Fishing Forum
Fishing at St George? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Fishing at St George? (/showthread.php?tid=1105125)

Fishing at St George? - TINMAN10 - 09-23-2024

I’m going to be in Hurricane next Thursday for 5 days.   I may want to try some shore fishing.  I know that there is Bass in sand Hollow and Quail creek.  What other fish can I target?   Catfish? Panfish?    Is there any trout available with the heat maybe at Kolob Reservoir?

RE: Fishing at St George? - wiperhunter2 - 09-23-2024

(09-23-2024, 04:44 AM)TINMAN10 Wrote: I’m going to be in Hurricane next Thursday for 5 days.   I may want to try some shore fishing.  I know that there is Bass in sand Hollow and Quail creek.  What other fish can I target?   Catfish? Panfish?    Is there any trout available with the heat maybe at Kolob Reservoir?

Hopefully one of the local guys in the St George area will chime in but for sure there are crappie in Quail creek, maybe in Sand Hollow too, not sure about the cats. As far as Kolob, did you see this recent report from there?
Kolob Round #2 (bigfishtackle.com)

Temps are cooling off, so the catching is starting to improve. Good luck and welcome to the site.

RE: Fishing at St George? - stan55 - 09-23-2024

Quail has trout as well as bluegills and crappie. There are a few channel cats in there as well. Sand Hollow has bass, bluegill and crappie all catchable from shore. Most popular spot-on SH is the southern dike/dam.

RE: Fishing at St George? - richyd4u - 09-24-2024

Yeah...great time of year all around to be fishing down here! You can go for LMs off the dams at Sand Hollow and catch em all day, along with gills and occasional crappie. Kolob is fishing great, just remember that it's artificial fly and lure only right now up there. Good luck!

RE: Fishing at St George? - doitall5000 - 09-25-2024

Ok here's my two cents worth. I would like to incourage you pros and armature To stop releasing those 8 inch bass. I would like to catch something bigger that a 10 inch bass. Everywhere I fish, for bass walleye perch crappie, and others, it seams the little bass can't wait to steal my bait. I have lots of paddle tail jigs with the paddle tail bitten off.
I remember yuba once, for two years had some nice pike. Everyone enjoyed catching and releasing them. They soon had eaten most everything in the lake. Then were themselves becoming stunted. If you think differently please join in.
I'm done thanks..

RE: Fishing at St George? - RockyRaab2 - 09-25-2024

Not a biologist, but I agree. We tend to release little ones and keep the big ones. With bass, we've been so conditioned to catch and release that nobody keeps ANY bass. That's a grave mistake. Little ones are hyper aggressive because they're starving. It should be our goal to keep a limit of mid-sized ones at least some of the time.

Besides, bass are members of the sunfish family and thus have white, flaky and sweet flesh. Delicious. From cooler waters, they're as tasty as perch or walleye, IMO.

RE: Fishing at St George? - richyd4u - 09-25-2024

I agree with taking limits of midsized LMs in our local lakes, especially Sand Hollow. Us bass fishermen are so programmed on catch and release that it can lead to over-population and growth stunting for sure. Sand Hollow had become harder and harder to get through all the 10-15 inchers to some decent fish. Lure size does help with that some, but those Florida strain LMs in there will take baits as big as themselves!