Fishing Forum
Kolob - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Kolob (/showthread.php?tid=1105052)

Kolob - richyd4u - 08-27-2024

My oldest daughter and I decided to run the boat up to Kolob this past weekend and see if we could get a tube jig bite. Lake is still full as ever, only down a couple feet from full pool, glad to see that! Air temps were 50 degrees when we arrived around 7pm, water temps at 62 degrees and clarity good. worked the marina area quick before venturing down lake and had one good hit, but no hook up. We headed down lake to our usual fall areas, and I hooked the first and only tiger of the day. It was a fatty and close to 20". The wind at that time was minimal but soon picked up to a consistent 20mph making it hard to fish where we normally like to. That didn't stop us though, we found a productive bank line and proceeded to nail some quality bows and a few cutts! Wind was moving us down the bank at a fast rate, so we threw the anchor out to slow us down some, but it wouldn't hold fully in the muddy bottom and the high wind. Every time we'd drift the section, we'd manage 2 or so big fish. Tube of the day was a 3" smokey with black flake with a 1/4 oz jig head. We had several big tigers follow, but never got any of them to commit after the first one I caught earlier. Lots of fun, daughter had a blast. We ended up with 10 quality fish by noon and decided we had had enough of the wind. Great late summer/early fall trip...gonna be a great fall! Can't wait! 

[Image: 20240825-083453.jpg]

[Image: 7704557301909507491.jpg]

[Image: 20240825-120855.jpg]

[Image: 6209359033285913485.jpg]

[Image: 20240825-082957.jpg]

RE: Kolob - gofish435 - 08-27-2024

Thanks for the great report and photos.  Those are some quality fish.  It's good you stuck out the wind and picked up those fish.

The wind can screw anything up. Angry

I haven't been there in years but it was always good fishing, and you always had a chance for some large fish.

RE: Kolob - Cowboypirate - 08-28-2024

Love them Smiles. Can tell it was a good day

RE: Kolob - Jmorfish - 08-28-2024

Nicely done..sometimes the fishin' is better while the wind is blowin'...but I'll get off if it's turning to steady whitecaps...great pics..

RE: Kolob - joshomaru - 08-28-2024

I haven't been there for a long time; it's such a pretty place that just kind of pops up out of Mars like terrain. Those are some quality fish! You two sure get on some good adventures together!
Weren't perch found there a number of years ago? I remember reading that they were going to rotenone the water. If that took place, it looks like Kolob bounced back nicely!
Thanks for the awesome share man.

RE: Kolob - wormandbobber - 08-28-2024

Perch, green sunfish, and bluegill were found in Kolob and it was poisoned in 2018. Yes, it has bounced back very nicely. Kolob is a fun place and a good fishery. I wish it were closer.

RE: Kolob - richyd4u - 08-28-2024

(08-28-2024, 02:11 PM)joshomaru Wrote: I haven't been there for a long time; it's such a pretty place that just kind of pops up out of Mars like terrain.  Those are some quality fish!  You two sure get on some good adventures together!
Weren't perch found there a number of years ago?  I remember reading that they were going to rotenone the water.  If that took place, it looks like Kolob bounced back nicely! 
Thanks for the awesome share man.

Yeah, unfortunately they did find some "invasive" species in there and treated it in 2018. So Sad...there were some TANKS in there when they did that. It's taken 6 years to come back, but it's definitely back and now with big tigers and brookies in the mix! I'm worried though because they've found some leaking in the dam there and I hope they don't have to draw it down too much to repair that and lose what progress the fishery has made. Water levels have been excellent up there since they filled it back up in 2019 after the treatment...hope to keep it that way! Fish are fat and sassy as a result!

RE: Kolob - joshomaru - 08-28-2024

Thanks for the updates!