Fishing Forum
Lost Creek - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Causey, E. Canyon, Lost Creek, Echo & Rockport Reports (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Thread: Lost Creek (/showthread.php?tid=1098673)

Lost Creek - bblake98 - 07-15-2021

Seeing Jig-Fisher's post about Lost Creek got me motivated. I had only been there once before, and was only able to get two little stocker cutties from shore (November of last year). Now that I have a fishing kayak, I said heck with it, I'll send it, I have yet to be disappointed fishing out of that thing. Ended up improvising to get my lures down deep as I do not have a downrigger/s. As far as kokes go, I only got chubs to smack my dodger and wedding ring... I also caught about 20-25 stocker Cutthroat, all about 8-11 inches long with about 4 a little bit nicer ones ranging from 12-15 inches. Oh, and can't forget to mention a rarely seen monster of the deep... a decent sized splake! As well as a football Cutthroat!

[Image: 20210714-103142.jpg] [Image: 20210714-090155.jpg] [Image: 20210714-125655.jpg] [Image: 20210714-104655.jpg] [Image: 20210714-104715.jpg] [Image: 20210714-105501.jpg] [Image: 20210714-134510.jpg] [Image: 20210714-134517.jpg] [Image: 20210714-134532.jpg]

RE: Lost Creek - Jig-fisher - 07-15-2021

Very nice!  You did really well!  How long were those 2 big ones?  That cutt is a toad!  I caught a lot of those stocker cutts as well when I was up there.  Great pictures.

RE: Lost Creek - wiperhunter2 - 07-15-2021

Nice report and great pics, that big cutt is a nice one, as is that splake, good to see they are starting to show up, looks like their size restriction is finally paying off. What time did you get there?

RE: Lost Creek - bblake98 - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 02:29 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Very nice!  You did really well!  How long were those 2 big ones?  That cutt is a toad!  I caught a lot of those stocker cutts as well when I was up there.  Great pictures.

Unfortunately for me, I left my tape measures, scale, and weigh net in my other tackle bag like a smart person... thanks! Those stockers were annoying! Haha.

(07-15-2021, 02:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report and great pics, that big cutt is a nice one, as is that splake, good to see they are starting to show up, looks like their size restriction is finally paying off. What time did you get there?
Thanks! I arrived at about 5:30, but didn't quite figure out my improvised downrigger set up until about 9:30/10 am which is when I started to catch more and the bigger fish.

How much weight did it take to get down to the depth where you started catching the bigger fish?

RE: Lost Creek - bblake98 - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 05:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How much weight did it take to get down to the depth where you started catching the bigger fish?

PM sent

RE: Lost Creek - stan55 - 07-15-2021

Try a slider rig swivel or banana weights for trolling without downriggers. I use them when I kayak fish as well as out of my boat. Use 2 oz when fishing in the 20s, 3 oz for 30 to 40. Let out about 80 to 100 feet of line. I prefer the sliding swivels as I can easily swap weights if needed.

(07-15-2021, 07:59 PM)stan55 Wrote: Try a slider rig swivel or banana weights for trolling without downriggers. I use them when I kayak fish as well as out of my boat. Use 2 oz when fishing in the 20s, 3 oz for 30 to 40. Let out about 80 to 100 feet of line. I prefer the sliding swivels as I can easily swap weights if needed.

I wasn't sure what a slider rig swivel was so I googled it and found they are the same slider rigs I use for sturgeon fishing. You use to have your banana weighs about 5 ft above your dodger, are you still doing that? If so, are you just using a regular swivel, as a stop for the slider?

RE: Lost Creek - stan55 - 07-16-2021

The rig is still 5 feet above the dodger. I tie on a bead chain swivel to hold the slider. Very important to use the bead chain swivels. I've been using 2 to 3 oz cannon ball sinkers. It's a common rig for salmon fishing. Only difference is they use flashers and 4 to 8 oz cannon ball sinkers. Catfish and sturgeon rigs are similar as well but I would use a different sinker for that. Banana sinkers work well but I like the flexibility of changing weights without having to retie. Also better when the fish first bites as I have my drag set to barely hold the line. When the fish hits it can strip the line out without feeling the weight as much. Another benefit is when a big koke goes on a run it isn't pulling all the weight. If I ever need to run 6 rods I'll use my downriggers but this slider set up is really simple and effective. I can even use it when kayak fishing.

RE: Lost Creek - bblake98 - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 01:06 AM)stan55 Wrote: The rig is still 5 feet above the dodger. I tie on a bead chain swivel to hold the slider. Very important to use the bead chain swivels. I've been using 2 to 3 oz cannon ball sinkers. It's a common rig for salmon fishing. Only difference is they use flashers and 4 to 8 oz cannon ball sinkers. Catfish and sturgeon rigs are similar as well but I would use a different sinker for that. Banana sinkers work well but I like the flexibility of changing weights without having to retie. Also better when the fish first bites as I have my drag set to barely hold the line. When the fish hits it can strip the line out without feeling the weight as much. Another benefit is when a big koke goes on a run it isn't pulling all the weight.  If I ever need to run 6 rods I'll use my downriggers but this slider set up is really simple and effective. I can even use it when kayak fishing.

I will definitely try that out. Thanks for the information

RE: Lost Creek - wiperhunter2 - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 01:06 AM)stan55 Wrote: The rig is still 5 feet above the dodger. I tie on a bead chain swivel to hold the slider. Very important to use the bead chain swivels. I've been using 2 to 3 oz cannon ball sinkers. It's a common rig for salmon fishing. Only difference is they use flashers and 4 to 8 oz cannon ball sinkers. Catfish and sturgeon rigs are similar as well but I would use a different sinker for that. Banana sinkers work well but I like the flexibility of changing weights without having to retie. Also better when the fish first bites as I have my drag set to barely hold the line. When the fish hits it can strip the line out without feeling the weight as much. Another benefit is when a big koke goes on a run it isn't pulling all the weight.  If I ever need to run 6 rods I'll use my downriggers but this slider set up is really simple and effective. I can even use it when kayak fishing.
What is the advantage of the bead chain swivel over a regular swivel?

RE: Lost Creek - FatBiker - 07-16-2021

After reading your report, I ran up to Lost Creek this morning. Caught a bunch of planters and then moved up into the shallow end to catch chubs for catfish bait. Two hours and 40 6 to 8 inch chubs later, I was on my way home with enough bait for the rest of the summer.

RE: Lost Creek - bblake98 - 07-17-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:24 PM)FatBiker Wrote: After reading your report, I ran up to Lost Creek this morning.  Caught a bunch of planters and then moved up into the shallow end to catch chubs for catfish bait.  Two hours and 40 6 to 8 inch chubs later, I was on my way home with enough bait for the rest of the summer.

That's good to hear! I might have to do that.