Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cat Chat
To all you northern team members, the cats are stirring on the Bear. Yesterday afternoon I caught a 28" and a 26" with another that ran me into a snag and ended up breaking me off.

I also broke my net handle yesterday by stepping on it as I was taking the 28" back to the waters edge to release her. Grrrr! The cat had a piece of lighter mono hanging out of her mouth that she obviously had broken off from another fisherperson.

John got his 1st 30" on the board and the North is now within 2 inches of the top 10 lead. We need help in both the top 10 and 20. Lets go get em.
(05-06-2020, 07:27 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: To all you northern team members, the cats are stirring on the Bear. Yesterday afternoon I caught a 28" and a 26" with another that ran me into a snag and ended up breaking me off.

I also broke my net handle yesterday by stepping on it as I was taking the 28" back to the waters edge to release her. Grrrr! The cat had a piece of lighter mono hanging out of her mouth that she obviously had broken off from another fisherperson.

John got his 1st 30" on the board and the North is now within 2 inches of the top 10 lead. We need help in both the top 10 and 20. Lets go get em.

Paul, I tried to "go get em" today. Was the only person I saw on the river until about 2 P.M. when I was leaving.  Had lots of tugs and taps, but only one landed. And it wasn't big enough for big, or small enough for small.......Confused

[Image: 031-6-May-2020-CPR.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
That's too bad, my last couple of trips have been good. I see you caught one of the bait strippers. Those things will strip the meat right off the skin of a piece of bait. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of them in the river. If I get one start to tap it, I reel in and cast to a different spot. They are annoying.
(05-07-2020, 12:12 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That's too bad, my last couple of trips have been good. I see you caught one of the bait strippers. Those things will strip the meat right off the skin of a piece of bait. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of them in the river. If I get one start to tap it, I reel in and cast to a different spot. They are annoying.

Yea, I try that changing spots too. But I must have been right in the middle of the Kitty nursery Tongue. Nothing would take the bait bags I had on larger hooks, but  the other line with just worms (trying for a Carp) would get almost constant taps.

Cool
I decided to start cleaning out the freezer of last years sucker pieces, chunks, sections and heads. I want to use them up so I can restock with fresh new bait. I baited up with a pretty big sucker head today and got another big cat. 30.5".

[Image: 20200507-144257.jpg]

[Image: 20200507-144418.jpg]
Paul, pending Jeff's approval, that 30.5" Cat puts the North and South teams tied up for top 10.  Sure glad you and a couple other north members are keeping us in close with the south  Undecided

Cool
Weird day today, I took my family out fishing in the middle of the day and everyone knows the big cats don't bite at 1:00 PM... Also you have to go somewhere tough to get to, if you want a big one right?  Well while we were pulling in mudcats all of a sudden my pole takes off and nearly gets away from me... I ran and grabbed it and it was pulling like crazy so I told everyone I had a big carp probably 27"er... thought that through several reel screaming runs and I eventually got it in close enough to see what it was, then I got nervous, it was a big cat, not only that it was my best of the year... Fun kitty.... Well fifteen minutes later, my pole takes off again and I got it before it went in the pond and this one fought even harder I thought and I couldn't get it up off the bottom, it just hugged the bottom... Well turned out to be another nice cat, but a few inches smaller than the first, in the middle of the day... go figure... Glad I took the crew out fishing today, but I'm not sure I earned these fish, they didn't fit my mold for when to catch big fish, no mosquitos, no hanging out all hours of the night, it was too easy of conditions, plus it was after I started farming and I never hardly ever catch big fish after I start farming... well glad all my rules got broken today... Oh and the big boy was on a night crawler, big fish only take cut bait right???  Glad I was wrong a lot today... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Nice fish Skunked!
It's really been a slow start down here on the lower Bear River. The main river is low, finding a lot of the little guys 24 to 27 inch. The 30's just not in my spots this year. Paul is doing great 3 fish over 30. and the south is really hualing them in also.  
Here's some pictures of last weeks fish:
[Image: 100-0271.jpg]   [Image: 100-0274.jpg]  [Image: 100-0278.jpg] [Image: 100-0280.jpg] [Image: 100-0282.jpg] [Image: 100-0284.jpg] [Image: 100-0288.jpg] [Image: 100-0290.jpg] [Image: 100-0292.jpg]  [Image: 100-0297.jpg]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
sharksugar101 pid= Wrote:Nice fish Skunked!

Thanks it sure did pull hard. Really thought it was a big carp it fought better than most cats have. Thanks J
Might be a bit before we can help team North in the Cat battle. Cookie had a stroke yesterday, related to her MS. She is recovering quickly and fights back with a vengance, but may be a bit before she is water ready. For the record this is her third stroke like incident (I think they call them TIA or mini strokes) since she started this battle with MS. 

I will use the time to produce some small creature fligs for panfish that I have been pondering a design for. 

Keep them photos coming, it will get her blood up to get back out quick.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I am so sorry to hear that. Keep us posted on how she is doing. We all are rooting for her on a speedy recovery.
A get well soon from TinCansMate, and me. Hope to meet up with your crew sometime this summer. 
Shy

Cool
Prayers Cookie. Get well soon
Cookie prayers and well wishes as well. Hope you bounce back quick with no ill effects. Best of luck. Jeff
Sorry to here the bad news. I will keep her and you in my prayers.
Wishing you a speedy bounce back Cookie. We really need the bit of class the ladies bring to this board so hope to see you "water ready" soon. My wife struggles with MS so we know how unpredictable it can be. She sends her best to you too. Fish on.
(05-22-2020, 05:17 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Wishing you a speedy bounce back Cookie. We really need the bit of class the ladies bring to this board so hope to see you "water ready" soon. My wife struggles with MS so we know how unpredictable it can be. She sends her best to you too. Fish on.

We sure do.  Smile  And North Team could use your Catfishin abilities also.  Get better soon, keep us all posted. 

Wow, this is quite an improvement. Site is behaving quite well. I was even able to post some replies and a photo or two today from the Bear River Bird Refuge.  No Cats to report, but I hit my 2 fish limit again.......... Confused  2 Carp that is.  Those ladies were fortunate today, I still have 3 bags full of frozen Carp bait from last trip to the BRBR.  So I let them go with only minor lip damage. 

Now I'm gonna see if the new improved site will let me post some totally unimportant photos from today. 

[Image: 035-22-May-2020.jpg]

First stop

[Image: 036.jpg]

Second stop

[Image: 037-Carp-1-22-May-2020.jpg]     [Image: 038-Carp-2-22-May-2020.jpg]

2 Carp CPR

[Image: 040.jpg]   [Image: 041.jpg]

Last stop.
A cloudy day, started out a bit breezy but was warm, and stayed dry.
Can't believe how well the camera in the new phone works.  Next time, 
hopefully I'll test it out on a Cat on my bump board.
Long weekend coming, who knows, might get lucky      Cool

Cool
Very nice pictures Forest. I did have any luck that day, all I got were a couple of carp in the cast net.
It's good to be able to get back on the forum and start getting caught back up with the reports. Cookie sends her love and txs for the kind thoughts. She is recovering fast but we both know after two of these events that life will be changing for us. Working on what that means....

But the good news, she says she is ready to go out and work on improving our score on the board. Will do a cautious trial run in the next couple days. Maybe we will see ya John/Forest on the banks as she is determined to pull a 30 out of the refugee
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew