little short bass. Worst start all year. I had to scramble and just junk fish. About 10 o'clock I feel the line get mushy, realize it was a fish, set the hook and in comes one at 3/7. Yea! Finally one in the well. I had gone to the faithful shakey.<br /><br />About one short bass later and another hour, repeat, set the hook on a mushy line and in comes a 3/2. emoSmile Now about 11:00 and thinking one kicker and I might even get a check in this one. Next freaking cast, line loads up and I set the hook. It does not move! emoEek It starts to sound on me heading for deep water. I could tell it was a bass and really got excited. I will save you all the drama, about three runs later and drag pulling out I have the fish right under the boat. It has never jumped. I grab the net, see a submarine of a bass and.....MISS THE DANG THING!!!!! It pulls drag again, I have to put the net down, reel line in again and this time she comes up on top for the first time. I will guess a good 8+, I got the net extended out toward her, she is floating my way, rod in one hand and net in the other. I got her half way in the net laying on the net's edge, she flops, hook comes out, I try to net her and pick it up at the same time, SHE FLOPS OFF THE FRONT OF THE NET BACK INTO THE WATER!!!!! emoDoh emoBawl I threw the net down and cried! Did I ever need a partner on that one. I learned later that one would have been second place for me. emoBawl <br /><br />I was really screwed now. Lost James and now got to think about loosing the biggest bass I have had all year. emoMad About midnight now, feel a thump and in comes keeper number three, 2/7. Finally I am thinking to myself, I got a freaking three fish limit. Make a couple more moves, a couple more smaller keepers that won't help. Time running out and I am flipping some structure. Line hangs up, pull on it to get it free and my hang up pulls back! emoCrazy Set the hook, it locks down, I am thinking no way...I am going to have a chance for another big one. emoDance I hold on tight while it is bull dogging, make about two turns of the handle and she just comes unbuttoned. emoHoppingmad I was so discussed I wanted to just leave. <br /><br />Needed the points so I headed back to Chester hoping to at least get some decent points to maintain my lead on the AOTY honors. Got there and sounded like some cry baby because all I could talk about was the big ones that got away. emoRedface Thought the night was a bust for me. Patrick say they are paying three places and third place is, "Jmax, with 9 lbs even." What!!! Really!!! You kidding me!!! In my discuss of talking about the ones I lost I did not realize I got lucky and still got paid. emoTongue Just goes to show you that you never know. Put a good spin on a bad night.<br /><br />Thanks for putting it on guys, congrats to Bob and Billy on their kick ass win!!! emoWorthy <br /><br />(PS) got a text from James and it does appear his dad is gonna be OK. emoAngel Jmax