Fishing Forum
Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) (/showthread.php?tid=891437)

Pages: 1 2

Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]Ok so the DWR want the salmon thinned out a bit so I felt obligated to do my part. We headed up to the pig bright and early Friday the 18th and were greeted by perfect weather and willing fish. I fished my bottom rod at 50’ with my stacker rod set at 35’. My partner found his lucky number at 33’. After reading some older reports and receiving PM’s about an “Epic” spinner I placed my order. Unfortunately the shipment still hasn’t come in but I was able to come up with a close second based on photos. We ended up keeping 20 kokanee ranging in size from 10”-13” for the smoker and grill with at least that many long line releases. Not the bigger fish you’ll find at the Berry or Gorge but the numbers make up for the lack of size. I’m thinking dinner tonight will be smoked salmon enchiladas in homemade chili verde sauce. YUM!!!!! [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]Okay onto the product review. I picked up a couple Shasta Shuttle Hawks for my stacker rods. The idea of the shuttle hawk is to allow you to leave your downrigger ball in the water and not have to crank it up every time you get a bite on your top rod. The shuttle hawk is a planner board that attaches to you downrigger cable and dives your stacker down to a predetermined depth and is used in lieu of a stacker clip. With upward pressure of your pole it dives and with no pressure it raises back to the surface. In theory it looked and sounded good. Right? WRONG!!!! These things are junk. They were constantly sticking to the rigger cable when dropping my ball and they wouldn’t come back to the surface as designed. By the end of the two hours I used them I lost one full rig (dodger and spinner); it frayed my rigger cable to the point of replacement, cost me a terminator and two hours of prime fishing time. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]I did all my homework before making the purchase. Prior to our trip I replaced the line release clip as suggested by online reviews and upgraded the cable lock clip instead of using a rubber band as suggested by Shasta. I feel I gave the product plenty of time for an honest review. All I can say is this receives zero stars and represents $56.96 of wasted money. I’m just glad I chose to test them prior to the DAV event. [/font]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WaveWolf - 07-21-2014

[#484848]Good Show ....... That chilli verda sauce looks outstanding.[/#484848]
[#484848]I was reading and article from a supposed expert on Kokanee fishing and here is what he said about getting them in the net.[/#484848]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]P.S. If anyone has had good luck with the Shuttle Hawk please speak up. In theory they look like a great produce. Maybe I just need some pointers on how to make them them more affective. [:/][/font]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - wiperhunter2 - 07-21-2014

Nice report and pics Trevor, thanks for posting. I remember that fishing cleaning station, been there done that[Wink]. Sorry to hear the Epic lures did not come in before your trip to the Pig, have you received them now? Did you have any problem launching? Did you launch at the back launch? Too bad about the Shuttle Hawks[:|].
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]Nope the Epic still hasn’t come. The reason their holding off on shipping is because they’re also planning on donating some swag for the DAV raffle and wanted to ship it out all at once. Their working with a couple of their vendors to put together as good of a package as they can for our hard working vets, God bless them. If it takes a couple days to get it all worked out then I’m fine with waiting. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Yep we launched out of the upper ramp. No problems so long as you have four wheel drive and good tires. I sure as heck wouldn’t think about launching anything bigger than my 18’ though. The sound of the winch strap stretching when I was getting pulled out had my butt puckered!!!!! [laugh][/font]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - Ryno - 07-21-2014

I used to use them all the time and loved them on my old Cannons. Unfortunately the stops won't clear the end roller on my new Cannons and cause massive backlashes. They are just mothballed for now. I only remember on occasion having the Shuttle Hawk catch on the cable so it wouldn't come back to the surface. All I could figure is it was just crooked from a hit and wouldn't slide freely.

So when you're dropping it down, your ball is already at depth right? You're then hooking the Shuttle Hawk on the cable, clipping on your line, providing tension, which should send it down until it hits the stop. If that's the case, the only other thing I can think of is to widen the space where the cable slides through the Shuttle Hawk?

I remember talking to some that didn't like 'em, but I actually miss 'em! Good luck, Ryno
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - SkunkedAgain - 07-21-2014

Nice looking batch of Kokes and the results look delicious. Thanks for the great post and review. Later J
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - wiperhunter2 - 07-21-2014

The last time I was there the water level was almost up to that big tree and I did not even get my back tires wet, has the water level dropped below those Willows yet? Years ago, I was launching in low water conditions by the first launch near the dam, when I went to retrieve my boat, it caused my truck to slide sideways and my truck almost went into the lake. I could not get the boat out without my truck sliding into the water and I could not get the boat off the trailer because of the bind in the winch, so I had to cut the strap, then reload the boat at a different location. I ended up doing the same thing you did, winching the boat up onto the trailer. As soon as I got home I ordered a two speed winch from Cabala's and I have never regretted it, money well spent imo.
Nice of them to donating some swag for the DAV raffle [cool].
[signature]

