Fishing Forum
The pig - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Causey, E. Canyon, Lost Creek, Echo & Rockport Reports (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Thread: The pig (/showthread.php?tid=1099066)

The pig - fearfish - 09-16-2021

Has any one gone up to the pig with the low water im curious if its good fishing or not im pretty sure im going up this saterday moring to give it a shot i was wondering if taking the boat would be a wast of time i seen some pics of it lower then i have ever seen it before

RE: The pig - wiperhunter2 - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 03:02 AM)fearfish Wrote: Has any one gone up to the pig with the low water im curious if its good fishing or not im pretty sure im going up this saterday moring to give it a shot i was wondering if taking the boat would be a wast of time i seen some pics of it lower then i have ever seen it before

I haven't been up there this Summer but I have fished it many times when it is low. How big is the boat you want to use up there?

RE: The pig - SkunkedAgain - 09-16-2021

I haven't been up there recently either, but I have tried launching at low water levels in past years and it gets really dicey for my 16 footer... I'd be really careful and hope my boat was a tincan then I might have a chance to launch okay... Seems like the launching areas get really steep as the water level drops further... I lucked out and had some folks help hold my boat on the trailer as I pulled it out otherwise I don't think I could have kept my boat on the trailer as I tried to get it out of the water... back end of the trailer was too deep to have anything touching the boat to keep things lined up... and make sure you have a 4 WD or you probably won't make it... If you have a tube, yak or toon they may be your best options at this point... But I haven't seen it so I'm just guessing off past years... Later J

Oh yeah, if it's that low and you have to carry stuff down to the water level, be ready for a hike... I guess there isn't snow now so it may not be quite so bad, but it is a work out in the winter when the water is low... Later J

RE: The pig - 10_ft_Jon_boat - 09-16-2021

[Image: Porcupine.jpg]
I was at porcupine about a week ago (Sept. 8).  The water level isn't as low as I thought it would be but it looks to be down 70 or 80 feet from the high mark.  When full the water depth near the dam is about 140 feet so there is still a lot of deep water there.  Quite a few people were looking at the spawning kokanee in the stream that flows into the reservoir and several small to medium sized (maybe 14 ft. max/outboard) boats were on the water that had launched just east of the springs on the upper north side.  There was also someone in a float tube and a couple of kayakers.  A few shore fisherman were fishing in the bays on the north side but I was too far away to see if they were catching anything.

RE: The pig - wiperhunter2 - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 05:27 PM)10_ft_Jon_boat Wrote: I was at porcupine about a week ago (Sept. 8).  The water level isn't as low as I thought it would be but it looks to be down 70 or 80 feet from the high mark.  When full the water depth near the dam is about 140 feet so there is still a lot of deep water there.  Quite a few people were looking at the spawning kokanee in the stream that flows into the reservoir and several small to medium sized (maybe 14 ft. max/outboard) boats were on the water that had launched just east of the springs on the upper north side.  There was also someone in a float tube and a couple of kayakers.  A few shore fisherman were fishing in the bays on the north side but I was too far away to see if they were catching anything.

Thanks for the pic and the report on conditions, did you do any fishing there, if so, did you have any luck? From your pic it looks lower than a normal year.

Fearfish-
Here are a few pics about where I launch my 16 ft boat when the conditions are low. It might be lower this year but there is a road that turns to the right, were the spring is going under the road in the back. You for sure want to be in a 4x4 when doing down or up on this road. One of these pics shows the spring from a view on the water, the other two pics show where we launch. We have never had a problem launching here, good solid rocky area, not muddy, at least in normal years.

[Image: 3rd-launch-drive-down-pig.jpg]

[Image: 3rd-launch-pig.jpg]

[Image: pig-3rd-launch.jpg]

RE: The pig - 10_ft_Jon_boat - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 07:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 05:27 PM)10_ft_Jon_boat Wrote: I was at porcupine about a week ago (Sept. 8).  The water level isn't as low as I thought it would be but it looks to be down 70 or 80 feet from the high mark.  When full the water depth near the dam is about 140 feet so there is still a lot of deep water there.  Quite a few people were looking at the spawning kokanee in the stream that flows into the reservoir and several small to medium sized (maybe 14 ft. max/outboard) boats were on the water that had launched just east of the springs on the upper north side.  There was also someone in a float tube and a couple of kayakers.  A few shore fisherman were fishing in the bays on the north side but I was too far away to see if they were catching anything.

Thanks for the pic and the report on conditions, did you do any fishing there, if so, did you have any luck? From your pic it looks lower than a normal year.

Fearfish-
Here are a few pics about where I launch my 16 ft boat when the conditions are low. It might be lower this year but there is a road that turns to the right, were the spring is going under the road in the back. You for sure want to be in a 4x4 when doing down or up on this road. One of these pics shows the spring from a view on the water, the other two pics show where we launch. We have never had a problem launching here, good solid rocky area, not muddy, at least in normal years.

[Image: 3rd-launch-drive-down-pig.jpg]

[Image: 3rd-launch-pig.jpg]

[Image: pig-3rd-launch.jpg]
I didn't do any fishing but just wanted to see the water level and conditions in order to plan for a fishing trip in the near future.  I should have taken a picture of the east end.  Near the spring area there is a large square rock, maybe 10 X 10 X 10 feet, that is now exposed and almost out of the water.  That should be a good indicator of drawdown for those familiar with that upper area of the reservoir.

RE: The pig - fearfish - 09-17-2021

(09-16-2021, 03:09 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 03:02 AM)fearfish Wrote: Has any one gone up to the pig with the low water im curious if its good fishing or not im pretty sure im going up this saterday moring to give it a shot i was wondering if taking the boat would be a wast of time i seen some pics of it lower then i have ever seen it before

I haven't been up there this Summer but I have fished it many times when it is low. How big is the boat you want to use up there?

It a full welded 16 foot  Aluminum boat ill have to back a trailer to the water to get it off

RE: The pig - wiperhunter2 - 09-17-2021

(09-17-2021, 02:22 PM)fearfish Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 03:09 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It a full welded 16 foot  Aluminum boat ill have to back a trailer to the water to get it off
You should not have a problem then, if you go to the place I showed in the back by the spring. As I said, you will need a 4x4 because the road going down is pretty rough but once you are down it is pretty flat, just make sure you go over the little hill to launch, you will be able to see where others have launched. The area by the spring is too muddy but right on the other side it is much better but again, that is in a normal year, so without seeing it I can only guess what it would look like.

RE: The pig - SkunkedAgain - 09-17-2021

The spot I mentioned is east of where Curt suggested, so I would try the spot he mentioned, the road goes down just before you cross the crick from the spring, if you go past the crick, that will be the spot I mentioned and I don't think you want to try that area when it's this low... I also have not tried the first launch closer to the dam when the water is this low. I think it gets muddy when the water gets below a certain level and that spot is pretty steep to pull a boat out of even in good conditions... It will really test your 4 WD... If you don't mind report back what you find, don't think I'll make it up there, but just in case... Later J