Fishing Forum
New boat and Lincoln Beach - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: New boat and Lincoln Beach (/showthread.php?tid=1082053)

Pages: 1 2

New boat and Lincoln Beach - catchinon - 08-28-2019

So my wife and I were trying to find a yard sale in the hinterlands of Mapleton when I spied a boat for sale in a field beside a nice home. I don't know about you all but I often stop to look at things like jeeps and boats I see along the way, even if I'm not really currently in the market. After she got over me jamming on the brakes my wife was okay about me checking it out. I called the guy and he said it was listed on KSL so I looked at it there and then later took ice_sled to check it out in person. My wife surprised me when she was enthusiastic about me thinking of buying it. It is a 1999 Tracker Pro Deep V17 with a 90 hp Mercury, a 6 hp Nissan four stroke and a 65 pound Minn Kota, two manual down riggers, two sonars, etc. Everything I could use for fishing except some rod holders. It's practically identical to BLK's and is in exceptional condition; the guy has really taken care of it. It's way nicer than I ever expected to get in a fishing boat. After a lot of financing rigamarole and other finagling I finally bought it. Then I had to wait a week while we were on a funeral trip to pick it up.

Ben and I got together yesterday and took her out. We caught a couple of cookie cutters each and missed a few more.

He showed me the ropes and it was a bit of a learning curve. Talking about ropes, we couldn't even find a single one to tie up at the dock. Ben had some small cord in his pickup so we got it secured long enough to get our gear aboard. The boat has all kinds of places to store stuff and eventually we found the mooring ropes.

I have a few questions for you experienced boat people, but I'll post those on the Boats forum. What I need now is a bit more hands-on practice. My wife insists, and she's right, that I have someone along so I'll be safe until I get the hang of it all. I'm not sure that I can launch and load well if at all. So if anyone would like to join me for a fishing trip or just a shakedown I would greatly appreciate it. You could PM me if that is something you could do. BLK is going to go over everything with me, but I could use a few more lessons.

Sorry to ramble on so, but I'm pretty excited about it [Smile].
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - SkunkedAgain - 08-28-2019

Craig congrats, it sounds like a great boat. I'll bet you'll have a lot of fun in that one... Got most of the toys you'll ever need... Here's wishing you the best luck... Later Jeff
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Jig-fisher - 08-28-2019

That sounds like a great boat. I haven't seen you post much lately, now I know why. I've been looking for a new one as well, but just haven't found what I am looking for. Hope you get into them.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Boatloadakids - 08-28-2019

Ahright! Glad to hear you have it rigged and sea worthy. Was at Lincoln today and surprised you were not out too. Good fishin' today, 2 at 28 and one half inch bumper at 28 1/2. Carplettes were the top menu item today with fligged chubs coming in second.

Glad to hear about your new ride... you'll like it. Sounds like it is the exact same boat I have but with a 90 hp instead of a 75. You will like the extra horses. Not much to learn about the Tracker, pretty simple to operate. By far the most critical item to locate is the brake, when you have it mastered you are good to go.

I was ready to back off for a couple days for the hot holiday week coming up but decided to give it one more go tomorrow to see if I can find something respectable for a score bump. I'll be there at about 6:30 and plan to stay until the sun drives me off. Nothing better than watching daylight creep over the mountains and ooze down the canyons and out over the valley. I never tire of watching it.

We will connect soon and compare some notes and how tos. Congrats again on the new boat. Use it! Often!

Lynn
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Piscophilic - 08-28-2019

Congratulations Craig! I didn't see it as I drove by your house on my way to workd this morning, but it was dark. Do you have any pictures? Of the boat, not the cookie cutters[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - doitall5000 - 08-28-2019

Looking for a picture. Just as important to learning the boat is learning where the Rock monsters are.
Props are costly.
The fun begins!!
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Kent - 08-28-2019

[quote catchinon]

My wife insists, and she's right, that I have someone along so I'll be safe until I get the hang of it all.

[/quote]

Congratulations Craig and deepest sympathies. If you are smart, you will have someone along even after you "... get the hang of it all". Always better to be seen than to be viewed.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Tin-Can - 08-28-2019

Hey good for ya Craig. Just one of MANY things to remember - Those "fish finders" ...... well they don't FIND fish. You have to do that your-own self. But they are pretty good at helping you to NOT find those UL Rock Monsters. Now you got to learn how to think and watch in at least 3 directions at the same time......forward, backwards, and downwards (one eye on the sonar).
I'm sure those sonars have a "shallow warning" you can set. I keep mine set at 2 feet. But best way to decide what to set yours at: see how far your motor lower end hangs below the bottom of your hull when the motor is straight up vertical, then give yourself at least 2 feet more below the bottom of your skeg. Plug that total in as your shallow warning. For example: Hull to skeg = 20 inches + 24 inches of shallow allowance = set shallow alarm for about 3 feet. A bit more if it makes you more comfortable.
Get in shallow, rock infested water (like out at Bird Island), shut down the main motor, trim it up till its just barely in the water, go to your bow mount. Hopefully one of those sonars are attached to the bow mount.