Re: [SkunkedAgain] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - DKStroutfitter - 07-21-2014

I use and like the Shuttle Hawks.
I have not had a problem with them fraying the cables on my down riggers.
I do have to add an extra rubber stopper to the cable for the Hawks.
The only problem that I have had with them is when I troll under 1 mph. That speed doesn't let the Hawk go down the line very fast or smooth.
I used to love using them with my manual down riggers at the Pig. I would only use the Hawks and never had to crank up the riggers after a hit.
I don't know why your Hawks would fray your cable.
[signature]

Re: [Ryno] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]I never used the stopper because I was afraid of just that. What I was doing was letting my line out the back of the boat, and then I was zeroing out my line counter reel and then clipping my line into the hawk. From there I would just simply let out the desired amount of line, in this case 35’ and lock my reel in. When my downrigger cable got trashed it was because the cable that attaches the line release to the hawk got wrapped around it. How that happened I have no idea. [crazy] [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]When I would get bit on the lower pole I would obviously have to raise my ball. It was then after re-rigging the ball with a line and lure I would drop it down all the way to 50’. It was when I was doing this that the empty hawk would just get stuck on the cable and get pulled under never to return to the surface. [/font]
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]I can’t say about the big tree or willows. I’m not a pig pro yet. This was my first trip up there in almost 20 years.[/font]
[signature]

Re: [DKStroutfitter] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-21-2014

[font "Calibri"]How do you keep the hawk from coming off the cable? Do you use a rubber band? I was reading on another forum to use a metal paper clap clip, the type you often see or use in an office to ensure the hawk doesn’t come off the cable. I wouldn’t think something that small would create enough drag to give you problem but heck what do I know. [/font]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - DKStroutfitter - 07-21-2014

I don't add anything to the Hawk.
Mine snap on the line rather tight.
I like them.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - CoyoteSpinner - 07-22-2014

I took shots of both "ramps" on my weekend post. Guess the back launch pic isn't real clear. When I went with Petty last Friday of June - water was AT the willow line. Now it's maybe two car lengths past - starts getting steeper. The upper launch is much more gradual, but that also means you have to back farther in. Don't know where the tree went, but it's not in the way of anything.

I was lucky, and my spinners and stuff arrived Friday! Got some beads and wedding rings and hooksets too. Still need to try wetting my own "creations".

Is it etiquette to not park was at the bottom - so folks can turn their trailers around down there? Not easy - and plenty of rocks to "discover".
I realize the Saturday beach combers have no clue what a "launch" is. Maybe there ought to be a sign?

It is nice they installed that cleaning station there, especially if you have a parks pass. [Wink]
Nice looking smokies there. Got a brine, or just a sprinkle mix?

[inline IMG_20140719_084909_561.jpg]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - trapperdon - 07-22-2014

I use them a lot. Like them but it takes a little practice. I use the stop OK on my Mag 10 Canons. I suspect the cable fraying is caused by maintaining the pressure on the shuttle as it will vibrate from the water pressure as the shuttle is still trying to decend. By using the stop, pressure is released on the shuttle and it doesn't have the downward pressure on it any longer. The proper way to use it is to take some of the pressure off when it reaches depth. There is some art to detecting that and letting the pressure off the diver. I find that they don't work very well at speeds under 1.5 mph as the pressure of the water isn't strong enough to take the shuttle down very well. My experience. DLA
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - JLW - 07-22-2014

I have used shuttle hawks alot and they have always worked like a champ. I did loose one that popped off the cable so to fix that i cut a shallow slit on either side of the opening angled in with a hack saw blade and put a small rubber band there. works like a champ and will never loose one again. My opinion that clip will never let it run right. Good luck..... Fishon
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2014

Yote's pic below, is the back launch, you can make out the willows on the side of the Pic. Is that where you launched Trevor?
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-22-2014

[font "Calibri"]Yes sir, that’s the spot.[/font]
[signature]

Re: [WiperMac] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2014

I figured you would have had a tough time launching at that first launch. I can barely make it with my 16 ft boat and your 18 fter would have been very hard. Still a nice little lake, wish I could figure out those big browns there.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk) - WiperMac - 07-22-2014

[font "Calibri"]I did have one nice looking brown come to play, somewhere around 17”-18” but he fought like an 8” walleye. I was very disappointed in his performance. If I wasn’t fishing with a 7’ Kokanee ultra-light rod I most likely would have dragged him around the lake until I did a bait check. [crazy][/font]
[signature]