Fishing Forum
Starvation hard deck report - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Starvation hard deck report (/showthread.php?tid=1100058)

Pages: 1 2

Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-19-2022

Three of us braved the brutal conditions at Starvation today.  28 degrees and no wind.  It was challenging, believe me!  We endured the harsh conditions and had a very enjoyable day from roughly 0900 to 1500 (military time) for all you nimrods.

We fished at Knight Hollow which is currently the only easily accessible place with safe ice conditions.  Be very careful elsewhere on the reservoir since conditions are not safe.  The ice at Knight Hollow was about 7 to 8 inches thick and good and solid.  There is no snow cover so the ice is VERY slick and it gets worse with the heating of the day.  Please invest in a good pair of cleats so you don't become a victim of a nasty fall.  The edges did soften a little by late afternoon but we didn't have any problems coming off the ice.

We fished in water between about 16 and 18 feet deep about 300 yards from where we accessed the ice.  It was fairly slow in the morning but we did pick up some nice rainbows in the 13 to 17 inch range.  Fishing picked up in the early afternoon and more feisty rainbows hit the deck.  Five or six were invited to dinner.  One of our intrepid party landed a colorful male rainbow that measured 20 inches on the tape.  It was released because the male rainbows are not real great table fare due to their white flesh, the females are much better eating quality.

I'd say the three of us landed about 22 rainbows.  I contributed two (2) to that total.  I was pacing myself so I didn't go over the 4 fish limit and I was holding out for another walleye.  No walleye were harmed in the making of this report.  We used small jigs tipped with either a meal worm or piece of crawler.  I was using a piece of crawler, so you can be the judge of what worked best for bait today.

It was another great day with good friends in fresh clean air and none of the air quality issues of the Wasatch Front.

Mike

RE: Starvation hard deck report - doitall5000 - 01-19-2022

I've learned that people who love to fish starvation are tough people. We fish under harsh conditions (in the winter) and don't really catch any big catches. Yet we love it.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-19-2022

(01-19-2022, 02:54 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I've learned that people who love to fish starvation are tough people.  We fish under harsh conditions (in the winter) and don't really catch any big catches. Yet we love it.

The phrase "Glutens for punishment" comes to mind, doesn't it?  Throw me into that briar patch.

Mike

RE: Starvation hard deck report - doitall5000 - 01-19-2022

(01-19-2022, 03:02 AM)TopH2O Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 02:54 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I've learned that people who love to fish starvation are tough people.  We fish under harsh conditions (in the winter) and don't really catch any big catches. Yet we love it.

The phrase "Glutens for punishment" comes to mind, doesn't it?  Throw me into that briar patch.

Mike

I think you had a great day, with no wind!! At starvation and no wind!
Thanks for your report.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - Springbuck1 - 01-19-2022

"28 degrees and no wind" You poor, poor, fellas!

"Glutens for punishment" So, celiac disease? I know what a "glutton" is.........

"male rainbows are not real great table fare due to their white flesh" Now THIS I have never heard or experienced. Can someone confirm? How did I miss such a fact for my whole fishing career? Or, is that the rule only in Starvation?

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-19-2022

(01-19-2022, 09:11 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "28 degrees and no wind"  You poor, poor, fellas!

"Glutens for punishment"  So, celiac disease?  I know what a "glutton" is.........

"male rainbows are not real great table fare due to their white flesh"  Now THIS I have never heard or experienced.  Can someone confirm?  How did I miss such a fact for my whole fishing career?  Or, is that the rule only in Starvation?

My experience with the strain of rainbow stocked in Starvation is that during the winter the males take on an appearance significantly different from the females.  They apparently believe they are nearing "spawning" time and they get very dark in color as compared to the females which retain their silver coloration.  When you fillet one of the dark colored males you will find the flesh is white and has a different consistency of the red flesh of a typical female rainbow.  They are several strains of rainbow trout in Utah.  This situation I've observed at Starvation may not be the case for other waters in the state.

Mike

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TubeDude - 01-19-2022

(01-19-2022, 09:11 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "28 degrees and no wind"  You poor, poor, fellas!

"Glutens for punishment"  So, celiac disease?  I know what a "glutton" is.........

