Fishing Forum
Opinions on downriggers - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Fishing Gear, Gadgets, Techinques, Tactics &Tips (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=129)
+--- Thread: Opinions on downriggers (/showthread.php?tid=922865)

Pages: 1 2

Opinions on downriggers - Zhorntix - 03-10-2015

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking around for a little while now. I actually decided to jump on the forums tonight to look for some opinions on downriggers. I thought it would be nice to start contributing what I can, especially when all the hard work is really just a good day on the water.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Willard 3/9 - RILEYFISH - 03-10-2015

Welcome aboard. As far as rigers, go with Scotty. they are the best hands down.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Willard 3/9 - mtncat1 - 03-11-2015

if you get riggers get cannons there much better than the scottys in design , features , and ease of operation. sorry to all you that got stuck with Scotty's [sly]
[signature]

Re: [mtncat1] Willard 3/9 - HD7000 - 03-11-2015

I'm going to have to second the Cannon vote!
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - MisterCompletely - 03-11-2015

I use Canon Mag 10's, and highly recommend them. On the other hand, you didn't say whether you're looking for a small manual rigger or a big old electric. There are plenty of charter boats with Scotty's and lots of guys swear by them. Read all the info and reviews you can find online and go with what appeals to you. I have an assortment of Canon manual riggers also, and have never had any complaints with any of them.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - mallardmann - 03-11-2015

I'm not super impressed with the Cannons on my dad's boat. They are manual lake trolls and you have to be very careful while dropping the weight. I usually thumb the spool to keep it from dropping too fast and breaking something. Other than that they seem okay. When I buy a boat I'm thinking of putting Scotty's on it. I've never used them but I'm certainly not married to the Cannons.
[signature]

Re: [mallardmann] Opinions on downriggers - wiperhunter2 - 03-11-2015

Strange, I have both manual and auto cannons and have never had that experience. I have used Scottys with no complaints but the bottom line for me is that the Cannons that I have bought were cheaper and they work fine. When you are letting out the cable on your Dads manuel riggers, were you using the break as you let the weight down. If you use the break, you should never have the problem you described.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - SBennett - 03-11-2015

Buy Cannons!
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - bkidder - 03-11-2015

I've been using cannon for 20 years. I've had zero issues. Started out with sport trolls (now called lake trolls). Moved on to mini mags. I've used easy trolls on relatives boats, the new mag 5's too. I have been using digi troll 4's for the last 7 or 8 years. Never a problem, and from what I have seen the new units just keep getting more impressive. I've never tried Scotty. Probably never will. I've never seen a reason to give Scotty, walker, Penn, big John or any other brand my business.

As far as issues lowering a lake troll the clutch should slow the decent if properly used. I never wore one out but with improper use I believe it could happen pretty quick. I'd take the handle off and check the parts for wear. Parts are cheap if they are worn out. A couple things that could prematurely wear a clutch out... Using too heavyof weights, over tightening the handle. Use only the weights your unit is rated for and only tighten the handle enough to keep the weight where you want it. Keepingit loose is good practice anyways in case you snag bottom.
[signature]

Re: [bkidder] Opinions on downriggers - mallardmann - 03-11-2015

Yeah, his clutch brake sounds like it is definitely worn out. I cant back the handle up and do a "slow descent" without thumbing the spool. That sucker wants to head straight to the bottom.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - Lundman - 03-11-2015

Why don't you go out and fish with the fisherman that have the various brands and then make your decision? Seem like that would make the most sense -

If you are the proud of your rigger brand and want to throw $5 in a kitty and let him decide the winner sounds like a possible contest ?

[fishon]
[signature]

Re: [Lundman] Opinions on downriggers - bkidder - 03-11-2015

I'm not "proud" of my downrigger brand of choice. I didn't design or build them. But the thread was a question on downrigger opinions. I gave mine. It's based on 20 years experience. I'd love to hear why scottys are so great. I'd love to hear the advantages of any other brand over cannon. But in 20 years I've never heard of any. If Scotty works for you, great. I'm sure they're fine. It's not complicated technology to go up and down. I'm sure any brand will work.

As far as the clutch... You should be able to easily slow the decent with one hand. Order some replacement parts and it will be good as new for a few bucks. In the future, don't exceed weight limits and don't overtighten. It should last year's and years.
[signature]

Re: [Lundman] Opinions on downriggers - Zhorntix - 03-11-2015

I have a one buddy that really likes his cannon downriggers. That being said his units were manual and pretty easy to use. he isn't brand loyal to cannon, he's more opportunistic. He came ran into a great deal and he's just kept using them for years and years now.

