Fishing Forum
uintas - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: uintas (/showthread.php?tid=519453)

uintas - Brandee - 07-26-2009

I need a lil advice on the uintas. I had never been backpacking, or hiking before and we went up by grandaddy lake which everybody says is such and easy hike. I swear I almost died. We camped at betsy then when we woke up we were going to go fish shadow. Well we kinda missed the trail and ended up at powell. After we fished powell and didn't get a single bite we got lost about 10 miles off the trail which was hell for a fatty like me!!! haha. But ya I only ended up catching one fish at lodgepole after we finally figured out where we were. I dont think that was the typical uintas experience because all i've ever heard is how much fun people have up there and how many fish they catch. So can anybody give me some advice on where to go for next time? Maybe a day trip is more my thing because I suck at the whole backpack thing.

Re: [Brandee] uintas - albinotrout - 07-26-2009

Basic rules that one should follow in the Uintas is:
1 always carry a map and compass
2. carry plenty of water
3. first aid kit
4. food
5 extra clothing and rain gear and jacket, hat for my head I am follicly challenged[sly]
5. fishing gear that would be good for Uintas are:

clear bubble
leader line I use 6lb test as leader and 8 lb on the reel.
basic flies I use are woolly bugger, leaches, royal coachman, royal wullff, mosquito, renegade. Others if those don't work (whatever is in my fly box at time)
Spoons I prefer fire orange with white stripe and red with white stripe. If you like bait go with the worm always works. Some liike powerbait too.
Hope this helps[cool]
[signature]

Re: [Brandee] uintas - brookie - 07-27-2009

Brandee, Everything Albino said is good advice. Here is some more. Consider the time of year. Lower area Uintas areas are better at first ice out. Grandaddy was really good fishing back the last week of June and probably through early July. It tends to slow (lots of places do too) as the weather heats up. Some of the higher country is better later in July but a lot farther than Grandaddy. A friend just came back from 4 lakes basin and did very well. Also know yourself. If Grandaddy seemed like a hard hike, likely your pack was too heavy however if you went clear to Powell and back, you went quite a ways. The trail to Shadow is almost non-existant and easy to miss. The higher country will be farther and harder. A friend with horses (especially one who has been there before) can be a great thing if you want to get into the higher country.
[signature]

Re: [Brandee] uintas - nobites - 07-27-2009

Fuuny you should talk about lost at lakes.This weekend we tried to find Cliff lake twice and ended up once at wall lake and the second was on top of watson mountain, almost 3 times further than we should have. We used a map but the trails just aren't clear enough for the old farts like us, I was so winded by the time I got back to camp I took a long nap and was so tired. We never did find Cliff lake..I guess we will have to make another trip and try to find it.
[signature]

Re: [Brandee] uintas - Brandee - 07-27-2009

ya thanks for the advice you guys. i would really like to try it again. i think my two biggest problems were that i have asthma and i didn't take my inhaler and that i wore brand new steel toe boots.
[signature]