Fishing Forum
Starvation Help help help!!! - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Strawberry, Scofield, Starvation Fish Report Arch (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Starvation Help help help!!! (/showthread.php?tid=1045849)

Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-05-2018

All of the posts that I have seen on Starvation have not been real favorable for Walleye but I ran into a friend that said he killed it out there a week ago. Has anyone been out there to that can confirm that report. He showed me a picture of a 7lb Walleye and I couldn't help getting excited seeing I have reservations for the 6th and 7th. I haven't fished Starvation that much and need all the help I can get.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fanatic] Starvation Help help help!!! - Kent - 07-05-2018

Sounds like your friend would be your best source.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fanatic] Starvation Help help help!!! - catchinon - 07-05-2018

I know you are looking for reports from people who have fished there personally, but I thought this info from the DWR Fishing Report might help.

Starvation Reservoir
Fair

Anglers are having the best success for walleye in the early morning and late evenings fishing with glow-in-the-dark jigheads, curlytail lures and nightcrawlers. Anglers should fish shallow, sloping shorelines with rock and some vegetation, and make sure to set the hook when you feel a bump. Smallmouth fishing has also picked up along the rocky edges. Biologists have been conducting surveys and have found high densities of smaller walleye. Anglers are being encouraged to harvest these small walleye to help balance the fishery and produce healthier walleye populations. Biologists are also asking anglers to voluntarily release crappie to help establish the population. (06-26-18)

From other research, it seems that the lake has lots of structure; learning how to fish that could be a key to your success.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fanatic] Starvation Help help help!!! - RockyRaab - 07-05-2018

Make sure you check the road reports. TV said Hwy 40 is closed due to the fire.
[signature]

Re: [RockyRaab] Starvation Help help help!!! - a_bow_nut - 07-05-2018

Watching the walleye seminar that the DWR has on YouTube says that the east shoreline from the bridge up to the river can be a good area foe eyes.

Hope the smoke doesn't choke you out of the area.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] Starvation Help help help!!! - lovetofish - 07-05-2018

Have you ever noticed that the reports that the DWR put on the web page are exact copies of Big Fish and other forum reports.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-05-2018

Thanks, I appreciate it!!
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - parryd - 07-05-2018

I fished it last weekend with my son. You can pick up Walleye in Rabbit Gulch off most rocky points in 15-20 fow. 1/8 - 1/4oz heads and 3" gulp minnows did the trick for us on Walleye and smallmouth. Those two islands out in the middle ish are a great starting point. The best walleye fishing I've ever had was up near the bridge off of those shelves... my boat is small so the wind kept us out of there last week.
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-05-2018

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.
[signature]

Re: [parryd] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-05-2018

Thanks, sounds like a game plan to me.
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - catchinon - 07-06-2018

Chicken and egg question. I know that the reports at Sportsman's are exact copies. I rely most on this forum, so long as people post regularly. And now that I'm a member I can ask and get insightful and generous answers. You all are great.
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - gofish435 - 07-06-2018

[quote lovetofish]Have you ever noticed that the reports that the DWR put on the web page are exact copies of Big Fish and other forum reports.[/quote]

I know the DWR get reports from their CO's and others in the field along with some angler reports also. They also include results from resent gillnetting in some of their reports to give anglers a better understanding of how the fish are doing The fact that they are reading reports on this site and copying some of the information should make folks feel good about posting.

If you want some lame fishing reports all you have to do is look at the Idaho Fish & Game site. They post the their stocking report.[:/]
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - RonPaulFan - 07-06-2018

[quote lovetofish]Have you ever noticed that the reports that the DWR put on the web page are exact copies of Big Fish and other forum reports.[/quote]

Here's a funny example of that concept:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1024839;search_string=indians;#1024839
[signature]

Re: [RonPaulFan] Starvation Help help help!!! - catchinon - 07-06-2018

When I went to that thread I found this forecast for last winter posted by Wiperhunter2 in October:

"Warmer than normal temp wise but wetter than normal precipitation wise for Northern Utah. "

Well, at least they were half right!
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] Starvation Help help help!!! - RonPaulFan - 07-07-2018

It likely wasn't finished loading. For me, it pops down to my post there which is a humorous parallel to getting information from groups. If the link doesn't bring you to a post from me, then scroll down from there to see my reply.

Ronald Smile

Re: [RonPaulFan] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-07-2018

I am just getting ready to head out on Starvation I am heading to the north end where the pipe comes in. I was going to Rabbit mulch campground but it is closed do to the fire. I will let you know how the evening run goes.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fanatic] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-07-2018

This evening didn't go well a little windy so we didn't put in until 7:30 pm and fished till 10pm. Because of the wind we fished Indian bay and it only produced a half dozen small mouth and a slimmer. 40 is now open so we will launch from the Rabbit Gulch campground around 5am I think we will have better luck.
[signature]

Re: [lovetofish] Starvation Help help help!!! - T-DOG91 - 07-07-2018

I literally saw my report on the Ogden river one day on the DWR fishing report.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fanatic] Starvation Help help help!!! - doitall5000 - 07-07-2018

So the camping at rabbit gulch has not been affected by the fire? Has the fishing been Hot?
[signature]

Re: [doitall5000] Starvation Help help help!!! - fish_fanatic - 07-07-2018

Pretty good this morning.
[signature]