I think what i'm looking for is more on an opinion on how much to spend on them or what is a good starter unit. I will usually spend most of my trips out on Willard, Pine view or Strawberry.

With a new fish finder that has a much better picture than the previous unit I now see more fish than before. I'm looking at being able to target fish more specifically at Strawberry or Pine view. How deep do I need to be able to go? how deep is most of the fishing going to be? Are there features that you wouldn't do without?

Thanks for all of your answers so far, I'm spending even more time on Google than I thought I would.

Chris

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - bkidder - 03-11-2015

They're all going to go plenty deep. At strawberry I go as deep as 50 for kokanee but normally am not near that deep. 20-40. Just depends on where the fish are given time of year, water temps, forage, daylight etc. The type of boat you have and the kind of mounts available could be a factor.

Features I won't live without... I won't go without bottom tracking. But that's hardly s starter feature. But you asked.

Spend some time in the Utah bft archives. If they're still there from my bft days we used to talk about this stuff all the time. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask or pm.
[signature]

Re: [bkidder] Opinions on downriggers - wiperhunter2 - 03-11-2015

I just looked up the bottom track feature, that must be a pretty pricy rigger to buy but looks sweet. How fast can it retrieve line if you come up on an underwater cliff?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfUfLBsGhyU
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Opinions on downriggers - bkidder - 03-11-2015

I think it's like 250 ft a minute on the old 4's. I think the new digi trolls are the same. With GPS contours is there a reason to ever run into a cliff anymore? Haha. I tested it in Linwood bay one day when I first got them. We were headed for the rocks to pitch for some smallmouth after a day of trolling for Lakers. We headed right for the wall. I got to watch the weight follow the rock right up for the last 20 feet. It was that clear. I don't think it ever bumped a rock. Theres also some user responsibility in selecting how far off the bottom to track, compensate for blowback etc. With that said... We generally troll under 2mph GPS. If you were going quicker I imagine you could bump. I dragged my old sport trolls enough to know that it isn't the end of the world anyways. Keep your clutch loose. If you snag... Back up and work it loose. Don't force it. I've only lost one weight even though I used to snag all the time.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - skidmarximus88 - 03-11-2015

only ever used Cannons and have never had any problems. for what you pay for a cannon they work excellent. just make sure you get the ones with the line counters. any down rigger is better than no down rigger. makes trolling a lot more relaxing and fun.
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - BearLakeFishGuy - 03-11-2015

I have used Cannons, Penns, Scotty and Big Jon downriggers. I like the Cannons the best, but Penns are right up there too. The spools on the Big Jons are too small in diameter and if you don't have an electric, it take FOREVER to wind up the weight. You'll have to decide if you want the spool on the downrigger either vertical (like on Cannons, Penns, and Big Jons) or horizontal like on Scottys. I don't like the horizontal spools for a couple of reasons. Too difficult to wind them up manually for me since I find winding them horizontally an "un-natural" movement. I also find the horizontal spools are in the way too much compared to the vertical spools. Its all a matter of personal preference. Right now I have two manual 820 Penns and a Cannon Min Mag electric.
[signature]

Re: [BearLakeFishGuy] Opinions on downriggers - bkidder - 03-12-2015

Very interesting insight from a guy that's fished multiple brands. I loved my cannon mini mags. Very tough well built downrigger!
[signature]

Re: [Zhorntix] Opinions on downriggers - mtncat1 - 03-12-2015

[quote Zhorntix]I have a one buddy that really likes his cannon downriggers. That being said his units were manual and pretty easy to use. he isn't brand loyal to cannon, he's more opportunistic. He came ran into a great deal and he's just kept using them for years and years now.

I think what i'm looking for is more on an opinion on how much to spend on them or what is a good starter unit. I will usually spend most of my trips out on Willard, Pine view or Strawberry.

With a new fish finder that has a much better picture than the previous unit I now see more fish than before. I'm looking at being able to target fish more specifically at Strawberry or Pine view. How deep do I need to be able to go? how deep is most of the fishing going to be? Are there features that you wouldn't do without?

Thanks for all of your answers so far, I'm spending even more time on Google than I thought I would.

Chris[/quote] as far as electrics canon can be power down for a controlled decent, Scotty's have to be lowered manually. as far as depth strawberry you catch most fish at around 30 to 50 feet. but it's not unusual to catch down to 70 feet. but it is difficult to release fish caught at that depth. the best downrigger is the one you can get. they are really fun no matter which brand
[signature]