Fishing Forum
Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) (/showthread.php?tid=875502)

Pages: 1 2

Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-11-2014

so im trying to get more serious about my fishing and know my basic setups are not going to get it done anymore, but im not ready (mentally or financially) to go "ALL OUT" on my stuff and have all the highest end stuff but want something better then what im using now, ive always used an ugly stick rod and a lot of guys ive talked to said they like them still
but i have just the regular ol reel it came with on it and i went to smith and Edwards today to look for a better one with a line counter, came a crossed a shake-spear tidewater 20 series with the counter for $42.00 it seamed like a nicely put together reel
so im thinking of picking that one up and getting a new line setup for deep trolling at the gorge.

whats everyone's thoughts on that reel?
what line does the masses recommend for the Gorge?
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - ntrl_brn_rebel - 04-12-2014

The Shakespeare tide water is one of the worst reels I have ever fished with, horrible, horrible drag system...buy a cabelas depth master if your budget is around 50.00...I use them on trolling rods, they are durable, well worth the money, but they are no penn or shimano
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - zman2 - 04-12-2014

not quite shure what you are wanting if you like to troll use a mono or braid with a leader 15 to36 will work fluro is good but green mono works also...your reel is ok just lube the drag. the rod needs to be soft but long 6 feet or more any questions feel free to give me a buzz scotty,,
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - submoa - 04-12-2014

If your using down riggers I'd upgrade your pole to talora's by Shimano (I upgraded from ugly Sticks to them and I can't believe the difference). I am also using Shimano reels, they are among the best. I believe I use 10 lb mono as I'm after the Kokanee, they have soft mouths as it is, I like a little stretch in the line. I am a fan of a line counter, you can always look at the spool and guesstimate that way so not necessary.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - jacksonlaker - 04-12-2014

For trolling I use berkely Trilene big game in green. It is not expensive, it's tough and has good knot strength. I think those Shakespeare reels are crap, and I do not like the Cabelas line counters. I found that if I spend a little more and get quality gear, I'm not constantly upgrading, where you are spending more because you are buying stuff twice ! As far as line counters go, I love em but you can always do this trick. Pull the line out on your level wind reel and when the level wind goes from end to end measure the amount of line in the "pass". I do this with my smaller Kokanee reels. One pass on my Abu is about 10 feet of line, so 7 passes is about 70 feet.
[signature]

Re: [jacksonlaker] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-12-2014

ill be trolling for macks and some koke but this year i want to start going after big lakers mainly.

ill have to look into that rod and see some reels. might make a trip down to cabelas and sheels tomorrow to look around
[signature]

Re: [submoa] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-12-2014

thanks for the info, im not sure if i ready to spend $80 on a rod yet tho...
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - WiperMac - 04-12-2014

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Daiwa-AccuDepth-Plus-Linecotunter-ADP-LC-Cabelas-DepthMaster-Combo/702509.uts

I have six of these and for the price and quality I couldn't be happier. Four are on 8'6" ML rods and two are on 5'.

That 8'6" ML will handle the biggest Wipers and Mac's but still sensitive enough for soft mouth salmon.

For the main line I use 12 pound Trilene XT, with a fluorocarbon leader.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - submoa - 04-12-2014

There may be equal rods for less, I don't know. I know that if a very small fish breathes on the lure I can see it on the rod. It actually surprised me. I thought if it's on a downrigger there wouldn't be a huge difference. With a bigger fish it probably wouldn't matter.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - MisterCompletely - 04-12-2014

I have some higher priced Penns etc, but my go-to downrigger outfits are the basic Cabela's line counter rods and reels. They've held up well, have smooth drags, light weight, and the line counters are definitely nice to have. They're often on sale for about $80 I think for the combo, and the rods come in a lot of different lengths and weights. The regular price for the reel only is about $50, or $40 on sale. I think you'd be very happy with that reel. As for line, there are too many options to even suggest one, and the super lines are quite expensive. Just don't buy the cheapest you can find!

