Fishing Forum
I-80 pond - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing holes (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+--- Thread: I-80 pond (/showthread.php?tid=120932)

Pages: 1 2

I-80 pond - cat_man - 04-02-2004

Hey all I'll be heading out to the I-80 pond early tomorrow morning it might even be kinda dark. I've never been there before, and I need some good directions from Utah County.

I know I take I-15 North. Then I assume I hit the I-80 interchange and head west. From there I'm not sure exactly, although I know it's on the north side at a view area about 1 mile before the Tooele exit. Is that the I-80 Westbound Tooele Exit?

Please help. Thanks.
[signature]

Re: [cat_man] Need directions to the I-80 pond - AnglerDan - 04-02-2004

You got it. It may be quicker to come out on SR 201 through magna and then around the copper mine. Just as you intersect back into 1-80 west bound you will see the pond on your right and the exit for the view area. If that is confusing follow 1-80 west past airport all around by the lake and as you are about 1 mile from tooele exit you will see the pond.
[signature]

Re: [AnglerDan] Need directions to the I-80 pond - cat_man - 04-02-2004

Hey thanks Dan. Do you know what exit SR 201 Magna is from I-15?
[signature]

Re: [cat_man] Need directions to the I-80 pond - AnglerDan - 04-02-2004

The junction to head out will be the next exit after 3300 south. I believe it is labled sr 201 but I could be wrong. I think it is the same right after the I-80 east bound ramp. Just stay to your right and you will see it.
[signature]

Re: [AnglerDan] Need directions to the I-80 pond - mikecromaine - 04-02-2004

YOU JUST PARK IN THE VIEW AREA BEFORE TOOLE AND LOOK AT THE GREAT SALT LAKE IT'S IN BETWEEN THE RAILROAD TRACKS AND THE FREEWAY GOOD LUCK IN THERE THERE IS ALOT OF BULLGILLS AND SOME BASS AND CRAPPIE FROM TIME TO TIME
[signature]

Re: [AnglerDan] Need directions to the I-80 pond - cat_man - 04-02-2004

Thanks again guys! I'll be sure to post a full report on Monday. Hopefully we don't get drenched!
[signature]

Re: [cat_man] Need directions to the I-80 pond - BADFISH - 04-02-2004

NORTH I-15 TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

SR201, AKA 2100 SOUTH FREEWAY, TAKE THE RAMP LIKE YOU WANT TO GO TO THE 1300 SOUTH EXIT JUST AFTER THE I-80 EAST RAMP, BUT STAY TO THE LEFT OF THE RAMP AND YOU WILL SEE A SIGN FOR THE 900 WEST EXIT, TAKE THIS RAMP THEN MERGE LEFT, THAT PUTS YOU RIGHT ON SR201 FROM THERE JUST GO WEST TILL THE ROAD BENDS AND CONNECTS TO I-80 STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE, IT TURNS INTO THE EXIT ONLY FOR THE VIEW AREA, THEN YOU PARK AT THE EAST END OF THE LOT, WALK DOWN THE TRAIL YOU SEE AND VOILA' THERE IS THE POND. SET UP, FISH, HAVE FUN.

OPTION 2: I-80 WEST, TAKE I-15 NORTH TO THE AIRPORT/RENO EXIT, THAT IS I-80 WEST BOUND, STAY ON THAT UNTILL APPROX 13000 WEST, OR ONE MILE BEFORE THE TOOELE EXIT JUST AS YOU SEE THE SIGN FOR TOOELE, YOU WILL GO UNDER AN OVERPASS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, IT IS ABOUT 2 MILES AFTER THE SALTAIR EXIT AKA, SR 202. RIGHT AFTER YOU PASS UNDER THE OVER PASS, MERGE RIGHT...THIS TURNS INTO THE EXIT ONLY LANE FOR THE VIEW AREA, ONCE THERE PARK AT EAST END OF LOT, WALK DOWN TRAIL YOU SEE AND VOILA' THERE IS THE POND. SET UP, FISH, HAVE FUN.

