Fishing Forum
Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River (/showthread.php?tid=1105063)

Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - Cowboypirate - 08-30-2024

In the 1985 June issue of Outdoor Life there is an article that states "you can catch more fish with a dry fly than a worm". Cookie and I are doing a fun video series where we search out old methods or locations from vintage outdoor magazines and testing, recreating or exploring them. This was the second trip/video in that series.

To explore the concepts in this article I took a recommendation from a couple members on this site to a location on the Upper Weber River. Thanks guys, for that recommendation - you know who you are and I really appreciate the suggestion. The hike in was amazing, the river was rough and rugged as it ran down steep section of boulders and some ledges but was laced with exceptional pools and riffles to fish. Flows were low and crystal clear. If I was not careful and presented a shadow of my big old cowboy hat on the water the fish had lockjaw, but if I applied a we bit of stealth (as best an old cowboy can) I found very willing brookies and cuts. 

The article stated that the Royal Coachman has caught more fish than any other fly. Dont know where he got the data to support that claim but staying true to following the article that is what I fished with and the trout did not seem to mind biting a floating Christmas tree that looks absolutely like nothing that actually floats down the water - got to love that.

I fell hard at one point. Dont tell Cookie or she will stop letting me solo boondocking like this. Also dropped my camera in the river and had to go underwater or it. Great trip. Great area. Great fishing with Jim McCue and his 1985 story

here is the video

https://youtu.be/_qxxbD5-yNQ?si=ybzCnmr9dFdq03gI

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - Gone Forever - 08-30-2024

Nice. I remember you asking about this area a while back. There is about 5 times as much water in the river as there was when I went there. Did you take the trail all the way to where it crosses the river?

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - Cowboypirate - 08-30-2024

(08-30-2024, 04:24 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Nice. I remember you asking about this area a while back. There is about 5 times as much water in the river as there was when I went there. Did you take the trail all the way to where it crosses the river?

I crossed the bridge and walked in about what I thought was a mile or 2 and cut over. Wished I would have went in higher. Best fishing was when I first cut in

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - richyd4u - 08-30-2024

Another great video. Reminds me of growing up in Northern UT and my Dad teach us the ways of the renegade fly. We caught soooo many fish on that fly. Seemed like they would hit that when they wouldn't hit anything else. Haven't fish one though for probably 30 yrs now, but such great memories! Rarely used the Royal Coachman, but we did time to time. It did catch fish.

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - lovetofish - 08-31-2024

It looked like it was a fun trip. The fish don't always have to be large in order to enjoy a fishing trip. The scenery was beautiful too. It won't be long when trips like this are going to be colder, but the autumn colors will be in full bloom. Thanks for sharing.

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - JazzyM - 08-31-2024

I’m really enjoying your vintage series. Keep up the good work.

RE: Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - Bduck - 08-31-2024

Enjoyed the adventurous video, thanks for sharing. I have fond memories as a kid learning flyfishing in the early to mid 60's of the small streams I used to flyfish in the mountains of northern California.  Cool