Fishing Forum

Full Version: Dropshot, CFF #11 - Chickamauga, Bass, 8/19/2016, Copyman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<br /> After blasting everyone off we headed up river and stopped in behind a marina to fish a grassy point before dark. After missing two on a W/P I finally was able to boat two fairly quickly. About dark, I made the comment that I thought with the water being up and submerging some of the grass in the back of the marina that we should be able to find some fish, so we took a chance and stayed where we were. In about 10 minutes we boated 4 fish on a Missile Baits Tomahawk worm and the night was on. We fished the same 200 yard stretch nearly the entire evening, catching 41 total fish. The problem was size. Nearly every fish was between 14.5 and 15.5 inches. As we finished the stretch the first time, I loudly asked the Lord to give us two big bites...about five minutes later I hooked one, and after battling him to the boat, the line broke. I slammed down my rod and buried my head on the boat seat. I then replied to Dusty that the problem was I asked for two big bites, not two big catches. We regrouped and a few casts later caught our biggest fish on a Missile Baits Da Bomb in Bruiser Blue. We kept fishing and about ten minutes later a boat pulled right up next to us with a young kid, who started asking us about our fishing. All of sudden he takes out a fishing rod and starts casting right where we are casting. I gave Dusty the WTH look multiple times before we hooked another fish that turned out to be a keeper. He finally left and went over to aggravate Flyman and Creekrunner, who were fish opposite us. We stayed with our pattern until around 12:30, and left the spot still catching fish as we just kept catching small keepers that would not help us cull. We headed back over to a grassy spot that I hoped would hold a kicker. On the 2-3rd cast I got a tick-tick and set the hook. The fish immediately splashed the water and I was hopeful we had the kicker we needed. Unfortunately, after Dusty netted the fish he made the comment about how skinny it was. Voila! It was skinny because it was a mud cat that decided it wanted a worm for late night snack. We fished the grass a little longer with nothing more than a few small bites.<br /> We finished the night catching 41 on the pattern of the flooded grass, concentrating especially on overhanging trees and branches. We caught all our fish on Missile Baits Tomahawk Worm, Culprit Worm, Missile Baits Da Bomb, and the infamous Whopper Plopper. We knew heading in we did not have much weight, but it helped build some confidence from a disastrous CFF #10 with some good numbers of fish and a pattern that held, even after the rain moved in. Congrats to Roy and Nick on a great bag of fish and for Flyman and Creekrunner for continuing back on the other side further than we went and catching a bigger largemouth.