Fishing Forum
Boat transom project - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Boat transom project (/showthread.php?tid=1100486)

Boat transom project - Fritzfishin - 03-18-2022

Some may remember my post from a few months ago about my transom in my boat I thought it was rotted out... finally this weather and pictures of catfish and walleye from this time last year lit the fire under me... 
I cut the aluminum top cap off the transom and was shocked to see what was in there,  I pulled out about 2 five gallon bucket of rotten moldy sawdust,  after getting it all out and cleaning it with some 409 I finally today cut my new transom out of 3/4" oak plywood, I predrilled all my holes and screw holes ill need and just got the first coat of waterproofing stain on it, I know it won't last forever but it'll last long enough. Tomorrow ill get another coat on then glue and screw it all together. Its a VERY tight fit I almost couldn't get it out after predrilling the holes, lake point custom fabrication in erda is going to weld it all back together once im finished. 
[Image: 129533.jpg]

[Image: 129534.jpg]

[Image: 130266.jpg]

Seemed like this outta do decent for what I need
[Image: 20220318-175307.jpg]

This is what's been holding the motor on
[Image: 20220318-175515.jpg]

RE: Boat transom project - MSM1970 - 03-19-2022

Good thing you done it now, looks like it was about ready to fall off, you will have goo piece of mind now anyway,

RE: Boat transom project - MrShane - 03-19-2022

You did it the right way and it looks like you did a fantastic job!

RE: Boat transom project - BearLakeFishGuy - 03-19-2022

Since you did not use marine-grade plywood (where there are no voids between the laminations), you really need to seal those edges. I would use a filler and make sure there are NO voids where water could enter the edges. I did my transom like this about 15 years ago and its still going strong on my old boat that I sold to a friend. I did my research and the marine plywood was difficult to find and I had to have it ordered in, but it was worth every penny. I then laminated two, 3/4" sheets together with the 5200 marine sealant. I used stainless screws/bolts to reattach the aluminum "skin" and did not have to have anything welded. The real trick was to seal the ends completely to exclude any water/moisture. You're doing a good job. Did I mention, make sure to seal those edges!

RE: Boat transom project - Fritzfishin - 03-19-2022

I have some new silicone type product I was gonna coat all the edges with once it's screwed and glued together. Would it be fine just jb welding the top cap on or should I spend the money and have it aluminum welded back on? I've hit the edges and all the wood 3 times with the waterproofing stuff I figure ill just keep doing it till I run out

RE: Boat transom project - Fritzfishin - 03-19-2022

Several coats of waterproof plus extra on the edges, about 30 stainless screws, liquid nails evenly spread solidly through the 2 sheets, then I smeared liquid nails all the way around the edges just thinking it might help. If it lasts 5+ years I'll be happy, I'll silicone over the screw heads after I decide if any need to come out to get my bolts through it to secure it back to the boat using the existing holes.
[Image: 20220319-152714.jpg]

[Image: 20220319-152711.jpg]

RE: Boat transom project - Therapist - 03-21-2022

HEY DUDE!! Don't seal it yet!!  Go to Home Despot and get some epoxy resin!  It is a two part resin and coat the plywood with that, both sides, both ends, and both edges.  It take 24 hours to cure and you should put 2 coats on.  I had to make a platform for my rig and I used that before I carpeted it.  It will seal the wood and give you a lot less trouble.  Can you laminate your plywood with two sheets??  If so,  I would suggest that.  You transom may be to narrow to do that.  But use the resin on it, seals the wood and gives it some extra strength !!!  Good Luck!!