Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deercreek in the cold
Braved the rain and coldddd wind at Deercreek this morning.  Was the lone boat for most of the morning.  Water temp 66.  Wind increased all morning with whitecaps when we pulled out about 1:30.  Wanted to focus on walleye instead of trout this time so rigged with bottom bouncers with some small spinners.  In early morning fishing was as cold as the north wind.  Had to put up plastic to keep warm.  The higher the waves, the better the fishing.  Was ready to leave about 12:00 with 2 19” bows that liked my spinners, 1 jumbo perch and three small eyes when we got a double hookup.Brought in a 17” eye on one rod, but the other was on an ultra light perch rod that looked like like it was glued to the bottom.  After quite a tussle saw. Some color and netted my personal eye from Deercreek.  Measured 23”.  Didn’t weigh it though.  Good memories with two good friends. Smile[Image: 93016-BF0-D21-D-4-ED0-9713-FF2-A099-B5-BF8.jpg]
That is a great eye!!!
Nice work. I am hoping to put my kids on some eyes on the 6th of July. Hopefully the high traffic the days before will not put a damper on our success. Gabe
That is a great catch, congrats.
Great report and pic, congrats on getting you PB eye from DC. I've never used spinners for walleye before, what kind of spinners were you using and how fast were you pulling them?
(06-30-2020, 07:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pic, congrats on getting you PB eye from DC. I've never used spinners for walleye before, what kind of spinners were you using and how fast were you pulling them?
Interesting ... I have never used anything but spinners for them, but I am not an expert by any means.  I make homemade spinners.  Best colors are orange/green/silver combination and pearl/silver with brass spinner.  The spinner I used at d Deercreek had two #2 sickle octopus hooks, (5) 6mm beads .. green glo - orange glo - green glo - Orange glok -  Green glo, with a silver size 0 Colorado Blade.  Put a half night crawler between the hooks.  Put on a bottom bouncer and troll at .0 to 1.3.  I can make you a couple if you want.  Just let me know.
(07-01-2020, 12:02 AM)trueblue2 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 07:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pic, congrats on getting you PB eye from DC. I've never used spinners for walleye before, what kind of spinners were you using and how fast were you pulling them?
Interesting ... I have never used anything but spinners for them, but I am not an expert by any means.  I make homemade spinners.  Best colors are orange/green/silver combination and pearl/silver with brass spinner.  The spinner I used at d Deercreek had two #2 sickle octopus hooks, (5) 6mm beads .. green glo - orange glo - green glo - Orange glok -  Green glo, with a silver size 0 Colorado Blade.  Put a half night crawler between the hooks.  Put on a bottom bouncer and troll at .0 to 1.3.  I can make you a couple if you want.  Just let me know.

LOL, I misunderstood, when you said spinners, I thought you were talking about spinners like Mepps or Roostertail, sounds like you are talking about worm harnesses.  I'll send you a PM.