Another thought --- for downrigging, a very thin line works a lot better than a fat line. So braid is a better choice than mono in that way. A 30-pound braid generally has a diameter of about 8 or 10 pound mono, so doesn't have as much drag through the water as 30-pound mono. Of course some people just prefer the stretch and give that mono has, whereas braid has no stretch. So 10 people might choose 10 different lines.
[signature]

Re: [MisterCompletely] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-12-2014

do you have a model/part number for the rod/rells your talking about?

im spooled with 40lb spider wire braid right now, trying to decide if its worth switching out or keeping?
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - MisterCompletely - 04-13-2014

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-DepthMaster150-III-Trolling-Combo/1746484.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D13%26y%3D6&Ntt=trolling+rod&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Cabela's Depthmaster III on sale now for $79.98 for the rod and reel combo. Or $39.99 for just the reel, regular $59.99.

That 40 lb spiderwire is fine. But if you use that setup for kokes, you might rip a lot of lips. Also, you probably are very aware that for downrigging, you need to bend the rod tip way down while trolling, so you might consider a fast action rod tip rather than a really stiff rod.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - remo_5_0 - 04-13-2014

If you haven't bought anything yet, I have two Okuma Magda line counter rod/reel combo's that I will make you a good deal on…shoot me a PM if interested.
[signature]

Re: [MisterCompletely] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-13-2014

[quote MisterCompletely]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-DepthMaster150-III-Trolling-Combo/1746484.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D13%26y%3D6&Ntt=trolling+rod&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Cabela's Depthmaster III on sale now for $79.98 for the rod and reel combo. Or $39.99 for just the reel, regular $59.99.

That 40 lb spiderwire is fine. But if you use that setup for kokes, you might rip a lot of lips. Also, you probably are very aware that for downrigging, you need to bend the rod tip way down while trolling, so you might consider a fast action rod tip rather than a really stiff rod.[/quote]

what size poll do you suggest i get? 6'6"?
[signature]

Re: [remo_5_0] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-13-2014

[quote remo_5_0]If you haven't bought anything yet, I have two Okuma Magda line counter rod/reel combo's that I will make you a good deal on…shoot me a PM if interested.[/quote]

thinking about ordering one of the above listed cabelas setup for lakers and getting a new reel for my ugly stick nd set it up for koke fishing.

but shoot me a pm with price and info on yours please
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - Beautiful-Fish - 04-15-2014

For Mac I use a Bass PRO 7' , 1Piece , Fast Action , Rod
Line Weight:8-17 lbs. Model:CS702MT +

Shimano Tekota Levelwind Line Counter Reel Model TEK300LC

15 lb IZORLINE XXX line
[signature]

Re: [Beautiful-Fish] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-15-2014

[quote Beautiful-Fish]For Mac I use a Bass PRO 7' , 1Piece , Fast Action , Rod
Line Weight:8-17 lbs. Model:CS702MT +

Shimano Tekota Levelwind Line Counter Reel Model TEK300LC

15 lb IZORLINE XXX line[/quote]

probably a stupid question but im still learning all the fancy stuff, how do you tell if theyre a fast action rod or not?
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - SBennett - 04-15-2014

I have a Penn reel and 8.5' pole combo you can take for $50 if you want. Pics and description are on KSL.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - Beautiful-Fish - 04-16-2014

Most bass rod actions are fast to very fast because this action generally provides better sensitivity and faster power for hooksetting. By faster power we mean the rod 'shuts off' faster, or the bend ends higher on the blank, which means you don't have to move the rod as far on the hookset to get into the stiffer part of the blank. Fast action rods are great for most applications where a short to long casting distance is involved and single hooks are the rule, such as worm and jig fishing.

See http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html
[signature]

Re: [MisterCompletely] Input on Reel & what line to use please (Gorge trolling) - TRUBBS - 04-22-2014

[quote MisterCompletely]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-DepthMaster150-III-Trolling-Combo/1746484.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dtrolling%2Brod%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D13%26y%3D6&Ntt=trolling+rod&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

That 40 lb spiderwire is fine. But if you use that setup for kokes, you might rip a lot of lips. Also, you probably are very aware that for downrigging, you need to bend the rod tip way down while trolling, so you might consider a fast action rod tip rather than a really stiff rod.[/quote]

I picked this rod up yesterday, ended up being $64.04 after tax.
Got the 6'6" rod with the 30 reel. Going to put my spider wire line on this setup for laker trolling then planning on getting another reel fort ugly stick & spool it up for koke.
[signature]