Fishing Forum
Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 (/showthread.php?tid=571379)

Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - BearLakeFishGuy - 03-15-2010

Anglers on Bear Lake are still being checked with good catches for cutthroat trout. Some fish this last week were over 10lbs and the average fish was about 2-3 lbs. The best fishing has been by trolling with downriggers in 60-65’ of water close to the bottom. Good spots have been along the east side from 2nd Point north to Cisco Beach and off the Gus Rich/rockpile area. Lures being trolled are spoons, flatfish and rapala-type lures. Boats can be launched at the Utah State Park marina, 1st point, Cisco Beach, and Rainbow Cove ramps. There have also been some reports of lake trout being caught off the very south end of the lake near Rendezvous Beach in about 60’ of water using tube jigs tipped with cisco or carp meat jigged right on the bottom. The lake is entirely free of ice.

Personally, I fished on Saturday off the rockpile trolling. I started at 8:15 and fished until 11:15. I caught 4 cutthroat and lost one other. I observed ever boat around me also boating some fish. I was trolling with both flatfish and broken-back rapalas in bright yellow. Seemed like the fish wanted yellow since I started off running other colors. I did some major experimenting with different depths but it did not do me any good. I think if I would have just stayed in the 65' zone the whole time I could have caught more fish than I did. How did everyone else do? I know there were some other BFT'ers out there this weekend.
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - cheesechucker - 03-15-2010

never been to bear lake before do you know about how long it takes to get there from salt lake .[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [cheesechucker] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - Old_Coot - 03-15-2010

From Salt Lake approximately 2.5 - 2.75 hours.
[signature]

Re: [Old_Coot] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - cheesechucker - 03-15-2010

thanks i would really like to try fishing it, this year somtime. thnks again.[fishin]
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - bodine11 - 03-15-2010

My wife and myself went out Friday from 10:00-1:00 boated 5 cutthroats the largest being 5 1/2 lbs real pretty male. Released all 5. Had a real good time.

Bodine
[signature]

Re: [bodine11] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - cheesechucker - 03-15-2010

Nice report, over the years i have kind of been a homer. I try to stay close to home my favorite lake beening deer creek. so this year i have promised my self to try and travel alittle further and try som diffrent places. bear lake being one. again thanks for the update[Smile]
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - t_wolfer - 03-16-2010

We boated four as also, I guess my dad did I was suckin it up! First hit I snapped my line, must of had a bad nik in it some where, then I had one come unhooked. Oh well dad felt pretty good out fishing me! It was fun, we pressed our luck though about 1 the wind came and blew us off the water we had a dang rough ride back to the marina!
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - Hook_Setter - 03-16-2010

Great report, thank you. I been wanting to try Bear lake, I just picked up a new boat and been wanting to try some open water for Cutthroat, sounds like Bear Lake is spot to go.
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Bear Lake weekend March 13-14 - Itcntogofishin - 03-17-2010

Where is this rockpile at? I fished the lake a couple of times and nothing. I do not have down riggers so all I would be able to do is tube jig it.
[signature]