Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jmax, Chick, Bass, Monday night dog fight, 2nd place and prefishing the CFF, 8/15/16, Derek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the CBA Derek and I had, we were thinking we might be able to repeat that and take a win at the Monday night dogfight yesterday. With the chance of rain, poor bite, winds and lots of clouds in our area it seemed to have kept a few boats home. Sad Only ten boats showed up to fish this one. Derek and I have been focused on two distinct different patterns. One is grass edges and the other is drop ledge edges. Both have the common factor of some kind of change. The grass bite is a point, a drop to deep water or a pocket along a grass edge. Take that same idea and now apply it to the ledge bite. Has to be a contour change in the ledge.<br /><br />We thought if we hauled butt to a deep bite ledge before the sun started to set we might get in on the afternoon late bite. It did not to happen. emoRolleyes A couple small ones and a couple shorts and that bite just died on the vine. That was our hopes of the big bite. It appeared again the fish were there but getting them to bite was about impossible. We probably messed up spending the first two hours we had of the three hour tournament trying to force feed them deep. Feel it may have cost us the win. emoScratch With one hour remaining we hauled to the grass. I was drowning a shakey and Derek was drowning a jig. Both worked but neither produced a big bite. We were able to cull up but instead of pounds it was only ounces. We had one just over three, one just under three and one in the mid two pound range for eight pounds and some change. We had a total of eight keepers but you can tell by our three best the size was lacking. We knew it was tough, our weight got bumped out of first by Steve Barnes and Pitts who had 9.89. Their night I don't think was all that good either, their success was the one big one they had that went 5.77 that also took big bass of the tournament. Other then that one they only had two little squeaker keepers at just two pounds each. Congrats on the win, that is how it is done. <br /><br />Our grass on the Chick is really looking good. emoDance It is only a matter of time before the deep bite totally dies, the shad and bream in force move shallow into that grass and the bass will follow. I am really looking forward to this happening this year. I hope I am right with us having one of our best top water grass bites this year. It sure looks like it is shaping up that way. I have no idea if we are talking two weeks or two months. History says that bite gets really good around Oct. With the grass looking the way it is right now I am wondering if Sept. might actually be the start. Only time will tell.<br /><br />Derek asked me last night why I was still posting while most folks have stopped. emoConfused Could be boredom emoLaugh , could be tooting my own horn emoRolleyes , but to sit here and think about it I have to say it is the people in my life that has shared their knowledge with me that has showed me and helped me to learn and know the little I do know about fishing and hunting. I often think of my Dad, as most people would say their parents made the biggest impression on them. That is the same with me. He was never too busy to show me and help me in whatever way he thought was best. Be it fishing for grouper along the Key West coast or deer hunting in the southern bottomlands of Arkansas, he was there for me. I have lost a lot of folks in my life at my age. Good friends who left too soon, teachers, parents and co-workers who were there to help me along. I can't say for sure but those folks, in my mind, seem to push me to share. I don't mind sharing, but don't call me up while your in a tournament and ask me where to cast! emoEek Seriously? Especially when you consider we will be fishing against each other this coming weekend. emoPoke (I won't name names.) emoDoh The Lord has bless me and us all to have the resources we do here in the great state of TN. Share it with someone. Take a kid fishing, take a co-worker fishing, don't take yourself so serious about these tournaments we fish that you would think you were fishing for the Bass Masters Classic. emoBigSmile <br /><br />Well, I will get off my soap box now. emoRedface The rain for our CFF tournament is now looking like it will not happen Friday night. emoDance Suppose to be cool and cloudy with only a slight small chance of a shower. The full moon will also make for a great night. Last night it was like there was a street light overhead, should be that way Friday night too. Hope to see you out there! emoAngler Jmax