Fishing Forum
Hyrum - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Hyrum (/showthread.php?tid=1098862)

Pages: 1 2

Hyrum - packfish - 08-12-2021

Fishing from a pontoon boat now- the ramp is closed.

RE: Hyrum - wiperhunter2 - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 05:00 PM)packfish Wrote: Fishing from a pontoon boat now- the ramp is closed.

Is the ramp out of the water? They closed Willard too but you can still launch at your own risk.

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-12-2021

Wow that's got to be really low I don't remember ever seeing it so low they closed the ramp... I thought there wasn't a drop off, so you could just launch on the sand off the end of the ramp... Maybe it's eroded away from the last time I remember... So you're saying no more power squadron? Maybe I'll have to go fishing now... Perch in a toon could be a lot of fun, especially since they were getting a little better sized in there now days... Thanks for the intel... Will they let you back down the ramp to launch your toons? This is starting to sound like a lot of fun... If the bows are getting back to larger fish (last winter they were 9-12"ers, hopefully they are better sized by now), this could be a fun fall spot after the water cools a little...

RE: Hyrum - packfish - 08-13-2021

Looks like you can launch at your own risk on the east side of the ramp. I did not go down and look but I will tomorrow.

RE: Hyrum - packfish - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 02:01 AM)packfish Wrote: Looks like you can launch at your own risk on the east side of the ramp. I did not go down and look but I will tomorrow.

There are still wake boats going in on the east side of the ramp. There were 3 on the water and one coming off and 10 this morning.
You can still put in. I dont know how much longer though.

RE: Hyrum - smokepoles - 08-15-2021

(08-13-2021, 06:09 PM)packfish Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 02:01 AM)packfish Wrote: Looks like you can launch at your own risk on the east side of the ramp. I did not go down and look but I will tomorrow.

There are still wake boats going in on the east side of the ramp. There were 3 on the water and one coming off and 10 this morning.
You can still put in. I dont know how much longer though.

Yup, Hyrum is at dead pool as irrigation outflows stopped sometime last week while I was on vacation. Tea cup diagrams show at 20% capacity.  Saw a wake board boat loading last night as drove over dam, and there sure was a steep angle vehicle to boat, so drop of must be at least more than ramp angle. 

We were on jackson lake during vacation and that is less than 50% while outflows are still typical or greater to get water downstream to ag users (so floating Snake was pretty good).  It is anticipated to go to 10% or even possibly 5% capacity by end of irrigation season. 

Nobody or nofish is going to go untouched by the drought me thinks.

RE: Hyrum - Panchodog - 08-16-2021

I think they are treating moss in the canals and will turn the water back on this week........

RE: Hyrum - smokepoles - 08-16-2021

(08-16-2021, 07:02 PM)Panchodog Wrote: I think they are treating moss in the canals and will turn the water back on this week........

Not unless they pump from below dead pool - never seen them do that.............

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-17-2021

We use the water in the ditch when we treat our canal for moss, so I expect they are done for the year... Wow that is a lot of water used this year, Hyrum was full this spring... Hey thanks for the info and updates, I'm not ready to face wake boat waves in my toon, so I'll wait till their back to school or too chilled before I try it ... It really does sound like a fun place to play this fall with the fish condensed into a smaller area... I've been saving my leave so hopefully I can chase them a couple days this fall...I know my farming is really slowed down with only 50% of our usual water available to us... I'm digging up my hay on 2/3ths of the farm probably get further reductions this week.. So not much growing this time of year... Thanks for all the info on this... Later Jeff

RE: Hyrum - packfish - 08-18-2021

Slow - very slow trolled and drifted bottom bouncers with and eagle claw snelled spinner hook and worm. Caught some nice largemouth and big gills in the first 1 1/2 hours. Then a big perch and anchored over them. All perch except a 3" were over 10 ". Caught 18 before the winds whipped the lake up to white caps and was off the lake by noon.

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-18-2021

Great report on that trip... Sounds like a lot of fun... Congrats... J

RE: Hyrum - Wells - 08-18-2021

Nice report thank you for sharing. Those are nice perch for Hyrum!

RE: Hyrum - packfish - 08-19-2021

I hope I am wrong on this but perch fishing will be poor on Hyrum for ice fishing this year. I have fished the lake the last 10 years probably on avg 2 to 3 times a week and before that frequently since the early 70's. I would say this year is the worst in the last 10 or more years for perch and trout that I have seen. Last year I could fish the flats on the east end of the lake and in an hour or so pick up 25 good sized perch on every outing. Also catch quite a few dinks. This year except for the spring catching 15 good perch was a supreme effort and maybe a couple of dinks. There are still good perch in there but nothing like it was . It will come back but right now its pretty tough to consistently catch a dinner for a few.

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-19-2021

What worries me is it took so long from the 6" perch to get up to where last year was with nice 9-11" perch being possible on most trips... Now this low water is going to hit the reset button and it will take 5 years to get decent fishing in the lake again... State may have to go back to planting more bows to keep folks happy while they wait for the perch to return to decent numbers.. Hyrum grows great bows when they stock enough anyway... Problem that we are going to have is everywhere will be bad fishing again and its going to get tough to catch fish... And that is assuming we get water to fill the lakes back up... Maybe we'll be stuck in this drought for years... I sure hope not, but it could happen... Later J

RE: Hyrum - RockyRaab2 - 08-19-2021

Not the best year to buy a boat was it? At least I got a few good trips in...

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-20-2021

There’s always Bear Lake. Sorry the timing isn’t the best. But I’ll bet it’s nice when you get out. Later Jeff

So talking to a guy at Newton last night and he told me that they did put a solid ramp closure on Hyrum as of today they weren't going to allow boats to launch around the closed ramp cones any longer. Not sure how reliable of info that was, but if you are going to try Hyrum in a boat, you may want to call the state park office there and find out before you pull the boat up and can't launch it... When they open I'll try and give them a call and I'll pass on the info later... J

RE: Hyrum - RockyRaab2 - 08-20-2021

The Parks site has this webpage about launch ramp Conditions. It was last updated Aug 12, though...

https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/boating/boat-ramp-conditions/

I called the office, they said they will still allow launching at your own risk, but they are discouraging bigger boats, they said they are getting really close to the redline, which I guess is where they shut everything down... So they said smaller boats should still be okay to launch for this weekend... I'm going to try it tomorrow so I'll report back... Later J

RE: Hyrum - SkunkedAgain - 08-21-2021

It’s a steep ramp at the end, but we got along fine. Had a fun morning, got 20 keeper perch and probably 10-15 others between gills and little perch. Hyrum is in a lot better shape than Newton. I think it will be fine. Got a 12” perch today so that was one of my better perch out of Hyrum. Fun to fish again. Thanks Greg and Landon. Later J

[Image: E0300215-A5-E6-4-D8-A-8001-03-CA5-A6-FF614.jpg]