"male rainbows are not real great table fare due to their white flesh"  Now THIS I have never heard or experienced.  Can someone confirm?  How did I miss such a fact for my whole fishing career?  Or, is that the rule only in Starvation?
All members of the salmonid family tend to experience deterioration in flesh consistency, color and table quality when in spawn mode.  That's because their body sucks needed nutrients out of healthy tissues to produce the eggs and milt.  Even though the rainbows planted in Starvation (and other Utah lakes) are sterile triploids, many members of both sexes still develop eggs and milt and will go through the spawning process...although the eggs will be sterile. 

The decline in edibility happens in both male and female rainbows that go into spawn mode.  But for some reason the males color up a lot more and suffer seemingly greater flesh degradation.  However, I have kept a few egg laden females that had no spawning colors or otherwise appeared to be pregnant...and some of them had declined a lot in color and quality of flesh too.  In short, the colored up males are simply more visibly approaching (false) spawn than the females...which often have no color change at all. 

Ain't that a kick in the glutens...err gluteus?

RE: Starvation hard deck report - catchinon - 01-19-2022

Now, now, let's not give anyone a hard time about spelling a word wrong. Heck, we've all done it, sometimes to great embarrassment. I often see spelling and other mistakes in posts on here. My policy is to Smile or giggle to myself and keep it to myself.
Here are some of my favorite miscues I've seen along the way:

A high school girl wrote her research paper on solemn skiing.
A bakery had a big ad on their front window touting their creampuffs that were filled with delicious, creamy mustard.
One of my favorites as a former football coach: Johnny Jones pissed for over 400 yards in the game. Field conditions were a significant factor in the outcome of the game.
One girl reported to me that Mark Twain was a pilot on the Mississippi and after he had flown for a couple of years...
One help wanted ad read that they were hiring all shits. Now what happened to that missing f?

Don't worry about it Verdean Mike. We love ya just the same.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TubeDude - 01-19-2022

(01-19-2022, 10:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Now, now, let's not give anyone a hard time about spelling a word wrong. Heck, we've all done it, sometimes to great embarrassment. I often see spelling and other mistakes in posts on here. My policy is to Smile or giggle to myself and keep it to myself.

A bakery had a big ad on their front window touting their creampuffs that were filled with delicious, creamy mustard.
One of my favorites as a former football coach: Johnny Jones pissed for over 400 yards in the game. Field conditions were a significant factor in the outcome of the game.
One girl reported to me that Mark Twain was a pilot on the Mississippi and after he had flown for a couple of years...
One help wanted ad read that they were hiring all shits. Now what happened to that missing f?

Don't worry about it Verdean. We love ya just the same.
Verdean din't start it.  Toppy did.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-20-2022

(01-19-2022, 11:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 10:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Now, now, let's not give anyone a hard time about spelling a word wrong. Heck, we've all done it, sometimes to great embarrassment. I often see spelling and other mistakes in posts on here. My policy is to Smile or giggle to myself and keep it to myself.

Yea, it was my bad.  It's that darn diet thing.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - hookngrinin - 01-20-2022

(01-19-2022, 02:03 AM)TopH2O Wrote: Three of us braved the brutal conditions at Starvation today.  28 degrees and no wind.  It was challenging, believe me!  We endured the harsh conditions and had a very enjoyable day from roughly 0900 to 1500 (military time) for all you nimrods.

It was another great day with good friends in fresh clean air and none of the air quality issues of the Wasatch Front.

Mike
Yes, It was a great day fishing with you, Mike. Thanks for the invite and letting me set up next to you. I'll leave the secret mealworm dispenser at home next trip.   Smile

RE: Starvation hard deck report - catchinon - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 02:23 AM)TopH2O Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 11:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Yea, it was my bad.  It's that darn diet thing.

I knew that. I swear that I changed that to Mike. The names have been changed to protect...   Thanks, Craig

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TubeDude - 01-20-2022

Hey Mike, good to see that you are still punchin' holes in Starvy.  I fondly remember some of our more stellar days.  Maybe you coulda used some of my "stank bait" on your trip.

[Image: STARVY-STEELIE.jpg]

[Image: MIKE-S-MAGNUM.jpg]

[Image: TD-PERCH-2.jpg]

[Image: FILLETING-TIME.jpg]

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 01:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Hey Mike, good to see that you are still punchin' holes in Starvy.  I fondly remember some of our more stellar days.  Maybe you coulda used some of my "stank bait" on your trip.

