Fishing Forum
NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=1097820)

NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 - dubob - 04-10-2021

Read about it here: Boat Decon @ LP

RE: NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 - RockyRaab2 - 04-10-2021

Interesting. I hope it does indeed help clean the boats of the power squadron better than is currently possible. It also may help with cleaning trailers - something that seems to be overlooked now.

If I get to Powell next month, I'll take a look-see and report my thoughts.

RE: NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 - Mildog - 04-10-2021

After having My boat “decontaminated” /cleaned by several different services, I always left wondering actually how effective it really was. On one “decontamination”, halfway through the process I stuck my hand under the water coming out of the sprayer and it was barely Luke warm. I Informed the attendant and he checked and shut down the system and reheated the water and started over. I could have stayed quiet and just let him finish. He was trying to do the right thing, but I had wondered how many others had received the same treatment. After watching I could see there would be spots where water could be or pool up that would not have been “disinfected” even if the water was scalding hot and my boat is a simple open boat. I have always thought the kind of a system mentioned in the link would be much more effective and probably faster in the long run.There are hidden spots in boats and especially trailers where water holding veligers or muscles could be hidden and difficult to hit with the water from sprayers. Backing the boat and trailer into the tank would allow the decontamination water to reach areas of the trailer and work through the motor and pipes snd ballast areas of more elaborate boats and do a much more effective job. I am sure they are expensive but I think this system would do a much better job. It would make sense to use them in high risk areas. I for one am Glad to see the the attention and effort put into it. It would be great if the spread of these harmful invasive species could be controlled so the don’t impact new waters.

RE: NEW Decontamination Process at LP for 2021 - Therapist - 04-10-2021

My personnel opinion is that we are lucky that these little critters have not spread further than they have. We dodge a bullet everytime we launch and recover from an infected water then launch at an uninfected water. I find it interesting that there are still boaters out there that don't give a rats rear end about decontaminating their equipment. I hope that an eventual cure will be found, but until then we all need to be diligent and do everything that we can to prevent the spread !!!