Fishing Forum
Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Idaho Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=353)
+--- Forum: Idaho Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) (/showthread.php?tid=1100628)

Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - duksnfish - 03-29-2022

So with my knee and lung issues, doing much of anything is a struggle including going out and even fishing. So, I decided, my old Reinel boat needed some floor work even though it still holds up just fine, it was developing a couple soft spots and a couple of small holes in it. I knew that if I didnt do something, I wouldnt have a boat at all and it works just fine for me and my brother in law to use on Ririe and a few other Preston area waters. The motor is great even though its a 1972 Johnson, its been well taken care of and has all the power I want and more. I didnt pay much for the set up so it doesnt owe me anything.

But, come this spring I decided that I had to do a little work, not some major floor tear out and then wish the hell I hadnt started the project and I was totally done doing any fishing. I did a lot of reading on floor repairs and learned that most people who started on a simple floor repair who thought that it would only take couple weeks, ended up a couple, many, months later with a boat still sitting there with the floor stripped out and being dry docked for life.

So I thought ok, Ill just get some Flex seal, Gorilla tape and some good waterproof paint and seal the cracks, holes and repaint the floor with non-slip paint.  Then I started looking at it and I had a little more work than that. So, I decided to peal off the vinyl flooring off the back half of the boat and see what I really had. Yep, I had a little more than I thought. The cracks in the fiberglass flooring over the wood were bigger in a couple places and a few more holes, not huge, than I thought. 

(Pictures are attached of where I'm at to date)

So, I proceeded to wash down the fiberglass with a stiff wire brush, soap and water and get it in good condition to put some patch work down.  I remind you that its more of a job to try and kneel on a knee that has 2 failed knee replacements and a 3rd that resulted in nerve and tissue damage and all the while, I'm packing around a oxygen backpack so I can breath due to my pulmonary fibrosis. You should try it some time. lol

Well, I got it all prepared and took some Flex Seal putty I guess its called that, and slopped it into the more major holes and extended beyond the holes for strength. I took the other long crack and put Gorilla waterproof tape over the cracks and then I've sealed that with Flex seal spray. (Thats the white on the floor). 

Now that I have this all done, I'm taking 3/8" wood panel, solid expensive and cutting the wood under the back seats to fit around the gas tank. I have one side cut to fit and have now painted both sides of the wood with what they call [font=helvetica-neue-light, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]BEHR PREMIUM ADVANCED DECKOVER Exterior Wood Coatings. It's not cheap by any sense of the word but I like it because it has rough like sand material mixed in the paint to provide a non-slip surface. So far I really like it as it applies thick as you want and I think once it dries/cures up nice, its going to work great.[/font]

So, I now have the one piece in the shop drying and when both sides are done and cured, I will glue it in place with waterproof Gorilla super construction adhesive. I will then screw it down to hold even tighter and help keep water from seeping under the wood. But, this is why I have covered all the cracks and holes with Flex seal to keep any water from seeping into the underlayment of the boat floor. All that was protecting it before was the fiberglass wood covering and the vinyl floor cover. 

On all edges, joints etc, I will again seal all joints with Flex Seal putty and Gorilla tape then sealed again with Flex Seal spray. I just figured that this 3/8" plywood sealed on all edges would add all the support I needed and keep the floor from rotting any further. This way also, I dont need to strip everything down to the bare wood supports under the floor and it should last me for the rest of the time I need or can use the boat.

So far its been an adventure and I've learned a lot about Flex Seal and Gorilla products as far as sealing the floors, how they work best to be put down and curing time. It definitely takes a bit longer to cure and harden than the directions say.

So, I just thought I'd throw this out here for a giggle or two on something that I thought I'd take up for something to do that was a challenge to me. I can only work on it for a couple hours max per day do to my health issues but, all I have is time Smile lol.

Any suggestions on what you think might help me along the way, shoot away. I might or might not take them, lol, but i can always take the comments, lol.

Here are some pictures of where I'm at so far. Ill keep posting as I progress along the way. Wish me good luck on finishing before this years fishing season is over Sad .

[Image: 20220326-130859.jpg]

[Image: 20220326-130905.jpg]

[Image: 20220326-131002.jpg]

[Image: 20220327-130146.jpg]

[Image: 20220327-130154.jpg]

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - meancuznalfy - 03-29-2022

Dam, looks good, should be as strong as new when your done.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - wiperhunter2 - 03-29-2022

That is a major project and a lot of hard work, even without having problems. I replaced the floor on my 74 Starcraft about ten year ago, before I sold it and it turned into a big project. I stripped out all the seats and concoles. I was happy with it when I was done but it was a lot of work, so I understand what you are going through.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - duksnfish - 03-30-2022

Thanks guys, I thought about taking the seats etc out and just putting full sheets of wood down, may have been the smarter thing to do but sometimes Im not real smart, but, with my health, I couldnt get down long enough to get seats and more out so thats why I decided to cut pieces to fit places that are a bit tight and then use Flex seal around edges to fill in gaps n cracks then use the Flex seal spray over any other lines to waterproof it. I started painting the wood yesterday in my shop so when I get it done, all I have to do is cut to dimensions and then paint the edges so they dont soak up any water/fluids. This paint is really starting to impress me for the consistency and sand like material in it to keep the non-slip surface. So ya, I knew it would be big but, all I have time right now is time and if I didnt do something now, the floor would be gone and then it would be a lot more challenge to do anything with. Thanks again folks for the comments Smile

