Fishing Forum
Fillet stations - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Fillet stations (/showthread.php?tid=1096000)

Fillet stations - packfish - 08-11-2020

I read quite a few posts over the year about fillet stations being clogged. What do you attribute that to ? I used to think what a bunch of slobs. But I have recently seen 2 separate  people at Hyrum who didn't know there was an on and off button underneath the table for the grinder. They assumed you just tossed the fish in and ran the sprayer. I showed them the button and I showed them the emergency switch on the other side.  They had no idea they were there. Not that it takes a rocket scientist to figure one out but I think a sign with instructions would take away some of the incidents. There will always  be those that don't care but maybe there isn't as many as I have thought.

RE: Fillet stations - Anglinarcher - 08-11-2020

Years and years and years ago the fish cleaning station at Bullfrog on Power had an automatic on when the fish were dropped in.  I suspect it was not considered "safe".  I can see a hand being put into the grinder.

They should put up instructions, but also have the Park Rangers do a more frequent check.

RE: Fillet stations - RockyRaab2 - 08-11-2020

There used to be such a sign at the Willard North station: "Turn on grinder BEFORE putting fish in chute." Clearly, it didn't help because that station was always clogged. Our noble TinCan has taken the chute apart and un-clogged it more than once. The park people don't seem inclined to do that.

RE: Fillet stations - packfish - 08-11-2020

The Hyrum park people are pretty good about that if you let them know. Granted I think they should have someone check a few times a day and Hyrum doesn't get the fish cleaning traffic Willard does. Hyrum has never had an instructional sign and I am sure a large catfish takes more grinding than a perch. I am thankful Hyrum has one , sure makes disposing of 50 perch carcasses a lot easier.

RE: Fillet stations - TubeDude - 08-11-2020

As others have stated, posting directions doesn't seem to make much difference.  Some folks either can't read, won't follow directions or simply don't care.  Even worse are those who deliberately sabotage the cleaning facilities.

There used to be a great fish cleaning station at Lincoln Beach...on Utah Lake. But almost every time I showed up to use it is was inoperable.  Either jammed with fish parts run through before turning on the grinder...or in some cases it was full of bottles and/or rocks.  And the nice facility at Saratoga Springs was rendered inoperable after someone deliberately broke off all the water pipes and spigots.  Some people!

Those things ain't cheap...running into the tens of thousands of dollars.  Not hard to understand why state parks and other operators give up after having to repair or replace the equipment so often.

RE: Fillet stations - packfish - 08-11-2020

Glad Hyrum is a little more protected area then.

RE: Fillet stations - Wando59 - 08-12-2020

I had same thing at deer creek a few weeks 
Back thay didn't even push the fish down the
Hole but the next day there was a gentleman 
And a couple of kids his fish were cleaned 
The area was spotless i thank him and 
Gave the kids some towels to wipe their hands 
I think it's just who appreciate having these 
Nice facilities to use that take care of them 
Properly i don't know if signs would help 
But it can't hurt