Fishing Forum
Releasing fish - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Board (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Releasing fish (/showthread.php?tid=1052840)

Releasing fish - FatBiker - 10-11-2018

This is an interesting read.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/10/09/fish-hook-injuries-slow-feeding/#.W79SqdBME0M
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - Kent - 10-11-2018

That is interesting and makes sense.
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - Vivid-Dawn - 10-11-2018

Other stuff can harm them, too, I've been told. Too much handling can remove the protective slime, hanging them up by thier gills (instead of cradling them horizontally) can hurt them.

I only release if I legally have to... otherwise, yummy for the tummy [Tongue]
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - dubob - 10-22-2018

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Sorry; I didn't find it interesting at all. Just more bovine excrement of the highest odor from a Kalifornia cesspool of lower learning. With statements like these (quoted from the article), I didn't find ANYTHING that was worth knowing.[/#][/font]
Quote:something else is at play that is not yet understood.
Quote:whether the slowed eating makes a meaningful difference in their health.
Quote:unknowns make it too early to suggest any changes
Quote:catch-and-release practices are still certainly better for fish populations than not releasing the fish at all.
Quote:it’s all too soon to say
[signature]

Re: [dubob] Releasing fish - catchinon - 10-27-2018

I also had some concerns with the study, but thought I would just let it go until you brought it up again. I try to look at things on the level that they are presented. As one interested in science, I have to question the design of their study. Anyone who has ever had a hole stuck in them, or observed it in other humans and animals, knows that nature takes its course and heals that wound in short order. If they really wanted to know the affects they should do a longitudinal study where they keep track of how the wound progresses over time. I'm pretty sure they would find that it heals right up and has no long-term deleterious effect.

This made me think of something else. I was fishing with a grandpa and his grandson this summer. The boy asked his grandfather if it hurt worms when we put them on hooks. He said it did. Not sure I agree. I have heard that worms, fish and other lower forms do not have the brain capacity to feel pain the way we do; thus the expression, "No brain, no pain." Anybody have a comment on this?
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] Releasing fish - dubob - 10-30-2018

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As to pain in animals, I'm fairly certain they do feel pain based on watching the reaction of animals when wounded or injured. However, their nervous system probably doesn't register it the way ours does. I would also guess that the receptor system in animals is far less evolved than ours.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]All humans will voice pain; we yell, scream, use profanity, etc. when we are injured. Some animals do, but only initially. Other animals don't voice pain at all. And some animals have no ability to voice pain.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have never put a hook in a worm that didn't react to the act. But does it feel it the same way we would; there is no way to know.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [dubob] Releasing fish - FatBiker - 11-02-2018

Another informative article on first and pain.

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming/fish/fish-feel-pain/
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - dubob - 11-02-2018

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]ANYTHING put out by PETA is bovine excrement of the VERY highest odor and I wouldn't read it if you paid me to read it.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [dubob] Releasing fish - FatBiker - 11-03-2018

Mr. Hicks, if you don't believe anything coming out of California and refuse to read anything published by PETA, perhaps this mean you're a victim of source bias?
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - dubob - 11-03-2018

[quote FatBiker]Mr. Hicks, if you don't believe anything coming out of California and refuse to read anything published by PETA, perhaps this mean you're a victim of source bias?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Or perhaps I'm just not a victim of the ultra-liberal, far left political hogwash coming out of those cesspools of ignorant libtards. And you are free to believe whatever you want.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [FatBiker] Releasing fish - Kent - 11-04-2018

Interesting read and the conclusions seem reasonable. Still not ready to quit fishing and become a vegan (as the article suggests) though.
[signature]

Re: [kentofnsl] Releasing fish - riverdog - 11-04-2018

Agreed. The closest I could possibly become to a vegan is giving up animal products except fish. Ok plus occasional cheese for homemade pizza that I make about once a month. However to each their own. If we have room for the NRA which hasn’t represented sportsman well for several decades we have room for PETA which has never represented sportsman. While I don’t agree overwhelmingly with either group there is a right to free speech. There is a reason that right is protected by the very First Admendment to the Constitution.
[signature]

Re: [riverdog] Releasing fish - Kent - 11-04-2018

Not eating fish would not be a problem for me. Not eating chicken, turkey, pork and beef would be a bigger challenge.
[signature]

Re: [riverdog] Releasing fish - dubob - 11-04-2018

[quote riverdog]While I don’t agree overwhelmingly with either group there is a right to free speech. There is a reason that right is protected by the very First Admendment to the Constitution.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I 100% agree with, and fully support, free speech as guarantied by the First Amendment. I spent over 20 years of my adult life doing my very small part in protecting that right and all the others we have as citizens of this great country.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]HOWEVER, comma, I am absolutely under no obligation to listen to that free speech or support the [/#800000][#800000]political hogwash [/#800000][#800000]being put forth in that free speech by [/#800000][#800000]ultra-liberal, far left cesspools of ignorant libtards such as PETA and Kalifornia institutions of lower learning.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I fully support your right to decide for yourself if PETA or Kalifornia institutions of lower learning provide anything of value to you. They don't for me. Tight lines to one and all.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] Releasing fish - willami - 11-05-2018

Quote: I have heard that worms, fish and other lower forms do not have the brain capacity to feel pain the way we do; thus the expression, "No brain, no pain." Anybody have a comment on this?

Nothing good comes from trying to emphasize with animals on either side of the debate, they have no anthropomorphic characteristics but we give them human aspects in our minds. Sticking to science and not trying to think like a fish or a worm would be a good start. How would any animal survive without feeling pain? Can you take a night crawler into the sun, pour salt on it and poke it with a needle and say its not smart enough to feel that- or say its going through agony like we would? Neither is correct but the answer lies in the middle. I think fish feel and think in very primitive ways but they've been doing it longer then we have.
When I use live baits, I try to respect it and the fish as much as possible and sometimes slip up but I don't justify it or tear up when things aren't perfect.
Catch and release always does some damage to fish and people should have sympathy and follow basic laws of nature ; Would anyone in say that chocking a bird so it can't swallow then using it on the end of your line to catch fish is acceptable although to some it is? Views about fishing ethics are kind of like politics, largely based on where you live and the people around you.
Neither way is doing nature any favor, I clean up lots of line and trash and just as much of it is lure related where I fish, its just that worms containers are large, easy to see and float some and A-holes leave tubs of liver and so on, A-holes can be members of any group.
Poor wildlife management, growing population, pollution and so on are the real enemies of fish in America, but worldwide they're quickly loosing the war.

There's only one way to know what a fish feels and that's reincarnation. I remember hearing of something a Native American said ,like that, about hunting and fishing, basically if the time comes where he is now the pray captured and the animal is the man hunting him he will have made a equal or happy exchange. Maybe some among us, like the litterers and the wasteful, might even have to experience the worms perspective on the topic.
[signature]