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - wiperhunter2 - 03-31-2022

(03-30-2022, 12:19 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Thanks guys, I thought about taking the seats etc out and just putting full sheets of wood down, may have been the smarter thing to do but sometimes Im not real smart, but, with my health, I couldnt get down long enough to get seats and more out so thats why I decided to cut pieces to fit places that are a bit tight and then use Flex seal around edges to fill in gaps n cracks then use the Flex seal spray over any other lines to waterproof it. I started painting the wood yesterday in my shop so when I get it done, all I have to do is cut to dimensions and then paint the edges so they dont soak up any water/fluids.  This paint is really starting to impress me for the consistency and sand like material in it to keep the non-slip surface. So ya, I knew it would be big but, all I have time right now is time and if I didnt do something now, the floor would be gone and then it would be a lot more challenge to do anything with. Thanks again folks for the comments Smile

If I were in the situation you are now, there is no way I would have taken on the job of replacing the floor on my old boat, so what you are doing is the best approach to dealing with a bad situation.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - duksnfish - 04-01-2022

Ya, I knew when I took this on, it was now or never and I just didnt think the floor would take one more year without doing something. So, yep, was it the right time?  Maybe not with my health, but hey, I figured that what the heck just go for it.  But believe me, getting down into the inside of the boat onto the floor to try and make things fit you normally can get yourself into some positions that make you wonder what the heck your doing.  But now, OMG, I got into some positions 2 days ago getting the first piece of wood down that I really thought I was a contortionist lol lol Smile And I felt it yesterday but, I got it down and in so hey, its all good.  But the one small piece that fits back under one of the back seats where the motor battery goes with all the wiring, try to do this with normal health Sad let alone with only one knee that works on 50% capacity and the other one on about 10%. Thank God for boat cushions so you can kneel down on the floor to get into a position that even Houdini would be proud of, lol lol. Any how, I just try to figure out every step before I get into the boat because getting down once is tough enough, let alone in and out measure remeasure, cut, recut, on and on. It just dont work and then to have an oxygen hose that you need to breath and you keep laying on it, kneeling on it and you cant breath, OMG, it becomes a comedian show to say the least. 
But, I will get it done and I will use it until I can no longer get in or out of the damn boat, lol. 

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - wiperhunter2 - 04-01-2022

Glad it's working out and it's just like you said, doing it one piece at a time will get it done.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - duksnfish - 06-09-2022

(04-01-2022, 12:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Glad it's working out and it's just like you said, doing it one piece at a time will get it done.

Ok, so its taken me a while to get this done with having to travel home to Illinois when mom passed away, stupid weather hold ups, and my health on days just wouldnt let me do any work on the floor of the boat.  With all of it done and said, I finally finished up the floor today. I may do a couple touch where I put the screws through the wood and into the old floor.

This certainly was an interesting job to say the least. Learned a lot and if I was in better health, and could move around better, it would have been a lot more fun and I could have done a better job, but, its gonna work for me. Even though I used paint that has a non-skid pigment in it, I decided to put a couple of strips of non-skid material across the wood just to help with any slippage that may happen when the wood gets wet. So, here's the finishing photos of what I did. I think it will outlast me and the wife for as long as we live. This is the paint I used. Man is it thick thick thick.
[Image: 20220330-145605.jpg]

[Image: 20220608-155527.jpg]

[Image: 20220608-155533.jpg]

[Image: 20220608-155749.jpg]

[Image: 20220608-160459.jpg]

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - wiperhunter2 - 06-09-2022

That really looks good, great job, when are you planning on taking it out for it's first test?

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - duksnfish - 06-09-2022

(06-09-2022, 02:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That really looks good, great job, when are you planning on taking it out for it's first test?

Thanks, hopefully next week. I know weather is supposed to be a bit iffy, with some wind, but, hey, if nothing else, I just need to get out. I think it is/was just an easy way to cover some floor issues without the normally tough task of tearing the entire floor out and then decide you made a mistake. The weight shouldnt be an issue, the floor took just less than a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood so maybe 20#s added to the weight. Better than taking a step on a rot spot that was showing up and ending up putting my entire foot through the floor while on the water and then ask what now, lol Smile.

All cracks are sealed with Gorilla water proof sealant as well as the edges were they meet up to the walls of the boat and under the back to the transom they are also sealed.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - wiperhunter2 - 06-09-2022

(06-09-2022, 11:28 AM)duksnfish Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 02:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That really looks good, great job, when are you planning on taking it out for it's first test?

Thanks, hopefully next week. I know weather is supposed to be a bit iffy, with some wind, but, hey, if nothing else, I just need to get out. I think it is/was just an easy way to cover some floor issues without the normally tough task of tearing the entire floor out and then decide you made a mistake. The weight shouldnt be an issue, the floor took just less than a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood so maybe 20#s added to the weight. Better than taking a step on a rot spot that was showing up and ending up putting my entire foot through the floor while on the water and then ask what now, lol Smile.

All cracks are sealed with Gorilla water proof sealant as well as the edges were they meet up to the walls of the boat and under the back to the transom they are also sealed.

Sounds like you covered it well, should make a huge difference.

RE: Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - meancuznalfy - 06-09-2022

Sounds like everything is coming along quite well, you'll be on the water in no time.