HOPE THAT HELPS, I DRIVE TO WORK EVERYDAY AT 6 AM ISH, I PREFERR TO TAKE 2100 SOUTH, OR SR201, IT IS QUICKER AND YOU DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH ALL THE AIRPORT TRAFFIC, BUT BEWARE, SR 201 HAS A SPEED LIMIT OF 60, I-80 IT IS 75. COPS LIKE EM BOTH SO WATCH OUT. I SEE SEVERAL PEOPLE EVERY DAY PULLED OVER. EVEN ON SATURDAYS. YOU WILL HAVE TO WALK DOWN THE PIPE A WAYS TO GET TO WATER DEEP ENOUGH TO GET IN ON YOUR TUBE UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO THE DUCK WALK WITH A DONUT AROUND YOUR WAIST. LOL, IT SHOULD BE PRETTY GOOD, THE CRAPPIE WERE WILLING LAST TIME I WAS THERE, ON TUESDAY, THE GILLS WERE TOO SMALL TO GET HOOKED ON MY SPINNER BUT THEY WHACKED ANYHOW. THE BASS WERE NOT BIG ENOUGH TO EAT THE GILLS, BUT I WAS ON SHORE JUST CASTING AND ALL...HALF WAY DOWN IS ALL ... NOT MUCH ACTION, YOU SHOULD DO WELL WITH MEAL WORMS ON A SMALL JIG AND SLIP FLOAT, OR CRAWLERS WILL DO FINE TOO...SPINNERS IN GOLD OR BRASS AND THE WATER IS A LITTLE STAIND, SILVER WONT PRODUCE THE "FLASH" YOU WANT, NOTHING HAS HIT ANY TOP WATER STUFF I HAVE TRIED YET...SKITTER POP, FLOATING RAPALAS, THAT KINDA THINK, BUT I WAS THINKING AN UNWEIGHTED WACKY RIGGED SENKO TYPE BAIT WOULD WORK WONDERS....I JUST GOT MY SAMPLE OF GULP! BAITS IN THE MAIL, AND WAS THINKIN THAT 6 INCH MINNOW WORM WOULD BE GREAT.....I HAVENT TRIED IT YET, BUT I GOT IT LAST NIGHT. SO..I THINK THAT MAY BE THE WAY TO GO. GOOD LUCK, SCREEMING REELS!

LATERS,
[signature]

Re: [BADFISH] Need directions to the I-80 pond - cat_man - 04-02-2004

Hey thanks Badfish. I'm going to targe both the bucketmouths and the panfish.
[signature]

Re: [cat_man] Need directions to the I-80 pond - LineDropper - 04-02-2004

The exit is marked as west valley exit. take that and go west and your in good shape.

Line Dropper
[signature]

Re: [cat_man] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - LineDropper - 04-02-2004

HEY......... I CAN SEE MY HOUSE[Smile] JUST TO THE TOP OF THE NOT HERE
[signature]

Re: [LineDropper] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - maddawg - 02-07-2006

I'm going to fish this this year
[signature]

Re: [maddawg] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - bassrods - 02-07-2006

Don't forget that those ponds are loaded with heavy metal. That means many more times the mercury you should get in a whole year and that includes lead....

From what I've heard mercury is not expelled from the body. It adds up. So...if you eat those fish...you might just start glowing in the dark.

[signature]

Re: [bassrods] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - TubeDude - 02-07-2006

[cool][#0000ff]I might normally expect that you were just trying to scare folks off from molesting your pet basses, but I have also heard reports of the high levels of contaminants in the fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Why, I heerd tell that there was so much mercury in those fish you could use them for rectal thermometers. (not a good visual) Just watch out for the spines. Ouch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - bassrods - 02-07-2006

I used to work for Kennecott...and that water has always been loaded with heavy metals. Those fish were planted in various ponds all the way from the tailings ponds...all died out (can't imagine why), except in those ponds beside I-80 and under the bridge. Fun to catch...but I would'nt want to have my temperature taken with one. They'll get you coming and going... [Sad]

[signature]

Re: [bassrods] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - TubeDude - 02-07-2006

[cool][#0000ff]As you know, there used to be some good sized bass and bluegills in there. Still a few but not many larger fish. I can't believe how many people keep those fish for the table. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It literally went down the toilet for fishing after Dougie's show a couple of years ago.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - scartinez - 02-07-2006

I used to do well out there quite a few years ago, but it sure has gone down hill, way down hill. I encourage all who fish these ponds to release all the mature bass caught for the health of the fishery and yourself!!!
[signature]

Re: [scartinez] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - bassrods - 02-07-2006

I like your picture Lake Powell??

[signature]

Re: [bassrods] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - scartinez - 02-07-2006

Red Fleet, caught and released.
[signature]

Re: [scartinez] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - bassrods - 02-07-2006

Thats a fun lake to fish nice picture ...Its nice to here that its still swimming....

[signature]

Re: [bassrods] DIRECTIONS TO I-80 POND - scartinez - 02-07-2006

I sure hope he is still swimming .

Fish Killers Beware!!! For every trophy fish you kill, you will suffer many future years of terrible fishing as punishment.

Let's keep the trophy fish genes in the population.
[signature]