Post up a photo or 2 so we can all know what boat to look for.
Have fun, be safe. [fishon]
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - 2knots - 08-28-2019

Congratulations, welcome to the whole in the wallet club [Wink], but really thats great, glad to could find something that will work for your trips [cool]
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - dubob - 08-28-2019

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Craig,[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My previous boat was a 2004 Tracker Targa DeepV16 with a Merc 75 Optimax and no kicker. 40 lb MK up front. Call me any time and pick my brain about the boat. Had it for 11 years, so i know a thing or 3 about them. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [Boatloadakids] New boat and Lincoln Beach - catchinon - 08-29-2019

Lynn, I wish I had gotten ahold of you last night, but I ended up teaching today anyway. Ditto tomorrow. Let me know if Friday works or whenever. I still have to do some of that pesky work to keep money coming in to pay for boats, pickup repairs, etc.

I did find the brake but it seems counter-intuitive to have to pull back to apply them. So far I haven't run over a dock or up the ramp, or anything. Feels like I'm a kid and learning to drive again.

It's good to see that you got a bumper. Maybe I can now that I have a boat.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - fish_fanatic - 08-29-2019

Congratulations Craig its about time i know you have thinking about one for a while. I am a little miffed at you though NO pictures, we deserve to see that new ride. I hope to see you out on the water soon and I agree with your wife about a co-pilot untill you get you bearings. You know as well as I that there are many BFTers that you could consider experts that will be willing to help you. I just happen to not be one of those, not that I am not willing to help but I am still myself not very competent , or have you not heard about some of my blunders? I do know that every time out I learn a few things that I will not do again even on my small ride. The one thing that I adhere to is to have a PFD on at all times whether its hot or not , I feel my family deserves that from me. I hope you have many successful fishing trips and do not let Lincoln eat a prop for it has eaten more than a few.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Boatloadakids - 08-29-2019

Craig-- I'm just leaving now (6 am.) for another go at the kittys. Can't fish tomorrow but I can be at Lincoln in 15 minutes. You name the time on Friday and I will be there to check out your ride and offer any help I can... it's free!!

Lynn
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Tin-Can - 08-29-2019

Hey Craig, you have now officially joined the club of what my dad used to say " Don't buy a boat, that's just a hole in the water you throw money into".
But the Tracker you just bought sounds like a good vessel. Treat it right, it will give you many years of good service.
Something others may not have mentioned: All of us boat owners are pretty good about maintaining our boats. But if you can't get the boat to the water, then it's just a big lawn decoration. Pay attention to the trailer too. Good tires, properly inflated (just as important as tires on your truck), wheel bearings in good shape and lubricated with marine quality grease, trailer bunk carpet in good repair (unless you have a roller bunk), bow stand tie strap and ratchet serviceable and lubricated, rear brake, turn, back-up, and driving lights all functioning. A good idea to unplug the trailer lights before you back into the water. Water and electricity don't mix well. Even if the light assemblies are supposedly sealed you may still get some water in the case. Launching in colder water, with lights that are still plugged in and maybe hot, can at the least shatter the bulb, and at the worst cause a short that blows a fuse in your tow vehicle lighting circuit.
If your new rig trailer doesn't have some sort of strap system to secure the back of the boat on the trailer, invest in some Boat Buckles. They can be mounted to the trailer, have a ratcheting tensioner and will prevent the loss of tie down straps.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - doitall5000 - 08-29-2019

Hay Craig the next trip you make to Deer Creak, drop me an invite.
I'll load up my boat and join you . Its time for some walleye.
Just not this weekend.
[signature]

Re: [doitall5000] New boat and Lincoln Beach - catchinon - 08-30-2019

Thanks Verdean (did I spell that right?). Anytime next week after Tuesday would be fine. You're the best. PM me.
[signature]

Re: [Boatloadakids] New boat and Lincoln Beach - catchinon - 08-30-2019

Sorry Lynn, I just saw this. Would 11:00 be good? I'm going out with Mooseman and could be in at that time. I'll try to call you to confirm.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Boatloadakids - 08-30-2019

Check it out... Craig's new ride! Met him and Mooseman at the launch today just to check out his new boat. Nice, really nice. The previous owner was proud of his boat ant took good care of it. The boat has a few more bells and whistles than my Tracker, all good stuff; 65 Minn Kota, two finders (one Hummingbird, the other Lowerance), 90 hp motor, 8 or 16? kicker, great interior, and not a ding to be found in the anywhere. Motor starts easy and sounds good. Craig said it was putting out a lot of smoke while they were on the water and he was afraid something might need repair. It ran smooth and looked very clean. Trailer is sound but could use some additional height on the bunk guides. A good outfit, had 30+ inch cat all about it.

My first add-on would be an I-Pilot, can't get along without mine.

Congrats again Craig. Ya done good.

Lynn

P.S. I don't ever want to hear the stereo in that outfit blasting away on the UL. You could be banned from BFT for disturbing the silence.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - Tin-Can - 08-30-2019

Craig, that's a nice rig.
[signature]

Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - r2u2 - 08-30-2019

Well, ya oughta be proud. Don't want to see you runun circles around me and my wife just cause ya can.

Good on ya brother. Looks pretty shinny.

rj
[signature]