Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Catfish Contest TNA
Nothing yet. Just practicing the hardest part. Jeff do you still need to check my board I used before? If so let me know and I will get it posted for calibration. Thanks.
[signature]
If you don't mind just post up a photo of your board with the tape next to it... have it here on this post so we have a reference... It's not essential, but probably good to have... The biggest problems we have is with cheap scales or home printed stuff, it sometimes doesn't come out accurate for length... This just helps so when we are trying to pick that biggest fish within an 1/8" we know we got the right one and not that we had a measurement glitch... Good to have you after them, sure hope it will be a good year... Good luck... Jeff
[signature]
Uh TNA, you are going to need a bigger board.
[signature]
And a bigger boat!!!
[signature]
Here's a pic of the board and a few cats I found while out doing a little scouting. Looks promising even this early. Caught eleven in about 2 hours. 14 to 28 inches. Good times ahead!!!!
[signature]
Board approved and you should have measured those it’s game on already. Nice fish. Congrats J
[signature]
TNA - was that you out at the BRBR boat ramp Saturday?
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I did measure but didn't have my placard. I haven't even printed it yet. This was just supposed to be a quick recon. I hate to admit it but I was ill prepared for actually catching something. I will print my placard and try to do my part for the north. It should be a good year for us.
[signature]
Nope. I haven't been out there in a long time. Would love to take the boat out there but no idea where to fish. I've waterfowl hunted out that way but never fished it. Maybe I will give it a go.
[signature]
If you happen to forget it in the future, just take a piece of paper and put your name and 2019 on it... It will work in a pinch and we'll count it... You've got me ready to give it a try... nice to see they are hungry and feeding, I need to be fishing... Thanks for the wake up call... Later J
[signature]
Will do. It is pretty early but definitely head out. They were a lot more active than I would have thought. Hopefully you can get out. Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks I may give it a try after work and see if I can find some. Nice day today ought to make for active fish I’d think. Thanks J
[signature]
If you have a flat bottom boat or shallow draft boat, from the ramp back north-east toward the hunt club there are numerous spots that can hold cats. I usually go towards the hunt club and work the bends in the river and anywhere other irrigation ditches feed in. It does seem to get pretty shallow right behind the hunt club and further up about 300 yards. never been past that point. Always gets into my "no-go-too-shallow" limit of less than 2 feet.
[signature]

Cool
I have a long tail motor and my boat floats in wet grass. My no go is about 6 inches with a full boat unless I have a run and really want to get somewhere then I will try straight mud as long as its only a short distance. Yes I have had to push, pull and wade.[blush]So it sounds like a great spot for me to try. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will see you out there. Good luck.
[signature]
You just might. If you see this rig in the ramp lot, then I'm on the river somewhere.

[inline "(018) 8 March 2018 South ramps.jpg"]

Or I could be sittin out along the bank somewhere

[inline 100_0546.JPG]

I'm always up to meet a BFT member. Like to put a face to a name.

[fishin]
[signature]

Cool
Bear River April 8 fishing with my pops. Good to get him out after a winter in Arizona.
He was the official bait catcher and one small channel. I think 20 inches but not the best pic.

[#00bf00]Glad you two had a fun trip out, good for 20 points...[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Nice looking kitty.
[signature]
Hey TC, I didn't know the "river" was deep enough to cover much of it in a boat. How far down can you get?
[signature]
[Smile]Cutler marsh. June 1. Caught about 20 but these 3 were the biggest of the day. 25, 27 and 26 I believe but not quite sure on the one. They had a lot of life in them and didn't want to pose very well.

[#00bf00]Nice job, good for 25, 26 and 27 points... [/#00bf00]
[signature]
Hey Pisco, I sure wasn't ignoring your question, I just never saw it until today. Not sure how much you know about the Bear River in the Bird Refuge area. But I will go on the assumption you wouldn't have asked if you knew. The boat ramp that can be used by anglers is about 1.5 mile +/- before you get to the bottom where the bridges and gates are.
Heading up-river or roughly north-east-ish I have been able to get about a mile past the point on my boat GPS map that says "Willow Creek". Right now I could probably go further cuz the water level is up, but later in the summer as it gets lower, I start seeing 1.3 to 1.5 on my sonar, and thats where I stop. Guys with duck boat and long shaft "mud" motor go much further. There are probably others that know the river better than I do that can take a 16 foot fishing boat all the way up to Corrine.

The last attachment is as far as I went today. The depth indicated can give false confidence cuz it can change in just a few yards, or even feet . And because it is a river, it can always have recent dead falls floating just under the surface.
[signature]

Cool