Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Charlevoix Smallmouth Fishing
My buddy Jim had an earlier vacation this year than prior years we went up north. We figured it shouldn't affect to fishing to much, but man we wrong there. Finding the fish pre-spawn was much more difficult. Weather patterns were terrible to fish in as well. This particular day (May5th) the water surface temperature as running 43 degrees and air temperature in the morning was 29 degrees. It was a real roll of the dice this year going early. Each day we fished was a grind, but we did manage to catch some decent smallmouth and walleye, but certainly not in the numbers we would have liked. I'm headed back up in about 3 weeks. I'm thinking the fish will be post spawn then. I may have to try Traverse Bay or Little Traverse. This Charlevoix video below has some aerial views of the lake, underwater shots, and of-course some good fish catches.

Lake Charlevoix Video

Attached Files Image(s)

Sounds like some tough fishing conditions but those are some nice bass and that eye was really a good fish. Thanks for sharing your report and video. By the way, I edited your post, so your whole pic is visible, some recent changes in the site has been causing some problems when adding pics.
Thanks for the edit. Much appreciated. I'm headed back there with the Mrs.'s in a couple weeks. I hope those fish don't disappear on me again. lol If not, I may try Little Traverse Bay. I have to figure out where the boat launches are for it.
(05-31-2021, 12:23 AM)Bigbass101 Wrote: Thanks for the edit.  Much appreciated.  I'm headed back there with the Mrs.'s in a couple weeks.  I hope those fish don't disappear on me again.  lol  If not, I may try Little Traverse Bay.  I have to figure out where the boat launches are for it.

How big was that walleye and your biggest bass while you were there on that trip?