[Image: STARVY-STEELIE.jpg]

[Image: MIKE-S-MAGNUM.jpg]

[Image: TD-PERCH-2.jpg]

[Image: FILLETING-TIME.jpg]
Yes indeed Pat, not Patrick.  I like fishing Starvation because it's not that far for us hicks from the sticks in Price.  It's been good this winter so far for some real nice rainbows but unfortunately the perch are in a rebuilding process.  There is an over abundance of smaller walleye that aren't difficult to catch in soft water but we've only landed a FEW during the ice season so far.  I'll keep trying.
[Image: IMG-0603.jpg]

RE: Starvation hard deck report - Springbuck1 - 01-20-2022

AHHH, ok tat makes sense if they are "spawned out" trying to be.  Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Don't worry about it Verdean Mike. We love ya just the same.

I certainly do love Mike just the same, even never having met him.  It was meant as a gentle "Wink, Wink, nude, nudge", not an actual hard time.  

As I've always said, "Pobody's nerfect".

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TubeDude - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 06:08 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I certainly do love Mike just the same, even never having met him.  It was meant as a gentle "Wink, Wink, nude, nudge", not an actual hard time.  

I've known (and fished with) Mike for quite a few years.  I doubt he was greatly offended by your comments.  Probably chortled and guffawed a bit even.  Believe me, he gots thick skin and can give as good as he gets.  Ya don't wanna get into a battle of wits with him...especially if you are unarmed. 

Mike retired after a goodly number of years with DWR.  There ain't many members of the BFT family that are more knowledgeable about Utah's fish and fisheries.  Even better, he is a sharing kind of guy and is always willing to download info or help others improve their game or get more enjoys out of fishing. 

I wouldn't say that I "love" Mike.  He ain't my type.  But I sure enjoy his company and have a great deal of respect for him...and his whole family.  They are all great sports folks...including all brothers and sisters.

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-21-2022

(01-20-2022, 07:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 06:08 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I certainly do love Mike just the same, even never having met him.  It was meant as a gentle "Wink, Wink, nude, nudge", not an actual hard time.  

I've known (and fished with) Mike for quite a few years.  I doubt he was greatly offended by your comments.  Probably chortled and guffawed a bit even.  Believe me, he gots thick skin and can give as good as he gets.  Ya don't wanna get into a battle of wits with him...especially if you are unarmed. 

Mike retired after a goodly number of years with DWR.  There ain't many members of the BFT family that are more knowledgeable about Utah's fish and fisheries.  Even better, he is a sharing kind of guy and is always willing to download info or help others improve their game or get more enjoys out of fishing. 

I wouldn't say that I "love" Mike.  He ain't my type.  But I sure enjoy his company and have a great deal of respect for him...and his whole family.  They are all great sports folks...including all brothers and sisters.

I'm flattered by the kind words Pat.  All of us in the BFT community know that you are one the most knowledgeable and informative fishermen out there.  We have all benefitted from your wealth of knowledge and real world experiences.  Keep on keeping on and we'll share some more water time ahead.

Mike

RE: Starvation hard deck report - dubob - 01-21-2022

(01-20-2022, 04:07 PM)TopH2O Wrote: I like fishing Starvation because it's not that far for us hicks from the sticks in Price.
I'll kindly thank you to leave my family name out of this discussion.  Big Grin

RE: Starvation hard deck report - TopH2O - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 03:21 AM)dubob Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 04:07 PM)TopH2O Wrote: I like fishing Starvation because it's not that far for us hicks from the sticks in Price.
I'll kindly thank you to leave my family name out of this discussion.  Big Grin

OK Bob, you got me there.  I am not currently nor have I ever been related to Bob Hicks, almost world famous DU guy!

RE: Starvation hard deck report - dubob - 01-21-2022

Here's a flashback for you Mike - Feb 1, 2013.

You!
[Image: ZkJyWAP.jpg]

Me!
[Image: Oa5RKM2.jpg]

Joe!
[Image: aTGn8Ia.jpg]

Gary!
[Image: 5eyU4T3.jpg]

Curtis!
[Image: PbfCm01.jpg]

Big Earl!
[Image: iFgGHjM.jpg]