Fishing Forum

Full Version: float tube tragedy 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After I had a great evening on Strawberry earlier in the week, I persuaded a friend from school to go out with my on Saturday afternoon. A stiff afternoon wind forced us to start away from the main points I had previously fished, and we didn't pick up any fish in the first hour or so. After moving to the Haws Point area for sunset, a slight breeze stayed up, and there was no surface activity. We ended with no fish and no strikes--my first complete failure of the year.

When I arrived home, I unloaded my float tubes, fins ,waders, etc. in my underground parking space and then moved my truck back to the street. By the time I got back to my parking spot, both tubes and all of the equipment were gone. I talked to the police department, and they said that things are routinely stolen from (open) underground parking. But who would take some muddy, wet float tubes and waders? I would like to believe it was a fisherman who really needed a way of getting out on the water. That wouldn't be so bad, then.
[signature]
Wow, that sucks.
[signature]
All I can say is that you have a great attitude toward thiefs. I doubt that I could be that kind.
[signature]
Some of the places that we take parts to down in the city have lots of vagrants living on the streets and you would be surprised at the variety of things that they try to sell.

Anything from batteries and car seat covers to anything else that they could boost.

Sorry for your loss.
[signature]
Wow, that is not good at all. I really hope it was not a fisherman, I would think fishermen were raised better then that. Hope you get it back.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No video surveillance available in that area?[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
You are to kind. last winter I had all my ice gear stolen out of my garage. My first thought was I hope the thief would walk on some thin ice and fall in.
Lucky for me Brigham City Police did a great job on finding the thief and recovered most of my stuff. At lest the big stuff auger tent and sled just need to replace heater and some tackle . Hope they find your gear.
[signature]
Thanks for the words of support.

The best thing is I don't leave my fly rod out of sight, so it is safe. I've checked about surveillance footage, so that might turn up something. I'm impressed that the police have recovered fishing equipment in the past. The officer I spoke with did not sound optimistic, but I guess you never know.
[signature]
Sorry to hear that for you. It's Sad what people do these days, can't trust the public at all anymore. Hope the police can help ya out. Later J
[signature]
Ya know these are not fishermen there just using the stuff for Drugs. That's what the street people do after spending the day conning people for cash for food? Don't kid yourself, we need to stop the buyers and sellers. Don't support the conmen.
[signature]
I'm 76 yrs. old but will still say this. If I ever catch a someone stealing like that, one of us won't go away under their own power.
[signature]
[quote doitall5000]Ya know these are not fishermen there just using the stuff for Drugs. That's what the street people do after spending the day conning people for cash for food? Don't kid yourself, we need to stop the buyers and sellers. Don't support the conmen.[/quote] winner winner i 100 percent so many people running cons you can't tell if someone need legitimate help
[signature]
I think I might have a picture of you and your buddy floating out under that full moon. Pretty cool night. I was fishing Haws Point as the sun went down and moon came up. My daughter caught two slot cutts in between trying to burn what little scrap weeds there were.

Sorry to hear about the crooks. I agree that it is probably someone going after anything that isn't nailed down that they may be able to pawn or sell for drugs rather than a sportsman. The Sad thing is that they all do legitimately need help, but they all want it on their terms which really won't help at all (a handout, or some other enabling behavior.) It's Sad because I work in a field that really does provide services that would help, but there are many who chose not to utilize those services appropriately.
[signature]
That must have been us! It was impressive with the moon, but I liked it even better a week ago today, when the cutthroats were rising by moonlight. I believe we saw you catch at least one. Glad someone was getting them on Saturday. I think we spent too much time around the other side of the point, where we failed to locate any fish.

It's definitely important work to provide services to folks in need, even if part of the challenge is getting people to utilize them. Thanks and take care.
[signature]
Check it out!
[signature]
6x-- Good luck with your efforts to recover your stolen gear. As others have said, most likely not a fisherman but a person in need of drugs. I lost a Honda generator to a thief who took the item out of my shop. Makes you really Angry.

I have mixed thoughts about catching someone like that in the act. The best scenario would be that the cowardly thief bolts and your property is safe. But what might happen if you catch or confront the thief and there is an altercation? Very likely somebody is going to take a thumpin' (see GEEZER's post above). If it is you who gets beat up you have little recourse... if the thief is caught he spends a day or two in jail and is back in business.

If the thief gets beat to a bloody pulp and is hauled of on a stretcher to recover he comes back and sews you ("sew" used as in sewer rather that sue) for taking the law into your own hands and maiming him to the point where he can no longer "work". The time and money to defend yourself can run you into the poor house.

Most of us "senior fishermen" can remember a time when a hand shake confirmed a sale rather than a lengthy and complicated contract, when people left the keys in their cars, their doors unlocked at night, and Fido was the "security system." Very Sad that there are now so many people who are desperate to find anything of value that they can steal just to make a quick buck to feed an addiction or whatever. A Sad symptom of a deteriorating society.

I'm through. I'm going deer hunting.

BLK
[signature]
Hey 6x: Keep a close eye on places like KSL, Ebay, etc. They will not try and take it to a pawn shop because the value there is very small. On line selling forums will be where they will try and dump it for cash. Real bummer about the whole thing. It is all about drugs. Hope the police in your area will follow through on it, they get so many of these that it is almost impossible for them to keep track of them all. If you have pics of the gear, you can increase the odds of getting it back by giving them to the police and to local pawn shops.

As to catching someone in the act. Unless you have the training to deal with a criminal, you are better off getting a good description for the cops. Use your cell phone camera to get a shot(s) of them, even follow them in your vehicle, but getting into an altercation with them is not a good idea. They are usually high and as such will feel no pain. You can hit them with a real haymaker and they will shrug it off. Good example is when the police hit someone with a Taser and it has no effect, that means drugs. Certain drugs will give the person almost superhuman strength and immunity to things like a Taser or even a smack from a billy club. It is really scary !! Also, if you attack them, you open yourself up for prosecution for assault and physical injury !!
Therapist--good advice about watching KSL, etc. I've looked there a few times but need to keep checking. Also, agreed about avoiding altercations.

REPETER--Great picture! I hope to get out on Strawberry at least once more before the season ends. Maybe we'll see you there again.

Boatloadakids--My experience with actual fishermen has always been positive. I've never had anything taken out of my truck while I was on the water or camping. And I've had several things returned to me. So I'm mostly still optimistic, once I get out of my garage Smile
[signature]
As much as I hate thieves and what the drug epidemic has done to perpetuate the problem, the thread title lead me to believe that someone may have died on the water over the weekend. I'd like to think there is a special place in heII for thieves, but also believe that if they chose to use the help available to them then they would not be living life as they are. I also work where part of my job has to do with the homeless veteran population and it is simply discouraging, but all I can do is pray for them and hope for the best.
[signature]
Sorry--didn't mean to raise a false alarm. Just a tragedy of float tubes, not of people on float tubes. I see how that might have seemed suggested, though.

I imagine it is discouraging, though important, work. Take care.
[signature]