Fishing Forum
Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Causey, E. Canyon, Lost Creek, Echo & Rockport Reports (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Thread: Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee (/showthread.php?tid=1098072)

Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - Trident 13 - 07-27-2020

Hi all, took a year off fishing to deal with some back problems and found it easier to use a new handle than the old one i had a couple of years ago. I do the bulk of my fishing from a kayak with a downrigger on the starboard and long line with a cannonball sinker set up port side.

Anyway tried Porcupine Friday and Saturday and the bite was on. Easy limits both days. Schools were darn near everywhere 45 - 65’ with 50 being the sweet spot. Colors were green and chartreuse. I did try blue at 65’ just out of curiosity and picked up. A couple of 11”ers. 
I don’t remember seeing so many kokes the last time i was there although the size is definitely smaller with mostly 9-11”. Even with the smaller size the fish seemed to be fat, sassy, and healthy.

RE: Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - Jmorfish - 07-27-2020

Just curious -- I'm not a new fisherman, but a new kayak fisherman (wannabe)...I have caught a few kayaking, but the first larger one pulled me around, and you're not paddling forward anymore ... so how do you fish with 2 poles without that second line getting all tangled up, as you're fighting a fish? I don't think I'll ever put a downrigger on mine, but what is a cannonball weight, and how deep can you get with it? tks...

RE: Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - Trident 13 - 07-27-2020

I started with a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 paddle kayak when I sit got started in kayak fishing and fishing with 2 lines out led to heartache more often than not. I now pedal a Hobie Revolution and can fish hands free and keep moving forward while playing a fish.
The cannon ball is just a round lead sinker 1-6 oz that attaches to a sliding swivel about 2 feet above your dodger. A kayak angler named Tyler Hicks with a YouTube channel SpiltMilt productions has an excellent tutorial on fishing Kokanee without downriggers. I was fishing 2 oz 100’ back and getting bit, I would estimate i was 30’ at a speed of 1.2 mph. It is possible to get 50’ plus without a downrigger.

RE: Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - Trident 13 - 07-28-2020

Here is a look at what i use on my non downrigger rod. With the swivel slider I can quickly change weights if needed and the fish has a harder time using the sinker to leverage itself off the hook. It also seems to have fewer line tangles than banana sinkers. I then use a bead chain to a leader of at least 2 feet. Then dodger and lure. When letting your line out go slow.
[Image: 1-BA48-C81-C028-428-A-9-AE5-33067-B2-E932-B.jpg]

[Image: 6-EC27-BC6-4638-4-B87-8426-A2-D78-F8-C5-F9-C.jpg]

24 sided dice online

RE: Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee - SkunkedAgain - 07-29-2020

Great report, thanks.... Man I need to get up there before they turn red and soft... tis the end of season soon for good kokes... Thanks Jeff